Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Looks good, though I wish they replaced the wall on the right with planters or something. The area could use some greenery. Would be nice to see some trees from the moat, above the skylight.
I guess you have never actually been there. The wall on the right is the 'parapet" along the south side of Front Street (above the wall through which you reach the subway.) It cannot be removed and even if it could it would be silly to do as people would then have an easy time clambering all over the glass roof.. You could also not put trees there (at least in-ground ones - as the sidewalk is built over the TTC station etc. and trees need soil.

Would be neat to walk the concourse below and see crowds on the glass above.
I'm sorry, what?!
I hate to bring up the moat glass structural integrity debate again, but... One person, sure, I'm sure it could support. A crowd? Doubt it. Are we forgetting that it is also not purposefully designed for that?
I guess you have never actually been there. The wall on the right is the 'parapet" along the south side of Front Street (above the wall through which you reach the subway.) It cannot be removed and even if it could it would be silly to do as people would then have an easy time clambering all over the glass roof.. You could also not put trees there (at least in-ground ones - as the sidewalk is built over the TTC station etc. and trees need soil.
Why wouldn't walled planters work? I actually think that's a great idea. Even if the current parapet served as one side (though it is a pretty thick wall). Don't forget there are also TTC entrances there though.

Last edited:
In other news: In the west wing, TD Visa Lounge looks almost ready to open. Hoarding is down. (Same with that Gord Downie lounge, which has had hoarding down for a while now). Sorry I don't have pics.

In other news: In the west wing, TD Visa Lounge looks almost ready to open. Hoarding is down. (Same with that Gord Downie lounge, which has had hoarding down for a while now). Sorry I don't have pics.
From the recently posted update to city council, the TD CC lounge is set to open in the fall.

They've added a few these of these signs a few weeks ago in the York Promenade and Front Promenade. Are these from the TTC, the City, or Metrolinx and is the current permanent signage considered confusing?
subway sign.jpg

Attachments

• subway sign.jpg
    subway sign.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,231
They've added a few these of these signs a few weeks ago in the York Promenade and Front Promenade. Are these from the TTC, the City, or Metrolinx and is the current permanent signage considered confusing?
View attachment 148278

It is confusing.

With the east entrance to the Great Hall closed, construction in the corridors adjacent to the VIA concourse and everything else they are probably still figuring it out.

Personally I hate telling people how to get to the subway. I work as the lead concierge at the Residences of Maple Leaf Square and from time to time have to tell people how to get to Front Street or Union Subway Station from where I work on Bremner. I gave up trying to explain all the turns and told them to walk through the station to the other side (Front Street).

To put it into perspective I was telling people the following to get from Maple Leaf Square to Front St.

Step 1: Walk into the backside of Union Station

Step 2: Make a left down the ramp

Step 3: At the end of the ramp, head right and then stay left for the York Concourse

Step 4: Head through the York Concourse to the far side and hang a right down the hall

Step 5: When you get to the end of the hall, turn left and walk out the door

Step 6: Enter Subway.

Not sure why but the complex directions get people lost...

It is confusing.

With the east entrance to the Great Hall closed, construction in the corridors adjacent to the VIA concourse and everything else they are probably still figuring it out.

Personally I hate telling people how to get to the subway. I work as the lead concierge at the Residences of Maple Leaf Square and from time to time have to tell people how to get to Front Street or Union Subway Station from where I work on Bremner. I gave up trying to explain all the turns and told them to walk through the station to the other side (Front Street).

To put it into perspective I was telling people the following to get from Maple Leaf Square to Front St.

Step 3: At the end of the ramp, head right and then stay left for the York Concourse

Step 4: Head through the York Concourse to the far side and hang a right down the hall

This is going to get A LOT better when the Retail Level under the VIA Concourse opens, as it will be a direct route from Maple Leaf Square to Front Street.

Frankly these temporary signs are quite clear and helpful and I am pleasantly surprised they are not the old hand-written TTC signage we all complain about! As routes are being switched on what seems like a weekly basis it makes sense to put up temporary signage and it's good that someone (either TTC or City or Project Managers) is doing so.

It is confusing.

much easier to cross the ACC galleria to Bay st, head up Bay West Teamway, and the subway is right there

Today it looks open - still people doing finishing touches but chairs are out etc etc. TD Ultimate Visa Lounge.

Yesterday the hoarding next to the convince store in Union (TTC) station (west end of the station near the stairs to Union) came down revealing what looks to be a very large collectors booth

Yesterday the hoarding next to the convince store in Union (TTC) station (west end of the station near the stairs to Union) came down revealing what looks to be a very large collectors booth
The hoarding (or most of it) came down about a week ago - there was discussion of this either in this or the TTC thread. The consensus being that it will be the new 'home' for the Station Attendants or whatever Collectors are being called once the TTC phase them out.

The hoarding (or most of it) came down about a week ago - there was discussion of this either in this or the TTC thread. The consensus being that it will be the new 'home' for the Station Attendants or whatever Collectors are being called once the TTC phase them out.

I believe he means part of the window covering on the Byford Bunker has come down. It is primarily a crowd control station wherein they can see how things are playing out in the station. It is a needed addition given how badly the station how is crowded when events let out.

Back