Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Do you know what is suddenly uncovered? The windows just north of the Baggage desk -- they show the conveyor belt down from the VIA ticket windows. Not sure I've ever seen what's behind those windows. Thing is, how many VIA trains per week accept bags for handling?
I saw the conveyor but but do not think it comes from the ticket windows. If you want to check bags (and on some trains you must check larger ones) you must take them to the Baggage Deposit on the lower level. It may be used to transfer checked bags from the 'deposit office to the trains and vice versa.

And why do they insist on using orange tarps to cover doors and windows? If the view must be blocked, is a sheet of frosted window covering really so far out of our budget?

Actually, I spotted that and thought oh good, some authentic CN Rapido era red.

While the heritage preservation no doubt is targeted to the steam era, CN’s remake of the depot in the sixties was so intensive and so distinctive that it deserves some recognition. Heritage is not just about the pioneer era.

Who remembers the red, white, and green balls?

- Paul

Actually, I spotted that and thought oh good, some authentic CN Rapido era red.

While the heritage preservation no doubt is targeted to the steam era, CN’s remake of the depot in the sixties was so intensive and so distinctive that it deserves some recognition. Heritage is not just about the pioneer era.

Who remembers the red, white, and green balls?

- Paul

Red White and Green? Any idea why they did not have blue balls?

I saw the conveyor but but do not think it comes from the ticket windows. If you want to check bags (and on some trains you must check larger ones) you must take them to the Baggage Deposit on the lower level. It may be used to transfer checked bags from the 'deposit office to the trains and vice versa.
I thought the belt runs behind the VIA staff in the Great Hall, or did I imagine it was like an airport check-in? Whether it is used or not is another story.

The VIA staff in the Great Hall sell tickets, they have ZERO to do with bags - look at the the front of the current ticket booths - where would you actually put a case?
Several wickets — at least one— have a space that looks expressly designed to hand over cases. It certainly seems a long time since they were used as intended... though there may be an intention to get the belt running again.
(BTW, I don’t presume to have 100% accuracy but I have spent many hours working in the Great Hall.)

Several wickets — at least one— have a space that looks expressly designed to hand over cases. It certainly seems a long time since they were used as intended... though there may be an intention to get the belt running again.
(BTW, I don’t presume to have 100% accuracy but I have spent many hours working in the Great Hall.)

I wonder if the belt was closed off due to the renovations in the station? No sense in using it if the section designated for baggage is being renovated.

IIRC, the area behind the baggage pick up is now where Cali Love is.

The TRHA used to have a storage space there, a room inside of a room. I was in there once and recall seeing the backside of the baggage area.

How much is that conveyor belt in the window?
98B23B85-1C46-4451-998E-F79653C7D337.jpeg

Last edited:

Back