Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

In that Forum poll cited up thread, 18 percent of people in North York say they are "very likely" to take UPE to the airport. I guess they even moreso than ehlow will learn it is not for them. I don't know why Metrolinx is paying for these polls, we will find out the truth about UPE ridership soon enough.

Another option worth mentioning if you live up north on the Yonge line, is to take the TTC subway to York Mills station, and then take the GO Bus to Pearson from York Mills.

Its express (no stops) and drives right to Pearson.

Thats the route Google Maps suggests.

I believe the GO Bus is $5, and the TTC being $3 you are at about $8. Still cheaper than UPX.
Ah, I forgot about that option even though I used it a couple of weeks ago...the GO bus is actually pretty quick even though it uses the 401. I had to get from Finch Station to the airport quickly a couple of weeks ago and so I took the Finch-Milton bus from Finch to Yorkdale, and then took the York Mills-Brampton bus from Yorkdale to the Airport. Took 55 minutes during rush hour and only cost $5.40. Was worth the $2.60 extra over the TTC to save 25 minutes and not be stressed about possible rush hour delays.

Another option worth mentioning if you live up north on the Yonge line, is to take the TTC subway to York Mills station, and then take the GO Bus to Pearson from York Mills.

Its express (no stops) and drives right to Pearson.

Thats the route Google Maps suggests.

I believe the GO Bus is $5, and the TTC being $3 you are at about $8. Still cheaper than UPX.

In that Forum poll cited up thread, 18 percent of people in North York say they are "very likely" to take UPE to the airport. I guess they even moreso than ehlow will learn it is not for them. I don't know why Metrolinx is paying for these polls, we will find out the truth about UPE ridership soon enough.

From most of North York yeah it's inconvenient. From Yonge & Eg, going to Union station by subway is fine, I do it all the time :)

I also usually only have a few small bags, so walking from the subway to UPX station shouldn't be a problem.

The GO bus sounds from York Mills to Pearson sounds OK (and waaay better than taking the Lawrence bus). I've never heard of it before now.

That Lawrence bus is brutal. Sooooo slooooooow and unpredictable due to traffic. Add in any kind of luggage and forget about it.

Of course, soon one will be able to take the 52 to catch a UPx train at Weston station. :)

From most of North York yeah it's inconvenient. From Yonge & Eg, going to Union station by subway is fine, I do it all the time :)

I also usually only have a few small bags, so walking from the subway to UPX station shouldn't be a problem.

The GO bus sounds from York Mills to Pearson sounds OK (and waaay better than taking the Lawrence bus). I've never heard of it before now.

this is a real issue in this city (not picking on you here)......when I talk to people about getting to the airport you get the impression that people (in general) think there is no way to get to the airport other than drive or cab.

For a city with no (current) rail link to the airport we actually have a very interesting group of public transit options. None ideal but there is a range of prices and times and services....so the immediate reaction (fueled IMO by bad media about "$30 fares) to the UPe was understandable when thought of as the only transit option....but it is not.

As I have said before, the big missing one to me is some sort of connector from Malton GO to Pearson but there are TTC/MiWay/GO/Brampton Transit buses services right to the terminal doors and, yes, they take longer than a direct rail link.....but they also cost a lot less and serve different points in the region.

there are TTC/MiWay/GO/Brampton Transit buses services right to the terminal doors and
The lower level arrival level. You still have to lug to the correct check-in upstairs departure level. Add up to +5mins. UPX/Taxis/Limos are elevated to the departure level and thus faster to check-in. Granted, you'll do a little more lugging by walking to Union, but you get a small bit time back.

Last edited:
The lower level arrival level. You still have to lug to the correct check-in upstairs departure level. Add up to +5mins. UPX/Taxis/Limos are elevated to the departure level and thus faster to check-in. Granted, you'll do a little more lugging by walking to Union, but you get a small bit time back.

I am not at all anti-UPe and I do think it is a better/premium service.....my point was that a lot of the backlash on the pricing was in the form of "we finally have transit to the airport and it costs $19"......the finally part was incorrect, there are other cheaper (albeit less convenient) transit options and the consumer will, in the end, decide what the right option for them is.

The UPX Station is next to the LINK train station, which is still a bit of a walk from the departure gates. I don't think it would take that much longer to walk from the bus stop as it would to walk from the UPX Station to your gate.

The UPX Station is next to the LINK train station, which is still a bit of a walk from the departure gates. I don't think it would take that much longer to walk from the bus stop as it would to walk from the UPX Station to your gate.
Yep. The LINK people mover is just like walking across a platform.

Heck, they could synchronize LINK timing to UPX! LINK runs at 4minute peak and 8minute offpeak, so a 16minute cycle can easily be modified to 15minutes (there's enough margin in LINK to allow that), and have a LINK waiting at the :00 :15 :30 and :45 when UPX arrives. This would make it much faster than a drive between Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Even offpeak.

Some people here needs to do some pedometer tests when UPX starts operating. :D

Last edited:

it is closer and more convenient but, yes, there is a walk.

It may have been mentioned in the threads, but does anyone know where exactly is the Union terminal? I read somewhere that it involves a walk on the skywalk, so does it mean it is not at Bay/Front or even York, but rather at Simcoe just north of the rail tracks?

It may have been mentioned in the threads, but does anyone know where exactly is the Union terminal? I read somewhere that it involves a walk on the skywalk, so does it mean it is not at Bay/Front or even York, but rather at Simcoe just north of the rail tracks?
It's next to the Skywalk, so pretty much at Simcoe.

It's next to the Skywalk, so pretty much at Simcoe.

thanks. Then it is a 20 minutes walk from where I live, versus 1 minute to the subway. Subway + 192 normally takes me 60-65 minutes, now with a 20 minutes walk, 25 minutes right, and potentially 5-10 minutes waiting, it takes 50-55 minutes, a saving of 10 minutes? Is it really worth it even for someone who lives at southern part of downtown?

I may still use the UPx just because it eliminates two connections and is probably more reliable than the TTC which often stops randomly for no obvious reason, but the benefit/cost doesn't seem to be that great.

thanks. Then it is a 20 minutes walk from where I live, versus 1 minute to the subway. Subway + 192 normally takes me 60-65 minutes, now with a 20 minutes walk, 25 minutes right, and potentially 5-10 minutes waiting, it takes 50-55 minutes, a saving of 10 minutes? Is it really worth it even for someone who lives at southern part of downtown?

I may still use the UPx just because it eliminates two connections and is probably more reliable than the TTC which often stops randomly for no obvious reason, but the benefit/cost doesn't seem to be that great.

each will make their own call but if you are going to add 5-10 minute walk from the UPe station at the airport to your gate...then don't you have to add a 7 - 12 minute walk from the bus terminal at the airport to your gate also?

Back