Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

As a daily Weston GO rider, there are always at least 40 people that get on and off of the GO train in the morning and evening. I think they (and me) would happily pay my $5.09 on UPX.
Fair enough. UPX isn't a rush only service though.

I'm still a bit lost on the UPX stations. Are these stations completely different/separated from GO stations or are they just extended platforms with one for GO and the other for UPX?

I'm still a bit lost on the UPX stations. Are these stations completely different/separated from GO stations or are they just extended platforms with one for GO and the other for UPX?

The UPX portion is just an extension of the GO platform, with a high level platform. At Bloor, if you come in from the street, you walk the full length (3 car lengths) of the UPX platform to get to the GO platform.

In theory, a GO train and a UPX train could both use the station at the same time - one behind the other. For obvious reasons, that doesn't actually happen.

- Paul

Couldn't have they bought trains with the same platform height? Seems it would make a lot more sense for integration to have the same height platforms for each.

Couldn't have they bought trains with the same platform height? Seems it would make a lot more sense for integration to have the same height platforms for each.
There are no FRA compliant low floor DMUs on the market. SMART bought high floor and piggybacking their order was the cheapest/quickest way to make it happen before Pan Ams.

Moving Weston's GO riders onto UPX makes less sense now that GO has ramped up service. It would push the ridership numbers up, yes, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes other than looking good.

Terminating this UPX stop and saving the two minutes' delay makes more sense. I wonder if a stop in the Liberty area might have a market - just because of the number of people living within walking distance. I doubt many people around Liberty backtrack to Union, it would be faster just to grab a cab directly to the airport.

I do observe a fair number of people boarding or alighting at Bloor.

- Paul

Most people in Liberty take an UberX, which runs around $27-30 and depending on when you go it might be more. There's also a limo service which is a flat $42. I can definitely tell you that if there was a stop, it'd get lots of service. It'd be cheaper than the above options and take the uncertainty out of driving there.

Personally, I took the UPX from Pearson to Bloor station and then the TTC to Liberty Village via Dundas West>Ossington>63 bus. It makes the trip a bit cheaper and i think a bit faster than taking it to Union and then 504/509 to Liberty. Only cost $18 with Presto.

Personally, I took the UPX from Pearson to Bloor station and then the TTC to Liberty Village via Dundas West>Ossington>63 bus. It makes the trip a bit cheaper and i think a bit faster than taking it to Union and then 504/509 to Liberty. Only cost $18 with Presto.

Since the track is sitting idle anyways, I wonder how much it would cost to extend UPX a little eastwards, say up the Don Branch with a stop at Queen. Perhaps even to Leaside. I suspect both of those areas generate a fair volume of auto based trips to Pearson. Leaside strikes me as a potential kiss and ride kind of hub. Just an idle thought.

- Paul

Since the track is sitting idle anyways, I wonder how much it would cost to extend UPX a little eastwards, say up the Don Branch with a stop at Queen. Perhaps even to Leaside. I suspect both of those areas generate a fair volume of auto based trips to Pearson. Leaside strikes me as a potential kiss and ride kind of hub. Just an idle thought.

- Paul
would it be easy/efficient to get the trains through Union to the east side?

With only one platform at Union it would be pretty tricky, not to mention that the DB itself is single tracked. DMUs from Redway Road to Union might be worth looking at but I don't think anyone would use them to go to Pearson, especially once Crosstown opens and UPX gets a stop on the line.

I saw the UPX at 90% capacity last Thursday. Sure, it was probably the busiest travel day all year, but that's something? Right?! ;)

That's about as full as you would ever want it. Sounds like they'll need the 3rd car next year, for that day at least.

Last edited:
I saw the UPX at 90% capacity last Thursday. Sure, it was probably the busiest travel day all year, but that's something? Right?! ;)

One can't cherry pick dates. My friend left for Mexico yesterday and said he was the only passenger in that car and wondered how the UPX can manage to survive.

Dec 29 At Etobicoke North GO Station.

Miss 2 trains passing each other within seconds. Almost 2 minutes between these videos. Westbound was using track 3 while eastbound was on 2. GO westbound was using 1.

Back