Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Does anyone know if the Grand Hall Chandeliers was re-tendered? I remember a while back someone posted saying that the city had cancelled the tender. Would be sad and not too surprising if the City cheaped out again and decided that lightning doesn't need changing now that the hall looks so much brighter after a bit of TLC.
As far as I know it has not been re-tendered BUT I have been told the last tender call was pulled because the other work going on in the Great Hall was 'in the way' and once the walls and floors are finished they will re-tender it. There is a huge heritage component of the renovation and I think that EVOC are still the heritage architects/consultants. (See: http://evoqarchitecture.com/en/ )

I wonder- is the current dingy chandelier actually the original one that came with the station when it opened?

I don't think so - there was a different one from the 60s-70s, and even that didn't look original.

AoD

I think around the time when they removed the original information booth they replaced alot of the fixtures. There is not much original left in the Great Hall in terms of fixtures. They removed everything from the lights over the ticket wickets all the way through to the lighting. If I had to fathom a guess I would think that the the even the brass railings are modern facsimiles given that their popularity surged in the 80s.

Thanks @Torontovibe - great overview, and I can see that they are installing the gasket for the moat skylight - the glazing should come soon.

I guess the police is concerned about your filming from a safety/terrorism angle.

AoD

I guess the police is concerned about your filming from a safety/terrorism angle.

AoD

As long as they're just asking, it is reasonable from that angle. I was filming a massive leak after a rainstorm in the Bay concourse last summer, and a security guard shouted at me that I couldn't film. Before I could protest, he was corrected by a more senior colleague.

As long as they're just asking, it is reasonable from that angle. I was filming a massive leak after a rainstorm in the Bay concourse last summer, and a security guard shouted at me that I couldn't film. Before I could protest, he was corrected by a more senior colleague.

Indeed - the right to film isn't a right to be free from being asked.

AoD

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.04.53 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.04.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.04.53 PM.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 260
Absolutely. And everytime I see someone filming particular areas at major stations, I report it to security. Let's not forget that VIA Rail was a target:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_VIA_Rail_Canada_terrorism_plot

And Union Station is a big, symbolic and disruptive target. I report it and let the cops figure out if it's permissible or not.

1) reporting it to security is an absurd overreaction--especially as a member of this forum, and a poster in this specific thread, I'd think you'd know better
2) filming is permissible unless for commercial use, the "cops" don't need to "figure out if it's permissible", any commercial operation will likely be easily visible enough to patrols

Back