Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Ouch--be interesting to know if Home was temporary...but either way, this is a risky location to set up shop. Yes, it's busy, but it's also very easy to walk right past, as this space is really just a thruway, ultimatley.

Union as pretty much made that location their defacto pop up location. Hence the name Union spaces. This location will be a rotating variety of pop up shops for the foreseeable future

https://torontounion.ca/news/union-spaces-pop-up/

"
Come back every month or so to find out which brand is being featured at Union Spaces! "

Union as pretty much made that location their defacto pop up location. Hence the name Union spaces. This location will be a rotating variety of pop up shops for the foreseeable future

https://torontounion.ca/news/union-spaces-pop-up/

"
Come back every month or so to find out which brand is being featured at Union Spaces! "

Not exactly a good business model but whatever works.

Whatever they put in is better than the Arcade, Pub, Leather Shop and Pizza Place that were there before. Even the Barber Shop had it's day.

Not exactly a good business model but whatever works.

Whatever they put in is better than the Arcade, Pub, Leather Shop and Pizza Place that were there before. Even the Barber Shop had it's day.

They probably recognize that the location isn't ideal after putting it on the market so instead of risking stores shutting down every 6 months you provide an opportunity to showcase lesser known brands for a short period of time. There are probably a fair number of small online businesses that would fork over a month's rent to be able to present their products to a large commuter population.

Not to mention Union probably thinks of it as "we're new,hip and creative. Check out these coooooool concepts"

They probably recognize that the location isn't ideal after putting it on the market so instead of risking stores shutting down every 6 months you provide an opportunity to showcase lesser known brands for a short period of time. There are probably a fair number of small online businesses that would fork over a month's rent to be able to present their products to a large commuter population.

Not to mention Union probably thinks of it as "we're new,hip and creative. Check out these coooooool concepts"

It would have been better if they rented it out as a large space as opposed to smaller ones. Small indie, hipster shops go out of business quickly when the latest fad wears off (think Parachute Pants, Tamagotchis and Beanie Babies) but more practical stores like Rexall or Shoppers do not.

In London Victoria (UK) they have a Boots, Marks and Spencer (Sandwiches) and other small shops. They survive quite well primarily because they are things people NEED. Mind you though Victoria has a more extensive set of railway lines than Union so the demand is there.

It would have been better if they rented it out as a large space as opposed to smaller ones. Small indie, hipster shops go out of business quickly when the latest fad wears off (think Parachute Pants, Tamagotchis and Beanie Babies) but more practical stores like Rexall or Shoppers do not.

In London Victoria (UK) they have a Boots, Marks and Spencer (Sandwiches) and other small shops. They survive quite well primarily because they are things people NEED. Mind you though Victoria has a more extensive set of railway lines than Union so the demand is there.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stati...otDetails.aspx?stdCode=SME_VIC&fullsize=35743
o3309-0012132.jpg

It would have been better if they rented it out as a large space as opposed to smaller ones. .
I am not sure that STRUCTURALLY they could have combined those smaller spaces into one and do not forget that in the lower level there is a great deal of space they are still working on. Frankly, I like the idea of a few smaller spaces that smaller folk can experiment in, if they really take off they may then be able to afford to expand 'downstairs'.

Something that differentiates Victoria Station from the Cdn examples as that *historically* it always was a place of commerce beyond just travelling to and from rail transport. Even the bus shed outside was centred in a busy shopping node.

I wasn't really requesting a Union Station construction tour video, although that is a very good idea. IMO, at the least, there are times when even a short video clip might serve a poster's purpose better than a verbal description and/or a few pictures. It would probably make it easier to see Union Station more cohesively as a whole.
There's not really a main focus in this video, but it's just showing one of the longer routes to get to Platform 3 from Brookfield Place through the York Concourse. Sorry for the chest height and misaligned video.

So, the "temporary" concrete jersey barriers in the Front Street Plaza are still there, despite the talk of removing them after the knee-jerk reaction to the Yonge attack. Pretty surprising (or, I guess, not) considering what was spent on creating an inviting and high-quality public space. Would be nice if they could at least be painted; noticed this has been the solution in Madison Square in NYC when I was there a few weeks ago. Long run I really hope they go with either nothing (can't protect everywhere from every eventuality and it is silly to try) or, at most, attractive planters.

Toronto just seems to have much more trouble delivering and especially maintaining these public realm projects than just about anywhere else. It's pretty frustrating.

So, the "temporary" concrete jersey barriers in the Front Street Plaza are still there, despite the talk of removing them after the knee-jerk reaction to the Yonge attack. Pretty surprising (or, I guess, not) considering what was spent on creating an inviting and high-quality public space. Would be nice if they could at least be painted; noticed this has been the solution in Madison Square in NYC when I was there a few weeks ago. Long run I really hope they go with either nothing (can't protect everywhere from every eventuality and it is silly to try) or, at most, attractive planters.

Toronto just seems to have much more trouble delivering and especially maintaining these public realm projects than just about anywhere else. It's pretty frustrating.

I work at Maple Leaf Square and we have had to notify people that Toronto Police will be having the barricades remain in front of the ACC indefinitely due to public safety concerns.

20180609_103415.jpg

Attachments

• 20180609_103415.jpg
    20180609_103415.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 615
There's not really a main focus in this video, but it's just showing one of the longer routes to get to Platform 3 from Brookfield Place through the York Concourse. Sorry for the chest height and misaligned video.
Thanks for the video! I love Union Station in action. The finished parts are looking great, but it still seems like they have a lot of work to do. Will they make the most recent revised completion date?

New “Union Mercado” convenience store opening up in the Front Street Promenade, south side, roughly midway between the washrooms and Calii Love.

This store will be hit or miss. Something tells me it will do alright but only if people go down that side of the hallway. Right now majority of people are going to the right of stairs.

What they really need to do is fix that god awful exhaust fan right when you come in from the TTC. That stupid thing is beyond cold and powerful while blasting at full towards incoming passengers.

Back