Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Demolishing this new food court that just opened and closed? Really? Unlikely.
We're talking Apples and you're talking Oranges. The Foodie Aisle has never opened due to just being constructed. I'm sure it will open soon. The concourse that is now closed for a long term re-construction is the farthest south hallway corridor that was never really part of the Union Station renewal project that just completed. You are confusing two different areas.

We're talking Apples and you're talking Oranges. The Foodie Aisle has never opened due to just being constructed. I'm sure it will open soon. The concourse that is now closed for a long term re-construction is the farthest south hallway corridor that was never really part of the Union Station renewal project that just completed. You are confusing two different areas.
Still confused. Is my “Orange” picture the Foodie Aisle? It was open and is now closed. Why is it closed?

Reactions: max
Still confused. Is my “Orange” picture the Foodie Aisle? It was open and is now closed. Why is it closed?
Yes your photos are of the Foodie Aisle and if it was ever open, it was only open for a brief period. I can only assume it closed again (if ever open) due to lack of customers during Omicron lockdown.
The now closed concourse is further south of the Foodie Aisle in your photos.

I walked by the foodie aisle at one point and it was open, but it's so tucked away in the station right now and with decreased passenger volumes again from Omnicron.. I'm not surprised it closed.

Yes your photos are of the Foodie Aisle and if it was ever open, it was only open for a brief period. I can only assume it closed again (if ever open) due to lack of customers during Omicron lockdown.
The now closed concourse is further south of the Foodie Aisle in your photos.
It was open for the entirety of November and half of December.

A bit more on the new LCBO here (Union Station).........not large, but not too small, 7,000ft2

Date for substantial completion in the fit-up docs was March 7th, 2022, so presumably, if they aren't too far behind, we'll see this store open by early/mid-spring.

* (to be technical, the construction start date was listed as Dec 20th, 2021 in the docs; but the completion date reads as March 7th, 2021.......ahem. LOL )

Proof read your tenders people!

I can see the discussion by bidders......" boss, there's only one problem.........they want the store finished 9 months before we start....."

Last edited:
My understanding is fuzzy on this (and on a lotta things!;-) but wasn't there a plan to remove the existing clock, departure boards and kiosk? I know it sounds crazy, so don't freak out just yet...

In my vague recollections, the board would then go above the existing VIA ticket booths, and don't ask me what would remain in the centre of the Great Hall.

(I believe there has been a clock and some kind of booth in the centre of the 'Ticket Lobby' for almost if not all of the years since it was completed.)

If anyone can scour through the older plans to see if there are hints, that might help.

I for one cannot recall ever seeing an "artist's fan--" I mean "rendition" of a completed Great Hall.
I’m not sure if you’re still active in this thread, but yes, there was plans to re-add the original centrepiece in the Great Hall. I wish they went through with it.

Short article talking about some of the engineering involved with Union (specifically the “dig down” concept - which sounds wild).

So looking in another thread about Union Station, package 3 of the Union Station Enhancement Project involves building two new concourses along with the South Concourse.
I made my own concept art showing what it could be like:

Are the East (East of Bay St) and West (West of York St) Concourses in the official Union Station plans? I raised this issued back when the revitalization project was announced. I'm not sure if there is the vertical space to build an path under York to get to the West side of York. However I do think it can be done on the the East side with Bay, and given that the Go Bus terminal is on that side, I think it would be valuable to add that additional circulation space.

Are the East (East of Bay St) and West (West of York St) Concourses in the official Union Station plans? I raised this issued back when the revitalization project was announced. I'm not sure if there is the vertical space to build an path under York to get to the West side of York. However I do think it can be done on the the East side with Bay, and given that the Go Bus terminal is on that side, I think it would be valuable to add that additional circulation space.
(Keep in mind I made the two extra concourses in the map I posted, thats not the official plans; or maybe not yet)
They were directly mentioned in the third phase of the USEP:

Back