Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I note that the menu you reproduce also has a special offer that expired September 30, 2014 so think yours is old.Your menu may be an old unlinked file that they forgot to remove?
I still can't choose my seat with Air Canada online when I book with a partner (like United). The ability to choose your seats online was "Coming Soon in 2014" for a while. It also never calculates my baggage fee correctly. I don't think AC is exactly on top of IT.

I note that the menu you reproduce also has a special offer that expired September 30, 2014 so think yours is old. Did you find it on their site or on a plane? I was going through Air Canada's site and I found another - more recent and linked to - menu on the AC site that lists UP Express:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/dining/na/onboard/documents/ac_cafe_menu.pdf Your menu may be an old unlinked file that they forgot to remove?

I don't remember exactly how I got to that menu, I was doing some price checks on flights and I wanted to check out the menus on the flights. So it wasn't like I was digging around to find an old link or anything, but it looks like they have multiple menu links on their site, some updated and some old.

And, today I'm going to go pick up my daughter via UPX. She's 16, but doesn't have Presto as she normally buys a monthly TTC pass. So, standard fare (as no need to buy the Presto) will cost a buck or so more than the Presto discount + a new card fee. My fare will be $27.50 return on the Meet & Greet. Total, just over $50, which would be one way with a cab. I guess I could schlep via the rocket out, but that would be a very long trek.

It's quite possible UPX was basically just set up for me, but thank you for all your tax dollars, because I love it.

Took the UPX Union>Pearson>Union today and for the first time, when I got back to the station at Pearson to board heading back home, both the platform edge doors and the train's doors were closed in the "press button to open" mode. Presumably this is due to the cold weather+winds today, I've probably taken the UPX about 20-25 times one-way and have never seen this happen at Union or Pearson in the Summer or Fall. Also, today, I got to Union with 7 minutes to departure and the doors were fully open the entire time; at Pearson I got there about the same with 6 minutes remaining and the doors were closed.

Pressed the green button for the platform edge doors, and it opened both those and the train's doors automatically; about 10-15 seconds later, the "TTC chime" played and both doors closed behind me. Definitely nice to have the cold air kept out. Thought that was neat, first time I've seen it done with the UPX.

Number 7 on the NY Times list of places to visit in 2016 is none other than Toronto.....one of the features they mention in their short blurb is the train from the airport.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/travel/places-to-visit.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=nytmm_FadingSlideShow_item&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1 said:
Toronto is remaking itself as Canada’s premier city, quietly slipping out of the shadow of Montreal and Vancouver. Last year, the Queens Quay on Lake Ontario reopened, part of the largest continuing urban revitalization project in North America. It now has bike and pedestrian paths and new streetcars that link green spaces and promenades that will be full of public art. The Junction, a former industrial area, has emerged as Toronto’s most stylish neighborhood for its bars, live music and coffee shops. And the city is becoming easier to visit: a train now whisks travelers downtown from the airport in 25 minutes, and Air Canada offers extended stopovers for connecting passengers. Toronto has long been known for its cultural diversity and continues to draw major artistic and sporting events, including the Toronto International Film Festival each September, and the 2016 N.B.A. All-Star game, held outside the United States for the first time.

In December Metrolinx reported the latest ridership for the UP Express - in October it was 79,000 (71,000 in June).

The TTC has also reported the ridership of the 192 Airport Rocket in 2014 when the average daily ridership of the 192 Airport Rocket for an average month was over 130,000 riders.

Seems pretty clear which line is winning the revenue battle, UPX by 7x. Just need the city to subsidize 70% of the UPX fare like they do with the 192.

Anyway, more GO trains now and junk the Weston stop for UPX.

Seems pretty clear which line is winning the revenue battle, UPX by 7x. Just need the city to subsidize 70% of the UPX fare like they do with the 192.

Anyway, more GO trains now and junk the Weston stop for UPX.
Where did you obtain the information that the 192 is subsidized to the tune of 70%?

Also, revenue doesn't matter if it's costing more to operate than the revenues.

Where did you obtain the information that the 192 is subsidized to the tune of 70%?
It sounds about right. We know from previous reports that revenue per trip averages about $2, and that the average trip has 1.7 legs. So revenue is about $1.18 per rider.

TTC last reported costs per route in 2012 - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Transit_Planning/Surface_Ridership_2012.jsp - the 192 cost about $16,100 for 4,000 passengers on a weeday. So that's about $4 per rider. So the subsidy is about $2.78 - which would be 69.5%

Also, revenue doesn't matter if it's costing more to operate than the revenues.
Yes it does - the question is how much does it cost more.

Look at the 22 Coxwell. It costs $8,600 per day for 7,200 riders. Or $1.19 per rider. So the subsity is $0.01 - which would be about about 1%.

On the other hand, look at the 107 Keele North. It costs $9,900 for 820 riders a day - that's well over $12 a day - a subsidy of $10.89 per rider - over 90%. The route would not exist, if it wasn't for the (not included) service into York Region.

Of course, these are approximate, as some routes probably have riders who are higher than a 1.7 average leg per trip, and some would be lower. But they are generally indicated.

I'm not sure which I'm more agog at being seriously regarded - Metrolinx ridership as an indicator of revenue, or TTC's allocation of costs per route...

Interesting data. UPX has always been predicated on a target fare recovery that differs from TTC norms.

Hypothetically - if 192 subsidy is 70%, and is $4.....and UPX subsidy turns out to be 30%, and is $10, are we happy?

The two good things we know are: 192 buses are usually full, and UPX ridership is going up. The former fact says 192 is worth supporting, and the latter fact says wait and see, for a while yet.

- Paul

UPX is heavily used in my company.. Because I made sure to tell everyone travelling to our office in Toronto to take the train. They're all very happy with the service and speed.

I still think not many people know about this.. It's all word of mouth.

UPX is heavily used in my company.. Because I made sure to tell everyone travelling to our office in Toronto to take the train. They're all very happy with the service and speed.

I still think not many people know about this.. It's all word of mouth.
Had an interesting experience yesterday.....one of our guys is travelling to Montreal...I asked if he was flying off the island...said no because flights from Pearson were ~$200 cheaper than island...then I asked if he was taking UP to the airport he said "when does that go into service?"....was stunned when I told him it had been running since last June.

Back