Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Has there ever been any thoughts of making public the area east of The Great Hall? I believe it's part of Metrolinx's offices (or perhaps still under ScotiaBank control). It's just a bit of a shame you can't walk the entire station, including the Great Hall, from east to west. It would strike me as a spot for a restaurant or something. I think there's even a courtyard in there.

My understanding was that this is part of the plan and has been for years. The only stumbling block has been Scotiabank.

I was in there a couple of years ago when I did a tour of the dig down but there was not much worth seeing

Has there ever been any thoughts of making public the area east of The Great Hall? I believe it's part of Metrolinx's offices (or perhaps still under ScotiaBank control). It's just a bit of a shame you can't walk the entire station, including the Great Hall, from east to west. It would strike me as a spot for a restaurant or something. I think there's even a courtyard in there.
I think that one problem would be that there seems to be no handicapped access/exit from the east end of Union Station to Front Street (or, I think, from Great Hall into the east wing) but I did hear several years ago that once the Scotia lease ends they will move out so there could be something more interesting. (BTW, there IS a courtyard/skylight area - they replace the skylight last fall.

The Outdoor Union Market will not happen this year.

I'm glad. Look, they expanded the pedestrian space in front of Union to accommodate the ever increasing hoards of pedestrians walking through there during rush hour. And then they go and put a market in its place that cuts off 75% of the space, forcing those very same pedestrians through a narrow path?

If they want to put an outdoor market there every summer, then close the street to cars and stage the market in the street.

I'm glad. Look, they expanded the pedestrian space in front of Union to accommodate the ever increasing hoards of pedestrians walking through there during rush hour. And then they go and put a market in its place that cuts off 75% of the space, forcing those very same pedestrians through a narrow path?

If they want to put an outdoor market there every summer, then close the street to cars and stage the market in the street.

In my experience the location of the market is precisely where pedestrians don't walk through - but walk past - though they do need to ensure that it doesn't creep north on weekdays and occupy too much space. It's bit of a balance that need to be flexible and take into account sidewalk usage varying by day/time.

Also it serves a pretty important purpose - food options is severely limited at the station as it stands right now.

AoD

Last edited:
Getting more and more formed.

Periscoping my phone way above my head, pic taken through window above closed-off door in Bay West Teamway 4/5.

IMG_2744.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 296
I think that one problem would be that there seems to be no handicapped access/exit from the east end of Union Station to Front Street (or, I think, from Great Hall into the east wing)
I'm seeing lots of retail on the first floor-- will try to attach screen shot of Osmington schematic. I don't think Scotiabank is on the first floor -- not all of it anyway.
Ironically this could be the spot for an expected TD branch, though that would be kitty-corner to Brookfield Place...
As for accessibility I noticed today that one of three portals linking the East Wing to the Great Hall now appears level. Not sure what would lie beyond; a ramp or lowered floor in the courtyard.
IMG_3184.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3184.PNG
    IMG_3184.PNG
    800.8 KB · Views: 269
Is there plans to Reno the via concourse in the same fashion as York and bay? Sorry I couldn't find anything about it

Is there plans to Reno the via concourse in the same fashion as York and bay? Sorry I couldn't find anything about it

It is being touched up (currently in progress), but not completely redesigned/redone like the Bay and York concourses, due to heritage reasons. They are keeping the same look, just fixing it up a bit.

There will however be a lower level beneath it with retail/food, just as there will be beneath Bay and York.

Back