Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

My view is that SmartTrack style enhancements/principles (the reasonable ideas like infill stations and EMUs) being applied to GO RER, is likely to turn much of the inner GO network into a defacto "metro" in a world definition, attaining many (even if not all) subway-like characteristics.
Te best North American example of that is BART. It works much like a metro in the SF core, but a commuter rail in the outskirts. It's a good service, but it again has no connection to the Union Pearson express, as the infrastructure cannot support this style of service. The only thing to note there is that it costs $8.95 one-way from downtown SF to the airport, pulling within about 15 meters of the door to the terminal.

Te best North American example of that is BART. It works much like a metro in the SF core, but a commuter rail in the outskirts. It's a good service, but it again has no connection to the Union Pearson express, as the infrastructure cannot support this style of service. The only thing to note there is that it costs $8.95 one-way from downtown SF to the airport, pulling within about 15 meters of the door to the terminal.

Minor point but that is if you are an international traveler, so yes a Canadian using BART and SFO gets a bit of a skewed image. For their domestic travel (which likely makes a larger percentage of their customers)

http://www.bart.gov/guide/airport/outbound_sfo said:
When you arrive at the BART station in SFO's International Terminal, take the AirTrain Red Line to Terminal 1, 2 or 3 for domestic flights. You can also walk to Terminal 1 or 3 in 5 to 10 minutes.

Since we do not separate terminals by international/domestic the proximity of UP to the terminal is a different dynamic than SFO.

Good point. Though BART train interiors are consistently gross :) I really wish that whatever EMUs they decide to use for UPX in the future, they can create a modern and comfortable environment that serves as an extension of the airport and not your typical TTC spartan interior.

upload_2016-2-22_16-6-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-22_16-6-8.png
    upload_2016-2-22_16-6-8.png
    156 KB · Views: 441
So essentially what we've been paying for with PRESTO all along. The local express fares sound good. It'll be useful if you need to get to the west end quickly.

I've always found $19 to be fair for an express train to the airport. I don't see them reducing the PRESTO fare all that much if at all. Optimistically, $15 would be a nice round number that would encourage tourists to get a PRESTO card and ride transit while here but I my guess is that they're eliminating the PRESTO savings and keeping everything at $19 flat.

Last edited:
They can even get away with $19. The problem is the stupid Presto/cash fare differential. They thought it'd get more people to use Presto locally, while sort of fleecing out-of-towners. Doesn't work that way. Anybody travelling in a group or who can expense a cab sees $27.50 (especially if they are from out of town) and heads for the taxi line.

The marketing genius behind the fare scheme screwed up.

In case that brings up the paywall for anyone:

Metrolinx is set to slash the cost to ride Toronto’s airport train to under $20, The Globe and Mail has learned, and make it cheaper than a TTC express bus to ride within the city.
According to a plan being finalized by the regional transit agency, the under-used train to the airport will get much more affordable, with the province accepting that the “premium” business model has not been working.
The base fare – the full cost of riding without a Presto card or any of the discounts – is now $27.50. Multiple sources say that that will drop substantially, taking a ride on the Union Pearson Express (UPX) below the psychological barrier of $20.
There will also be much lower fares for passengers hoping to travel between the train’s three stations in the city, a bid to make it more attractive to commuters. Sources say that people would be able to ride the train from Union station to Bloor west or Weston for the equivalent of GO rail fares, which would mean the price dropping to under $6 from around $11 to $15. The Toronto Transit Commission cash fare is $3.25 – or $2.90 if buying tokens – and they charge double for their express buses.
The new fares are subject to approval by the board of Metrolinx, which will hold a special meeting Tuesday evening. With pressure from Queen’s Park to get more people on the train, they are not expected to push back.
Low ridership on the UPX has become an increasing political headache for the Ontario Liberals. They insisted on building the train after the private sector decided its prospects didn’t look good enough and have faced fierce criticism since it started running last June.
The province retained the private sector’s vision of a high-end train that would pay its day-to-day costs from the fare box. To break even the train would need to carry about 7,000 people per day. Based on projections before the launch, Metrolinx believed that would take three to five years. Public take-up has been slow, though, and the train has been bleeding money since it launched.
For months Metrolinx has insisted that price was not holding back ridership on the UPX. But after limited rises in the early months, ridership turned around and dropped in November and December, prompted concerns at the agency and at Queen’s Park. A flurry of specials offers began to appear.
A promotion allowing people to do a return trip for the price of a one-way fare was used 10,000 times by 19-January, according to Metrolinx, the last date for which figures are publicly available. And an event last weekend offering free rides highlighted how much latent interest there was.
After averaging only about 2,220 people per day in December, the train carried around 40,000 people over the course of the Family Day three-day weekend. Some people lined up for hours to ride the train. It was not clear, though, how many of the total were airport travellers and how many were merely curious. A Metrolinx official said that travellers, who were able to jump the queue, formed the majority during what are normally their peak travel times of the day.
The train cost $456-million to build and was promised as part of the city’s successful bid for the Pan Am Games.
These games were touted, in the lead up, as fundamental to the train’s early success. A report from consultants Steer Davies Gleave called their first-year projections “conservative given the Pan-Am Games in July 2015, just three months after opening.” The games were projected to add 4,000 passengers per day to the regular ridership. The hoped-for boost that didn’t materialize, with the train carrying a total average of about 2,500 a day during that period.

I have said continually that it would NOT use third rail! How many times do I have to say it/ Catenary is used extensively throughout the world for Metros and again Barcelona, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Delhi use exclusively catenary and most of Tokyo. Catenary is superior to third rail in outdoor operations and using current railways as there is not chance of electrification when crossing the tracks. They are particularly better in cold and snowy climate like Toronto's as snow and flooding can shut third rail down but not catenary.

The stations are already 80 meters so that's 4 subway cars. Metro/subway cars can be designed with different level boarding, track, rubber or steel, third rail or catenary..........if fact most of London's Underground is neither but actually 4th rail but it doesn't seem to have slowed them down.

Wouldn't catenary still depend in part on GO's electrification timeline? And running a service with subway-like frequency would still have to contend with GO/CP/CN use of the corridor, since SmartTrack probably won't get its own track.

So essentially what we've been paying for with PRESTO all along. The local express fares sound good. It'll be useful if you need to get to the west end quickly.

I've always found $19 to be fair for an express train to the airport. I don't see them reducing the PRESTO fare all that much if at all. Optimistically, $15 would be a nice round number that would encourage tourists to get a PRESTO card and ride transit while here but I my guess is that they're eliminating the PRESTO savings and keeping everything at $19 flat.

I would think that any encouragement to get people to buy a Presto would have to see the cost of the Presto recovered in the discount. The current $27.50 to $19 meant that even if you only used it one time you were still saving money by taking the time to buy a Presto. If the discount was only $4 you would need to guarantee you were going to use it at least 2 times to be "in the money".

So the Presto fare to Pearson isn't going down at all? $38 to go to the airport and back is outrageous. Will continue taking the 192.

So the Presto fare to Pearson isn't going down at all? $38 to go to the airport and back is outrageous. Will continue taking the 192.
I don't think anyone knows that....what has been said by the Globe is that the base fare (currently $27.50) is dropping below $20.

They can even get away with $19. The problem is the stupid Presto/cash fare differential. They thought it'd get more people to use Presto locally, while sort of fleecing out-of-towners. Doesn't work that way. Anybody travelling in a group or who can expense a cab sees $27.50 (especially if they are from out of town) and heads for the taxi line.

The marketing genius behind the fare scheme screwed up.

So did the genius who figured that $27.50 was a reasonable willingness to pay.

In case that brings up the paywall for anyone:

Thank you for doing this.

Back