Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Noticed when I was walking through Union that the exit at the east end of the Great Hall is closed again.

IIRC they closed it not too long ago to renovate it but now it has hoarding around it as though they are doing work.

This wasn't like this on Friday last week and I don't recall any advance notice. Anyone know what's up?
They did SOME renovation last year but the entrance area was clearly not finished. I assume they are finishing it off and will then do same thing at west entrance

Lots of progress in the Bay concourse with lighting, signage, and most of the drop ceiling installed. Taking a picture would've been difficult and didn't want to linger, so here's the moat from the TTC to the concourse, taken last week.

IMG_4149.jpeg

Just took a walk around Union (the Danish pastry House needed me!) and can report:

In the York moat they have now basically finished the tiled floor in the east part (nearest the building) and closed off the western part and are clearly getting ready to do work there.

In the west Front St moat they have 90% finished the dropped ceiling that runs immediately adjacent to the building and seem to be working again on the external doors (the southern one remains closed).

They are installing more stonework at the top of the escalators that go from Bay concourse to/from the main Union Station.

As noted above, by @unicornsample , they have installed signage in the currently closed off section of the Bay concourse and it looks as though they could be getting ready to open a passageway through it leading to Maple Leaf Square and Scotia Bank Arena (doing this would seem necessary before they (Metrolinx) move to fixing the west Bay teamway.) They will be moving to fix (waterproof) the whole of the Bay Street bridge and teamways once they finish working on the York ones.

In the east Front St moat the floor seems to be 100% completed but a section at the stairs to the tunnel and at the bottom of the east stairs (to Bay) is still blocked off. The stairs at the at end are almost done but the north side of them is still closed off. They seem to be working again on the external doors that lead to the Bay St moat.

In the Bay St moat they have started getting ready to lay tiles and have put up 95% of the overhead glass - only the section near the Bay west teamway remains to be done.

Thanks for the updates I lets me know whats happening down there since i cant get down there to see it in person during the Quarantine

Just took a walk around Union (the Danish pastry House needed me!) and can report:

In the York moat they have now basically finished the tiled floor in the east part (nearest the building) and closed off the western part and are clearly getting ready to do work there.

In the west Front St moat they have 90% finished the dropped ceiling that runs immediately adjacent to the building and seem to be working again on the external doors (the southern one remains closed).

They are installing more stonework at the top of the escalators that go from Bay concourse to/from the main Union Station.

As noted above, by @unicornsample , they have installed signage in the currently closed off section of the Bay concourse and it looks as though they could be getting ready to open a passageway through it leading to Maple Leaf Square and Scotia Bank Arena (doing this would seem necessary before they (Metrolinx) move to fixing the west Bay teamway.) They will be moving to fix (waterproof) the whole of the Bay Street bridge and teamways once they finish working on the York ones.

In the east Front St moat the floor seems to be 100% completed but a section at the stairs to the tunnel and at the bottom of the east stairs (to Bay) is still blocked off. The stairs at the at end are almost done but the north side of them is still closed off. They seem to be working again on the external doors that lead to the Bay St moat.

In the Bay St moat they have started getting ready to lay tiles and have put up 95% of the overhead glass - only the section near the Bay west teamway remains to be done.

I guess a September completion of the major portions of the renovation seems realistic.

I walked trough the station yesterday and got caught in a dead end. The Great Hall's east Front St. entrance was shut down, behind some fencing. Anybody know what they're doing there?

I walked trough the station yesterday and got caught in a dead end. The Great Hall's east Front St. entrance was shut down, behind some fencing. Anybody know what they're doing there?

I noticed it as well earlier this week. It strikes me as odd given that they recently closed it (and then reopened it) to do work.

Back