Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I think there is no love lost either way. The TTC actively avoids direct connections to GO/UP. If you look at Weston there is zero effort to get bus riders into the station. Same as Dundas. Same as almost every other GO station.
Same for the TTC Line 3 station at Ellesemere. Not even a sidewalk to get from the station to the westbound 95 bus (which they list as serving the station!)

Might not mean anything that they don't treat GO stations better than similarly placed TTC stations.

1543256606658.png

Last edited:
Note it`s Metrolinx choosing UBER over the TTC. Again one of the many problems of having transit fiefdoms who`s primary goal is to serve `their` riders like somehow a rider taking the UPX is different from the same rider transferring from the TTC.

Built in Japan then shipped to Georgia then shipped back across to the west coast? There appears to be so many things about international commerce that I clearly don't understand.
The Nippon Sharyo were always shipped as parts to Illinois, and then assembled, albeit with some local content. (The North Am derivative uses Cummins engines) The problem for the NS is and will continue to be price. If there was one thing Ontario did right, it was piggybacking the order on the SMART one. Once the contract was filled, NS stated that the units would cost roughly twice what they were supplied for in the initial order.

There's something odd about the figures being touted, either now or prior:
by electricron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm

SMART originally ordered 18 Nippon Sharyo Sumitomo DMUs, enough for 9 married-pairs last year for $56.8 million. Since then, the length of the initial operating segment of the railroad they plan to build has shrunk approximately by half. Therefore, because Toronto also ordered 12 "options" off the SMART's order, SMART could order less without penalty, which they did last week. Now, SMART is only ordering 12 DMUs, enough for 6 married-pairs, with a savings of slightly more than $17 million. Now they are spending just $39 million for DMUs.
http://www.sonomamarintrain.org/userfiles/file/Board 2011-04-20 Agenda packet.pdf
SMART's DMUs
SMART%2BCar.jpg

Toronto's DMUs
20110401170042ENPRNPRN12-SUMITOMO-DMU-1y-1301677242MR-2.jpg
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=55974#p924313

Excellent heads-up on the story. So one has to wonder: Were Metrolinx aware of this supplementary order by SMART, and if so, were additional units considered by Metrolinx? If not, why not?

Same for the TTC Line 3 station at Ellesemere. Not even a sidewalk to get from the station to the westbound 95 bus (which they list as serving the station!)

Might not mean anything that they don't treat GO stations better than similarly placed TTC stations.

View attachment 165060
Sometimes a picture can say so much.

You should send that photo to the applicable City Councillor and Mayor as well as any other such issues. As I mentioned in another long buried thread it took a meeting of no less than 18 City Agencies and actors to get a few redundant posts removed from a local subway entrance.

You should send that photo to the applicable City Councillor and Mayor as well as any other such issues. As I mentioned in another long buried thread it took a meeting of no less than 18 City Agencies and actors to get a few redundant posts removed from a local subway entrance.
I would if they weren't already planning to close this TTC station when Line 3 closes! Though it would be classic government to finally connect it to surface transit after 4- years at the same time you close it!

Built in Japan then shipped to Georgia then shipped back across to the west coast? There appears to be so many things about international commerce that I clearly don't understand.

The Nippon Sharyo were always shipped as parts to Illinois, and then assembled, albeit with some local content.

He probably didn't get the same thing that I don't get: Why wouldn't it ship directly to the port of San Francisco or Oakland? Why go from Pacific to Atlantic for an offload in the gulf?!? Heck, even LA or San Diego would have made more sense...

He probably didn't get the same thing that I don't get: Why wouldn't it ship directly to the port of San Francisco or Oakland? Why go from Pacific to Atlantic for an offload in the gulf?!? Heck, even LA or San Diego would have made more sense...
Because the company representing Nippon Sharyo in the US is still Sumitomo. And their factory capable of assembling the NS DMUs is in Georgia.

About Sumitomo Corporation of Americas
Established in 1952 and headquartered in New York City, Sumitomo Corporation of Americas (SCOA) has 8 offices in major U.S. cities. SCOA is the largest subsidiary of Sumitomo Corporation, one of the world’s leading traders of goods and services. As an integrated business enterprise, the firm has emerged as a major organizer of multination projects, an expediter of ideas, an important international investor and financier, and a powerful force for distribution of products and global communications through a network of offices worldwide.

Sumitomo Corporation of Americas has been supplying passenger railcars and railway related products in the North American market since the 1960s. With many partners, SCOA has supplied the railway products such as the world’s longest rail using the world’s first long rail transport vessel, wheels to the North American railway industry.
For more information visit https://www.sumitomocorp.com/en/us/.
Sumitomo Corporation of America and Nippon Sharyo, Ltd Awarded Contract By Metrolinx in Toronto, Canada to Supply 12 Diesel Multiple Units (DMU)
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Sumitomo Corporation of America
Apr 01, 2011, 01:00 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/javascript:void(0)
NEW YORK, April 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sumitomo Corporation of America in conjunction with its car builder partner Nippon Sharyo, entered into contract on March 29, 2011, with Metrolinx in Toronto, Canada to supply 12 Diesel Multiple Units (DMUs). The contract price is $53 million for 12 DMUs and includes an option for Metrolinx to purchase up to an additional 6 cars. If the option is exercised, the total contract would amount to $75 million. These vehicles are scheduled for delivery in 2014, and will be the first vehicle delivery to Canada for the Sumitomo Corporation of America/ Nippon Sharyo team. [...]
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...y-12-diesel-multiple-units-dmu-119069669.html

When the NS double decker coach contract went south, Sumitomo fired NS (whose US division went bankrupt) and since the contract for both the DMUs and the DDs was signed with Sumitomo, Sumi assigned the contract to Siemens for the coaches.

Read the entire news release linked above, and regard the prices quoted. To the best of my knowledge, and I've searched intently more than a few times, Metrolinx and/or QP never released the exact cost figure. You'll note the numbers are never consistent from one release, report or analysis to the next.

There's still a hell of a story to be told on it...

Siemens replaces Nippon Sharyo in multi-state coach order - Railway ...
https://www.railwaygazette.com/.../siemens-replaces-nippon-sharyo-in-multi-state-coa...

Nov 10, 2017 - Caltrans said the ‘100% Buy America’ coaches would be built at Siemens’ Sacramento plant. USA: A multi-state contract for Sumitomo Corp of Americas to supply locomotive–hauledcoaches for use in California, Illinois, Michigan and Missouri has been amended, with the order ...
[PPT]Caltrans/IDOT New Single-Level Passenger ... - High Speed Rail
www.highspeed-rail.org/.../NGEC_annual%20meeting%202018_CALIDOT%20prese...

Sumitomo Corporation of Americas/ Siemens Industry, Inc. Speakers: ... Ray Ginnell, Siemens ... Caltrans, CT-1B, 7, End coach car coupled to locomotive, 4, H-S.
[...]
And lo and behold! Siemens supplies single level coaches...any guesses as to how similar they are to the Charger package based on the Vectrons and Railjet? Brightline will give you a clue...

Edit for Clarity:
Haven't the time to search for an actual reference to the NS US div going bankrupt, but here's the indication of such:
Nippon Sharyo Equity Dashboard

Based on latest financial disclosure Nippon Sharyo Ltd has Probability Of Bankruptcy of 50.0%. This is much higher than that of the Industrials sector...
https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/NPPSF--Probability-Of-Bankruptcy

They certainly closed shop in the US, bankrupt or not...

Last edited:
^ On the TTC and Metrolinx non-marriage and cold shoulder, just noticed yesterday, when *Yet Again* I met a bewildered mother with two kids wandering around Bloor Station looking to get to Dundas West TTC station, so I shepherded her and her baby in pram and toddler upstairs to the "2400 Dundas West loop" https://www.google.ca/search?q=2400...&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)..and lo and behold, realized why so many still get so lost:

Metrolinx, in their infinite wisdom, understanding and being responsible to The People, have only signs for *Uber* "this way"...absolutely no mention of the TTC, at least from the western exit and walkway to the FreshCo parking lot, but *Uber* is shown at least two times. I would have taken a pic of it, but for being dark. I'll get one and post when daylit.

Unbelievable...

Last edited:
Metrolinx has a buyer for the Current fleet of DMU to the point they need 4 cars ASP. SMART just received 4 damage DMU power cars from Japan that were to go into service in Dec, but will be about June 2019 before these cars are repaired.

SMART doesn't where or when damage took place and UP Rail is saying anything as well. Crews were flown in from Japan to see what could be repair here and what has to be order from Japan. <https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/9001313-181/four-new-rail-cars-costing?artslide=0&sba=AAS>

These 4 cars would allow SMART to beef up current service, but going to need more for the next phase of expansion and more service

I don`t get the point, how can Metrolinx find `buyers` of it`s DMUs when it needs them for the UPX?
I can see the possibility of their 'looking ahead'...or at least some staff. Just as the 'old streetcars' are often 'spoken for' before being replaced. The huge glitch in this is what's going to replace the Nippons? Electrification is a far distant theoretical galaxy to Metrolinx and their blind masters. And now Verster has 'the vacant gaze' in his eyes and responses. Resistance to the present Overlords is futile. "I will do as they say...for they are the voice of God, and I shall worship them, no matter what".

Back