Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Just back from Union, they have just about finished putting the granite tiles on the York Street Moat and have started to put them in the Bay St Moat.

Lots of 'glass guys" adding the 'caulking' to the moat covers and finishing off the metal flashing.

Work ('tidying up") going on in the west Front Moat to finish it off (?), and also in east Front Moat to finish the east stairs and exit - almost (?) done.

The work on the main floor of east Head House building (above Bay Concourse (at east end of Great Hall) continues and it looks possible they will open it as yet another pedestrian route inside Union.

Not much happening on platform 3 of Union where they have been working for about a year on fixing up the bridge over Bay Street but one can now see it better, inside. Not quite sure what the hold-up is and exterior is still 'wrapped'.

I guess the stairs on the west side of the East Front Street moat hasn't had any work done on it since March?

I don't understand why they wouldn't finish the tile work on the little section on the York moat before starting to work on the Bay moat flooring. They always seem to leave little sections scattered throughout Union station unfinished for months and even years like the via rail concourse which has been at 99% done for 2 years. It would be good to have 100% done certain areas.

I guess the stairs on the west side of the East Front Street moat hasn't had any work done on it since March?

I don't understand why they wouldn't finish the tile work on the little section on the York moat before starting to work on the Bay moat flooring. They always seem to leave little sections scattered throughout Union station unfinished for months and even years like the via rail concourse which has been at 99% done for 2 years. It would be good to have 100% done certain areas.
You need to remember that this work is all being done while the Station remains open - OK not as busy as usual but you cannot close too many access points at once. The final section of the York Moat will not take long and not having it finished is not causing any problems. I think they needed to send the tiling guys to do the section of the Bay moat at the doors that go to TTC and Brookfield Place so that they could open the north side of the staircase from the East Front Moat and work on the south side. It's all a bit like a chess game and you need to schedule things in order and not schedule too much in one area at the same time.

The floor tiling in the closed off section in the East Front Street Moat was completed in April and most of the stairs were done by early May. Then they stopped work on it while they finish the tunnel. The tunnel seems to be at the stage before final tiling or close to it.

This is from May 8th. The white plastic and scaffolding is gone now.
View attachment 252698
Thanks for the update Ian....good to see progress on this side. Looks like this moat is pretty close to being completed fully.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

20200623_000348.jpg

I noticed while I was walking through the station tonight that there is much more signage referring to Bay Street and the Bay Concourse going up. All of it is in public facing areas.

I presume this is a sign (no pun intended) that the concourse is opening in short order?

Also.. suddenly I am wondering whatever happened to @tnarduzzi

I noticed while I was walking through the station tonight that there is much more signage referring to Bay Street and the Bay Concourse going up. All of it is in public facing areas.

I presume this is a sign (no pun intended) that the concourse is opening in short order?

Also.. suddenly I am wondering whatever happened to @tnarduzzi
All those signs have been there for at least a year now

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Tender
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc2487291193
Commodity:Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:Request for Tenders for New Corporate Security Office at Union Station
Construction of New Corporate Security Office at Union Station

Issue date:July 6, 2020
ecblank.gif
Closing date:July 21, 2020
at 12:00 Noon

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Tender
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc2487291193
Commodity:Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:Request for Tenders for New Corporate Security Office at Union Station
Construction of New Corporate Security Office at Union Station

Issue date:July 6, 2020
ecblank.gif
Closing date:July 21, 2020
at 12:00 Noon

Have they ever had a truly permanent location?

Years ago I recall when they were in the arrivals corridor in the VIA area next to the stairs from Platform 4 in a little office. Then they moved up to the east end of the Great Hall where the student travel office was. Now they are located in the York Concourse area.

My point is.. they really have not been anywhere permanent in years.

Back