Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Hmm?

I'm not asking for anyone to attempt a defence of this building other than those involved with creating it. They'd have a very hard time selling us on it.

Agreed but I think the frustration comes from the fact that we all know DSAI is capable of so much more. It's not Kirkor or G+C we're talking about here. Yet these three recent works, each from a different developer and all with different budgets, just seem like lazy, poor efforts. I think the folks at DSAI are not an untalented bunch - but when the expectations are elevated because the firm's track record is that much more solid, each miss just seems that much more off-putting.

I think that's very well put - that the frustration is precisely because the firm has a good track record, and each misstep will be a hit on their portfolio.

AoD

There's not much anyone can do with a cheap, 60% spandrel window wall and a developer that like this colour combination. Those that can would just walk away.

Cheap I can understand, but the colour combination? Presumably precast of a less offensive colour wouldn't be that much difference in price. The fundamental lack of taste is the issue here.

AoD

Given it's location, this building 'could' have made a positive impact on Dundas Square...

Here's an easier way to look at this building:
IMG_4753.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 825
at the end of the day it's a rental and probably will rent well given the locations. Renters and most buyers don't really care about the outside of a building.

at the end of the day it's looking like it's going to be an ugly reminder that this city did not have its shit together when it was approved.

at the end of the day it's looking like it's going to be an ugly reminder that this city did not have its shit together when it was approved.

Well let's not blame the City here. Unless I'm wrong, the DRP is voluntary and the City is discouraged from determining aesthetics in new developments. "Free market" and all that right? And the free market built this pile.

On the bright side, it's not too late to reclad. Or demolish. Is it?

Demolish? You will be funding it I suppose?
They are here to make money as well as to provide housing for people who want to live in the core but don't really care how impressive the architecture is, not to beautify the city. Most of the city's buildings will be boring and many ugly. That's a fact we have to accept.

Demolish? You will be funding it I suppose?
They are here to make money as well as to provide housing for people who want to live in the core but don't really care how impressive the architecture is, not to beautify the city. Most of the city's buildings will be boring and many ugly. That's a fact we have to accept.

First, CanadianNational's comment was clearly tongue-in-cheek. No need for a snarky response.

And, second, we do not "have to accept" boring and ugly architecture.

This should be a 'showcase' location ... everybody will see this thing all the time. Boring has its place and this isn't it.

Other international cities don't accept garbage in the most prominent locations, so why should Toronto? Also, regarding view blockage, it's even more depressing that this pos will block the view of Massey Tower when walking south on Yonge. As for destruction, well, too bad shitty buildings can't be rebooted like bad movies.

Back