Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The Front st East moat "balcony" route is now open, leading to the leather shop bypass

View attachment 234209

Thanks for those pics, that's awesome to see the balcony open!

I'm surprised they didn't cantilever the balcony out farther so that there'd be a walking path on either side of the support pillars, but I'm sure there were probably good engineering reasons why they couldn't do that. :-(

I was in the Scotia Bank Arena's ticket selling lobby yesterday and saw that the temporary solid wall leading north to the Union Station / GO platforms area is now gone and there is a Fast-Fence instead. You can see through it that they are busily working on this area and it will soon link SBA to the Bay Concourse - on two levels. You can see right through to the windows that overlook the east Front moat @ the TTC.

That certainly explains why events have been cancelled, my question was why this would speed up construction.
Don’t need to interrupt construction during events i guess? idk

Don’t need to interrupt construction during events i guess? idk

But that would be dependent on the construction crews being available to work at those times. And as the schedules have already been set, the closure of the ACC may not make a lick of difference.

Dan

But that would be dependent on the construction crews being available to work at those times. And as the schedules have already been set, the closure of the ACC may not make a lick of difference.

Dan
The area I spoke about is NOT within the SBA/ACC and they have been working there for months (if not years). The difference now is that the solid wall has been replaced by a Fast Fence so we can see what's going on and can see it looks to be in final phases.

On Tuesday, all seats for the concourse had been removed and stock pile, as well tape off between the stairs to the platforms.

Real strange to see every thing close including McD. All McD I saw on Tuesday were close and that was 4 on top of Union.

Looks like all the platforms for the original train head-house have been extend to the east under the structure for the new park on the east end. This will allow 2 trains on the same track at the same time going in opposite direction once the east concourse opens this year with luck.

Shoring under way to the east of the park structure and no idea what for. Steel rebar frames on site and look like over 40' long.

Look like a couple of trains being store there as there wasn't any trains that are store weekday at Bathurst North Yard.

Real strange to see every thing close including McD. All McD I saw on Tuesday were close and that was 4 on top of Union.
I think many (all?) McDs are now only offering food picked up by UberEats etc. The one at Front & George certainly is.

Shoring under way to the east of the park structure and no idea what for. Steel rebar frames on site and look like over 40' long.
This is, I think, for the second phase of CIBC Centre - I posted the Metrolinx announcement a few days ago higher up this thread or on the CIBC one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just walked through York Teamway. The City or Metrolinx are busily repairing the bridge concrete above York Street (working on scaffolds above the traffic) and have now started to cut away damaged concrete and are exposing rusty rebar INSIDE the Teamway. Looks as though it WILL be fixed up and I assume the Bay Street one will be done next.

YORK ST From FRONT ST W To BREMNER BLVD

Toronto-TMC: North and south bound curb lane blocked due to Metrolinx Project.

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)

Time Frame:Continuous

Until:Jun 8, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.

Impact:Major

Road Class:Major Arterial

District:Toronto and East York

Contractor:Grascan Construction Ltd

ID:R118158

Last edited:
They got rid of the GO transit wicket in the Great Hall. The new design is a little out of place, I fully expect someone to sell pies or cupcakes out of it.

20200405_001241.jpg

Back