Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Wouldn't that be 'formerly Tracks 1, 2, 3A, 3B'?

I've been wondering whether they will take the removed original Bush trainshed parts from the atrium area and use them to replace the later trainshed over the southernmost covered tracks... then it would all match. Is this what you mean, drum118?

And yes, Gare Centrale's retail amenities are far nicer than those at Union Station. I like the design of Gare Centrale's main hall too. But Union Station's platforms are much nicer than those at Gare Centrale... which is scary.

But does it have a Harveys like Union? :)

At the danger of getting off-topic, I think Gare Centrale is dreadful!

Aside from the dingy Platforms, I don't really care for anything else about it either!

Parts of the exterior induce feelings of nausea!

I vote to bring back Windsor Station in Montreal, its much nicer, the building is still there; all you have to do is tear down that stupid arena in the way, and re-lay the tracks! :D

And then of course tear down that AMC that was the Forum and put the Forum back in the Forum! :p

There, much better!

P.S. I'm adding one thought, there is one thing I like about Gare Centrale (other than it being in Montreal!) They built proper platforms!

I still don't get how Union ever got such tiny platforms!

Last edited:
Not quite grokking your platform math, drum...

I reckon the names convert out like this:
Code:
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
__________________platform 3 (formerly platform 1)__________
+++++track 1++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++track 2++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 4 (formerly platform 2)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 5 (formerly platform 3A)_________
+++++track 3++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 6 (formerly platform 3B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 7 (formerly platform 4A)_________
+++++track 4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 8 (formerly platform 4B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 9 (formerly platform 5A)_________
+++++track 5++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 10 (formerly platform 5B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 11 (formerly platform 6A)________
+++++track 6++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 12 (formerly platform 6B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 13 (formerly platform 7A)________
+++++track 7++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 14 (formerly platform 7B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 15 (formerly platform 8A)________
+++++track 8++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Going purely by the rendering on page 3 of the GO News issue--and who knows about its accuracy or my eyeballing skills--the northern sliver of Bush shed that's running the whole length appears to cover tracks 1 and 2 and stops overtop platform 4/5. The bilevel car in the picture looks like it's on track 3, under the atrium.

Platform 7 should have been 5 where the glass start going south and typo on my part. Track 1 & 2 remain as is for the full length of the roof, but rebuilt.

GO needs to go back the the original numbering as this station has nothing to do with TTC Union station as it was here long before the subway came along.

So will the glass atrium be the final phase after all the restoration work is done on the components that will be kept? I can't see them starting from the south and working to the north on the glass atrium or it would fall over. They are going to need to put the supporting legs in first on multiple platforms before getting started on the atrium. Perhaps they will install the legs when the platforms are out of service (i.e. install the legs on 24-25 first, 20-21, 16-17, 12-13, 8-9, and then 4-5 last) and then construct the atrium. If they are starting from the south first then does that mean getting rid of the wall on platform 24-25 first? Also, based on the platform numbering they have chosen do they plan on adjusting the alignment of tracks 11 and 12 to put in platform 22-23?

Last edited:
But does it have a Harveys like Union? :)

I'm sure we have them beat there lol. Coincidentally enough I just happened to buy a chicken sandwich from there today.
It tasted like, well actually... it didn't have any taste at all. :rolleyes:
Which is still better than the McDonald’s, would of just made me felt like puking afterwards. Probably a good thing as I don't think my passengers would of made it safely home if had chose that option instead.

Last edited:
So will the glass atrium be the final phase after all the restoration work is done on the components that will be kept? I can't see them starting from the south and working to the north on the glass atrium or it would fall over. They are going to need to put the supporting legs in first on multiple platforms before getting started on the atrium. Perhaps they will install the legs when the platforms are out of service (i.e. install the legs on 24-25 first, 20-21, 16-17, 12-13, 8-9, and then 4-5 last) and then construct the atrium. If they are starting from the south first then does that mean getting rid of the wall on platform 24-25 first? Also, based on the platform numbering they have chosen do they plan on adjusting the alignment of tracks 11 and 12 to put in platform 22-23?

Read my posting.

24 and 25 will be done first.

Track numbers to remain as is on the shed.

Wouldn't that be 'formerly Tracks 1, 2, 3A, 3B'?

(...) But Union Station's platforms are much nicer than those at Gare Centrale... which is scary.

That's probaly true. Honnestly, when I take the train for Toronto, I don't pay much attention to the platforms here or there. I use them only for the two or three minutes it takes to go from the main hall into the train. But the main hall is where I spend my time waiting before boarding the train and Union Station's main hall seems to me really underwhelming and empty. But I guess it wouldn't take that much to improve on that.

For everyone who's a little confused by all these track and platform designations (like me before I started counting things out on my fingers and toes), I believe the full trainshed works out something like this:

Code:
             station building
__________________platform 3 (formerly 1)___________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 4 (formerly 2)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 5 (formerly 3A)__________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 6 (formerly 3B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 7 (formerly 4A)__________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 8 (formerly 4B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 9 (formerly 5A)__________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 10 (formerly 5B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 11 (formerly 6A)_________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 12 (formerly 6B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 13 (formerly 7A)_________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 14 (formerly 7B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 15 (formerly 8A)_________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 16 (formerly 8B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 17 (formerly 9A)_________________
+++++track 9++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 18 (formerly 9B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 19 (formerly 10A)________________
+++++track 10+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 20 (formerly 10B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 21 (formerly 11)_________________
+++++track 11+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              (smallish space, 22 & 23 skipped)
+++++track 12+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 24 (formerly 12)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
====south wall (stops short on east end)========
__________________platform 25_______________________________
+++++track 13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 26¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 27_______________________________
+++++track 14+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++track 15 (through traffic)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++track 16 (through traffic)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░                ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
      Telus tower                             ACC tower

The track numbers are still used for traffic control purposes (and posted on the ends of the trainshed) but are no longer publicized to passengers so as to avoid confusion with the new set of platform numbers, which drum dislikes but I'm ok with ;)

Last edited:
By the way, drum, I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I really appreciated all the pics you posted a couple of pages back. Great vantage point.

Read my posting.

I did. It wasn't clear to me.

The south end along platform 25 will be rebuilt not as it is today.

Different how? Will 24-25 have the wall removed and the platform made thinner by shifting track 12 slightly south?

The original south end will be rebuilt as original built.

Does anyone on here know how the south end was originally built? From track 3 to track 10 it looks like the shed has a standard layout with alternating short and wide platforms and then track 11 is slightly south of where it would be if the pattern was continued making a wider platform 20-21. It looks like a platform 22-23 might be possible if track 11 was moved slightly north to make platform 20-21 the same width as 16-17 and platform 24-25 had the wall removed and also made the same width as 16-17.

Work will start on platform 24-20 or 2 tracks at one time. Once finish will move north to the next 2 tracks.

So two tracks at a time so track 11 and 12 first with platform 20-21, not currently existent platform 22-23, and platform 24-25 out of service. This will be followed by track 9 and 10 out of services with platform 16-17 and platform 18-19 out of service, track 7 and 8 out of services with platform 12-13 and platform 14-15 out of service, etc.?

Nothing will be built over the tracks at each end at this time.

Do you mean beyond the train shed where the platform sticks out past the sheltered areas? Since other than the Canadian it seems no trains ever stick out that far it probably wouldn't be worth the expense.

I read in the paper a few years ago about some guys who travelled through Union Station exploring parts never seen by the public. They ended up in the basement of the Royal York at one point (if I recall correctly), visited boiler rooms, the ceiling over the great hall, etc., etc. See also http://www.vanishingpoint.ca/ for those types of adventures . . .

Union Station area pics 10/20...quite interesting!

Drum: Good group of pics of the area of Union Station showing the current roof condition and building in the vicinity. That was the Post Office building you were on the roof of? What is that Flatiron-type angled building nearby?
LI MIKE

For everyone who's a little confused by all these track and platform designations (like me before I started counting things out on my fingers and toes), I believe the full trainshed works out something like this:

You might add that platform 25 was previously 13 and 26-27 are new.

The track numbers are still used for traffic control purposes (and posted on the ends of the trainshed) but are no longer publicized to passengers so as to avoid confusion with the new set of platform numbers, which drum dislikes but I'm ok with ;)

I find it a bit confusing... mainly because most stations with platform numbers have one platform per track so it works out nicely. I would have preferred:

Code:
             station building
__________________platform 1 (formerly 1)___________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 2 (formerly 2)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________exit only (formerly 3A)___________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 3 (formerly 3B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 4 (formerly 4A)__________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯exit only (formerly 4B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________exit only (formerly 5A)___________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 5 (formerly 5B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 6 (formerly 6A)_________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯exit only (formerly 6B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________exit only (formerly 7A)__________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 7 (formerly 7B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 8 (formerly 8A)_________________
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯exit only (formerly 8B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________exit only (formerly 9A)___________________
+++++track 9++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 9 (formerly 9B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 10 (formerly 10A)________________
+++++track 10+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯exit only (formerly 10B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 11 (formerly 11)_________________
+++++track 11+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              (smallish space, 22 & 23 skipped)
+++++track 12+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 12 (formerly 12)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
====south wall (stops short on east end)========
__________________exit only_________________________________
+++++track 13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 13¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 14_______________________________
+++++track 14+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++track 15 (through traffic)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++track 16 (through traffic)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░                ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
      Telus tower                             ACC tower

I did. It wasn't clear to me.

Different how? Will 24-25 have the wall removed and the platform made thinner by shifting track 12 slightly south?

Does anyone on here know how the south end was originally built? From track 3 to track 10 it looks like the shed has a standard layout with alternating short and wide platforms and then track 11 is slightly south of where it would be if the pattern was continued making a wider platform 20-21. It looks like a platform 22-23 might be possible if track 11 was moved slightly north to make platform 20-21 the same width as 16-17 and platform 24-25 had the wall removed and also made the same width as 16-17.

So two tracks at a time so track 11 and 12 first with platform 20-21, not currently existent platform 22-23, and platform 24-25 out of service. This will be followed by track 9 and 10 out of services with platform 16-17 and platform 18-19 out of service, track 7 and 8 out of services with platform 12-13 and platform 14-15 out of service, etc.?

Do you mean beyond the train shed where the platform sticks out past the sheltered areas? Since other than the Canadian it seems no trains ever stick out that far it probably wouldn't be worth the expense.

As explained to be me which was very vague, the 1970 extension south end will be rebuilt different from what there now. It needs to be as it looks like the house Jack built.

The original south end will be rebuilt to original design. I have photo's of those ends some where that I shot early this year and will post them when I have time as well find them in the 20,000+ I shot to date.

Platforms 23-25 (GO) will be taken out of service during the construction. It continue to repeat as construction moves north.

The new glass atrium will be built at the same time as the new roof otherwise that section will be exposed to the weather 100%.

There are plans for GO to put 2 trains on some of the longer tracks down the road and they will be cover at each end. At the same time, a new tunnel has to be built under that area for access.

There is no plans to widen or move tracks in the shed.

I was not the only one on the roof taking photo's. I wish I had more time and better weather to do the shooting I wanted to do. I was on both roofs with a leash on me. I wanted to get some shot of other buildings form that roof, but time ran out.

Everything gets rebuilt 100% top down. The round concrete columns are getting rebuilt with a steel column been use as the main support and encase in concrete to match what there today.

Park Canada is calling the shots as to What GO and the City can do to this station and that why some scale back is taking place for expansion.

Back