Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Bay is better than York. It's been decided. The openness, material and lighting choices, and logical pathfinding make it a winner in my books. :)
You may be right but I would hold off on celebrating until we see how it looks after GO do their setting up and it gets filled with people (and York gets emptier).

AlbertHWagstaff

Member Bio
Reaction score
You may be right but I would hold off on celebrating until we see how it looks after GO do their setting up and it gets filled with people (and York gets emptier).
The Bay concourse will definitely go back to being the default for most travelers, especially the occasional ones who come into Union from Bay or Front St. or from the subway because it's a straight route in. Add in Scotiabank Arena crowds and the York concourse should thin out quite a bit in the off-peak hours. The designs will reflect its role as the primary waiting area.

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Bay concourse will definitely go back to being the default for most travelers, especially the occasional ones who come into Union from Bay or Front St. or from the subway because it's a straight route in. Add in Scotiabank Arena crowds and the York concourse should thin out quite a bit in the off-peak hours. The designs will reflect its role as the primary waiting area.
Agreed. York very much has a feel of "the other concourse". Unless I'm bound for somewhere west of Union (Rogers Centre, etc), I'm likely to use the Bay Concourse once it opens.

Mercenary

Member Bio
Reaction score
They really need to fix the decrepit team ways. They look absolutely disgusting when it rains. All that rain water, mixed with debris and dirt and leaking ceiling. You feel like you are in a 3rd world country.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
They really need to fix the decrepit team ways. They look absolutely disgusting when it rains. All that rain water, mixed with debris and dirt and leaking ceiling. You feel like you are in a 3rd world country.
They are going to be fixed, Metrolinx are working (and have been for ages) waterproofing under the tracks that are above them. No point on doing work inside until the leaks are dealt with.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Front st East moat "balcony" route is now open, leading to the leather shop bypass

View attachment 234209
Thanks for those pics, that's awesome to see the balcony open!

I'm surprised they didn't cantilever the balcony out farther so that there'd be a walking path on either side of the support pillars, but I'm sure there were probably good engineering reasons why they couldn't do that. :-(

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was in the Scotia Bank Arena's ticket selling lobby yesterday and saw that the temporary solid wall leading north to the Union Station / GO platforms area is now gone and there is a Fast-Fence instead. You can see through it that they are busily working on this area and it will soon link SBA to the Bay Concourse - on two levels. You can see right through to the windows that overlook the east Front moat @ the TTC.