Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

There are no plans to demolish the Ed Mirvish Theatre. If you post carelessly, someone won't realize that it's idle speculation and the thread will go off on some crazy tangent.

So HNR are the developers of this building? Does anyone know who will be taking care of the rental units? I haven't found anything online yet about it.

I hope we can retain the narrow storefronts and amiable miscellany of signs and styles like in that photo, perhaps by doing what they did with 5ive. We need to preserve not just individual buildings, but the feeling of a strip like that. I hope we can come to a compromise that satisfies all parties because a whole row of Footlocker type facades would be very depressing there.

From Bay St:
IMG_4945.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,736
Yeah its nostalgic alright, but seeing whats going on Yonge its days are numbered
..away from that first building @ Dundas Square, everything south of there excluding the last bldg. @ Shuter Street is a mishmash of mostly nothing heritage worthy,
hopefully in time something half decent gets planned down that stretch

I disagree too. In that photo alone, putting aside the first building at Dundas Square (the Hard Rock in the old Childs Restaurant building) and the Mirvish Theatre noted by NBGtect, there are at least three other well-maintained worthy heritage buildings in that photo alone. There is, in fact, something very decent there on a number of those lots.

We shouldn't be all that anxious for anyone to demolish this stretch of street, given that the type of building subject to this thread is one possible result.

Not much worth keeping, I like the building that the money mart is in along with the others mentioned (hard rock cafe building, ed mirvish theatre), wouldn't care if the rest got demo'd.

I do like the big city feel it brings to the square. Of course this is at night.

IMG_7208.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7208.JPG
    IMG_7208.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 1,270
From the east:

IMG_9159.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9159.jpg
    IMG_9159.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 991
I do like the big city feel it brings to the square.

This to me is the one of the only exciting aspects about this project. And despite it not being very tall (relatively speaking), it has a significant impact over the square. The enclosure of Yonge-Dundas with tall buildings gives it more of a Times-Square-esque feel (even though it never will be), and will help contain some of the light noise from a distance - at the cost of those who will live in this building of course.

If only a design like Exhibit Condos were built here instead, there would be a tremendous opportunity for architectural expression by adding a character to the square and the design of the building itself. Instead, Exhibit is sandwiched on Bloor Street between two buildings while this POS gets the whole square and airspace to itself... Funny how that works.

Funny how the real estate market works? Yes, indeed! A high-end building located here would be a very hard sell. That's why Exhibit is where it is and not here. Massey Tower is as good as it's going to get in the general area (and we are lucky to get). Not sure why people go on and on about us having such low standards for architecture across from a loud, busy square that only a certain segment of the population would want to live in. It's a filler, rental building. Nothing more. Expecting a stunning building of architectural quality or a Bloor-Yorkville type building is just plain silly.

This would have made a better location for a hotel.

One would think that except that local hotels at Gerrard St and ones along Jarvis close by are going to be closing down to become mixed use developments. So maybe part hotel, part rental apts would have worked well.

Back