Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

worst part is I bet the Menkes folks are endlessly patting themselves on the back for this:

upload_2018-1-30_14-47-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_14-47-51.png
    upload_2018-1-30_14-47-51.png
    231 KB · Views: 298
It's crappy from any angle, but it reads particularly awkward in siteplan. Absolutely no articulation according to its surroundings whatsoever, and the southwest corner of the overhead volume ends at a point immediately above the footprint of the podium below. Not over it (because of property line, of course), but not tucked back. Just lined immediately up with the property line to maximize that sweet, sweet square footage. Menkes shouldn't have involved themselves with an "Innovation Centre" project if they're not interested in ponying up extra investment for said innovation in the actual design.

Maximized square footage, minimized design thought.

Sweeny&Co and the Waterfront Design Review Panel alike must be incredibly frustrated by the lack of ambition here. Imagine as a designer, being hired to do an "Innovation Centre", or any project for that matter, on a prime waterfront site like this one - only to find out that in fact, your client wants lowest-common-denominator design. Blech.

It's crappy from any angle, but it reads particularly awkward in siteplan. Absolutely no articulation according to its surroundings whatsoever, and the southwest corner of the overhead volume ends at a point immediately above the footprint of the podium below. Not over it (because of property line, of course), but not tucked back. Just lined immediately up with the property line to maximize that sweet, sweet square footage. Menkes shouldn't have involved themselves with an "Innovation Centre" project if they're not interested in ponying up extra investment for said innovation in the actual design.

Maximized square footage, minimized design thought.

To be fair, WT should have not chosen a proponent with a p*ss poor record for design innovation either.

AoD

What can I say....... That AoD has not expressed with such eloquence and wit?

Well, for the record..........this is insipid, boring, sterile, lacking ambition, from a developer who clearly lacks a sense of shame.

But don't ask me what I really think....this is a PG forum!

Thank You Menkes, for wasting such a valuable and prime piece of waterfront real estate for the garbage you like to call the "Innovation" Centre.

I guess Waterfront Toronto learned nothing from the numerous mistakes that have happened in the past.

Absolutely revolting. Shame on Waterfront Toronto, Menkes and everyone involved.

I'm loathing the shovel ceremony where Tory, Trudeau et al will declare the site as a new 'hub of innovation and disruption' for a building as inspiring as an insurance office in Evansville, Indiana.

It's just ugly. Why the two halves?

Innovation Centre? It's just a trendy name. Think people are reading too much into that. How innovative are really these incubators for venture capitalists to get in at the seed level in a one stop shop? This just looks like an ordinary office development too.

Back