Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

If it was a new mall wing, we could get away with letting accountants and engineers and subcontractors and interior designers dictate what happens. But we don't want Vaughan Mills or PATHesque chaos underneath Union Station.
Well, I guess I know how that dreadful Scarborough Town Centre happened ...

Interior designers are emphatically not the same things as interior decorators.

You're right...and via your emphatic defense, one can assume the difference is that interior decorators have a sense of humour.

Well, I guess I know how that dreadful Scarborough Town Centre happened ...

Do you really think I care if you make fun of Scarborough? I think STC should be razed to the ground, along with 90% of the rest of the borough.

Do you really think I care if you make fun of Scarborough? I think STC should be razed to the ground, along with 90% of the rest of the borough.
I was only making fun of that horrid shopping centre; which makes Yorkdale look well-planned.

But you live in Scarborough don't you? If you don't like it, why live there? I certainly wouldn't live in most of it (because it's too suburban ...).

They just relaunched that website today. Yesterday it was the same website that hadn't been updated for quite some time. Maybe a GO TRIP website replacement for general infrastructure enhancements is in the cards too.

Ooops. Spoke too soon. Really it is a redesign of the previous website with no new information, diagrams, or pictures.

Last edited:
They just relaunched that website today. Yesterday it was the same website that hadn't been updated for quite some time. Maybe a GO TRIP website replacement for general infrastructure enhancements is in the cards too.

Ooops. Spoke too soon. Really it is a redesign of the previous website with no new information, diagrams, or pictures.

Lots of broken links as well, and then there is the fact that GO isn't talking about any of the City work at all. A reader of the GO site might think it is only the trainshed and tracks that are getting attention.

I realize that the overall renovations are beyond GO's purview, but it would have been nice if the City and GO could work out a common communications strategy on this project.

Not quite. There's definitely some fresh copy there, most of which appears to be shared between the site and a new "special edition" of GO News.

Off the top of my head, this is the first time that we've heard that construction will start on the south platforms and advance north. There's also a rendering or two of the atrium in there I hadn't seen before. Yes, all told it's nothing spectacular, but it's not like progress on the building has been so torrential that the old site was horribly outdated ;)

Lots of broken links as well, and then there is the fact that GO isn't talking about any of the City work at all. A reader of the GO site might think it is only the trainshed and tracks that are getting attention.

I realize that the overall renovations are beyond GO's purview, but it would have been nice if the City and GO could work out a common communications strategy on this project.
Er,
In parallel to the work we’re doing, the City of Toronto is also starting a major revitalization project to the portions of Union Station owned by them. For information on their projects, please visit their website.
...is right there on the front page.

I found the text inside the GO special update to be a bit repetitive. Brighter, new stairs and elevators, and fixing the roof from south to north. I just want them to tell us when the work is going to start.

I'm surprised that they would go south to north too. Most of the short term ridership growth will be on GO Transit and not VIA Rail... it would make more sense to go north to south to be finished the GO Platforms first. I suppose they might be waiting for the city part of the project to be more advanced since the new platform access elements will be on the GO platforms which require a concourse to exist below.

Oct 20

Mod's....Should this now be move to Projects and construction as construction is starting on it now??

I hope you like these photo's and too bad the weather was not better. There are other photo's in other threads.
IMG_oct-20-09-0039.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0040.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0041.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0042.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0043.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0045.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0050.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0051.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0055.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0056.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0057.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0060.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0063.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0065.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0066.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0067.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0069.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0070.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0073.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0090.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0085.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0093.jpg

IMG_oct-20-09-0089.jpg

Er,
In parallel to the work we’re doing, the City of Toronto is also starting a major revitalization project to the portions of Union Station owned by them. For information on their projects, please visit their website.
...is right there on the front page.
Yes, but my point is that there should be a single joint site discussing the entire scope of work, rather than a reference to a City site that is so disorganized that it is difficult to understand what the work will be.

there was an article in today's Sun that described the new train shed roof as being a glass box, suspended over the tracks on stilts like OCAD...there was a small rendering, but I cant find anything online....

I haven't been following this too closely....is this news?

Back