Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Well let's not blame the City here. Unless I'm wrong, the DRP is voluntary and the City is discouraged from determining aesthetics in new developments. "Free market" and all that right? And the free market built this pile.
What I meant by "city has its shit together" was that back when this went through, we hadn't gotten the DRP together yet.

While there's a voluntary nature to the DRP, if you're asked to go, the development culture here demands that you go. If you're asked to refine or redesign, you do, and you try to take into account the concerns of the panel members (not all of which always align), but no-one's looking over your shoulder at the time to tell you precisely how to fix things. DRP requests carry a lot of suasion to improve the designs prior to approvals from the City, because both planners and City Councillors are likely to look more favourably on a project when it has responded to DRP concerns.

Really? I've not noticed a move from realize to realise, or any of the ize /ise words, but perhaps haven't noticed.

But never saw realise, or ise endings, as being Canadian spelling in the first place.

Defence on the other hand has long been a Canadian spelling - everything from defenceman to Department of National Defence.

Of course, I never meant to cause offence, either. Not like this building (which we should get back to).

HNR, BTW, did an outstanding job on the new front doors facing Dundas Square, and the restored exterior of 21 Dundas Square (the terracotta-faced tower) is beautiful too, so it's unfortunate that they haven't also dedicated a large enough budget to the exterior of the new tower.

at the end of the day it's a rental and probably will rent well given the locations. Renters and most buyers don't really care about the outside of a building.

Demolish? You will be funding it I suppose?
They are here to make money as well as to provide housing for people who want to live in the core but don't really care how impressive the architecture is, not to beautify the city. Most of the city's buildings will be boring and many ugly. That's a fact we have to accept.

Are you trolling?

I prefer OUR spelling ;-) which is the British way. Anyhoo. My my this building is causing such consternation. I'm not a fan but I am waiting for more of the finish and hope it turns out somewhat OK. Someone stated earlier it's a filler, a rental, etc. However ,with all due respect, I do not agree with Ksun as to most people not caring. Has he/she not been reading this thread? Many people do care and hence the consternation.

My view south is ruined.
IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4760.JPG
    IMG_4760.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 911
  • IMG_4762.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 881
How hard would it be to demolish a building like this in the future? Would it be possible while keeping the historical buildings intact?

Back