Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Maybe it’s just as well, because whenever I’m around Union, (usually at least once weekly) at least one of the existing escalators is not working. And they’re all climate-protected.

I am quite disappointed by the state of the York Concourse. Half of the ceiling is visible and other where there are ceiling panels have yellow stains and there are plenty of areas where water is leaking.

Five years after it opened its still in an unfinished state.

The CoT are temporarily housing their offices behind the hoarding.

Temporarily? So this space won't be offices when completed?

@urbanyimby suggests that it's been established that it'll be offices.

we've already established that this space in the Great Hall is for offices.

Can we clear this up? The Great Hall shouldn't be given away for private uses and closed to the public. A restaurant or a public lounge with access to the balcony would be ideal.

Can we clear this up? The Great Hall shouldn't be given away for private uses and closed to the public. A restaurant or a public lounge with access to the balcony would be ideal.
Take it easy, the Great Hall isn't closed to the public. Stop being so alarmist about everything.

I am quite disappointed by the state of the York Concourse. Half of the ceiling is visible and other where there are ceiling panels have yellow stains and there are plenty of areas where water is leaking.
They definitely have to "errata" it, I heard they'll begin doing that that after being more finished with Bay.

I heard the platform trackbed waterproofing/sealing is being done more rigorously at Bay concourse than York concourse.

I'm more displeased at the untouched state of the cielings under the Great Hall, where the old fashioned shops are. Something gotta be done to refinish those.

They definitely have to "errata" it, I heard they'll begin doing that that after being more finished with Bay.

I heard the platform trackbed waterproofing/sealing is being done more rigorously at Bay concourse than York concourse.

I'm more displeased at the untouched state of the cielings under the Great Hall, where the old fashioned shops are. Something gotta be done to refinish those.
Though one might wonder why this was not done sooner, they have been pulling wires through that dropped ceiling for several weeks (and making occasional holes to do so). Over the months, they have been repairing sections of plaster and though it is certainly a mess it is really something that is quick to repair and probably best NOT repaired until all the work in the area is done. It bugs me too but it is something best done towards the end of the work in that area.

Take it easy, the Great Hall isn't closed to the public. Stop being so alarmist about everything.

I have no position on how the space should be used, but it’s a pretty common phenomenon in projects that whatever work gets done last gets done poorest. At some point the pressure to close the books and cap the cost overwhelms the desire to do it well, and good is good enough. I don’t think it’s alarmist to be a bit picky at this stage. (Have you ever tried to get a contractor to come back and fix that one last bit of drywall or grout?)

One has only to look at how the hoarding clashes with the rest of the Great Hall (which is coming back beautifully) to appreciate how the north wall will harm the overall aesthetic if it is done too plainly. It needs to be as pretty as the rest of the structure.

- Paul

It will not be offices. 61 Front Toronto Offices are apparently under renovations, and are temporarily being housed in the Great Hall until complete. That space will then eventually become whatever it was envisioned to be... a restaurant or public space.

It will not be offices. 61 Front Toronto Offices are apparently under renovations, and are temporarily being housed in the Great Hall until complete. That space will then eventually become whatever it was envisioned to be... a restaurant or public space.

Good, thank you.

we've already established that this space in the Great Hall is for offices.

Great. We now know not to trust @urbanyimby as a source.

Though one might wonder why this was not done sooner, they have been pulling wires through that dropped ceiling for several weeks (and making occasional holes to do so). Over the months, they have been repairing sections of plaster and though it is certainly a mess it is really something that is quick to repair and probably best NOT repaired until all the work in the area is done. It bugs me too but it is something best done towards the end of the work in that area.
With the platform / trackbed reworking going on over the last few years... it’s still downright leaky, getting better, but still.

York, in the 2015 PanAm rush, certainly bungled it — exasperated sigh at the wasted wear&tear — but it was at least the right decision to hold off fixing water-damaged drop ceilings until after Bay is finished (crowd relief) + After platform/trackbed work above (leak sealing).

This is a live realtime teardown-reno that’s going to keep going on for some time into this (train engine) roaring twenties. Can’t shut down too much area simultaneously, we’re already freakishly crowded in construction bottlenecks.

Probably all the way to the thirties — given the upcoming south concourse redo — and the platform-merging and widenings (and stairwell realignments likely to occur in all concourses!’) that will sequence after this stage of Union revitalization. Two decades of flux to prepare for the 6000 GO trains per week we’re going to get, and safely handle double-size peak crowds.

Last edited:
Request for Proposals Issued for Union Station Enhancement Project
February 28, 2020
Four (4) shortlisted teams have been invited to respond to a request for proposals (RFP) to deliver the Union Station Enhancement Project.
Teams were selected based on criteria in the request for qualifications (RFQ) phase, including their team composition, experience in collaborative project delivery, health and safety, and past project examples.
The shortlisted teams are:
OnTrack Alliance
  • Constructor: Kiewit and Alberici
  • Design: WSP
GTA Alliance
  • Constructor: EllisDon and Keltbray
  • Design: AECOM, Zeilder and Stephenson Engineering
OneUnion Alliance
  • Constructor: Aecon, Modern Niagara and PNR RailWorks
  • Design: Mott MacDonald and Systra
Union Gateway Alliance
  • Constructor: Dragados
  • Design: Parson and Hatch
Teams will now begin the RFP process where they will be evaluated on their approach, collaborative behaviours and final fees. The team with the highest score will be selected to enter into an Alliance Development Agreement with Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario to submit a proposal to deliver the Union Station Enhancement Project. This will include collaborating in the design, finalizing the Target Outturn Cost and identifying and managing project risks.
A successful bidder is expected to be announced in summer 2020.
A copy of the RFP is available at infrastructureontario.ca
Visit here to learn more about the Union Station Enhancement project.

The Front st East moat "balcony" route is now open, leading to the leather shop bypass

20200303_125127.jpg
20200303_125142.jpg
20200303_125149.jpg
20200303_125226.jpg
20200303_125246.jpg
20200303_125253.jpg
20200303_125321.jpg
20200303_125343.jpg

Back