Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Bit off topic, I saw from my GO train that they were doing some work with the UP Express clock at Union. Any reason?
Hasn't work from day one and totally useless in the first place.

UPX riders can't see it, some riders using GO will see it as well some of the office towers folks.

In addition to the useless clock location, some comments in regards to the "design-by-committee look" of the otherwise beauty of a UPX station, that needs to be fixed within 12 months:

- Airport arrival boards are never noticed by more than half of UPX passengers.
It's off to a secluded cubby. Should be moved or copied to blank wall east-end wall nearest Balzac's.

- The ceremonial placement of foreign-cash ATMs and airline ticketing kiosks are also secluded.
Most of us are using online checkin now, and these kiosks aren't exactly helpful in regards to baggage check-in. Putting them secluded where they are will keep them underutilized. Move one each to one of the central pillars, for more eyeball attraction.

- Inacessibility of UPstairs lounge/bar.
What's with that labyrinthe 6 or 7 direction changes I have to go!?!? Enter door, turn right 90°, go up steps, turn left 90°, walk forward, turn left 90°, go up more steps, turn left 90°, go thru door, turn left 90°, walk down corridor, turn right 90°, and finally I see UPstairs Lounge for the first time. Even the elevator doesn't open directly into lounge, so it's still labyrinthe even with the elevator. UPstairs lounge, if it was privately operated, would be destined for bankruptcy unless this is fixed, stat. It's a nice quiet place to hang with your laptop if you missed your GOtrain and need less cacophony to park yourself for a little while. But if 90% of UPX visitors don't even know it exists, it's not going to be much of a help, considering the relative short waits for trains

Not to mention, massive improvements needed in Union Station wayfinding (for people unfamiliar with UPX) being needed as time passes.

Last edited:
As of Aug 10, part of the new east platform at Bloor is open only during service hours and close off outside those hours 100%.

Riders can gain access to UPX platforms as well on the centre platform.

Standard fencing is going up like I said how it would happen.

Both Platforms and the new walkway from Dundas St will be open for Sept. This will leave the building the north section of the east GO platform.

Looks like 2 A-C and 3 A-B operating on UPX Line.

As for the Path, from the north side of the stairs to/from Bloor St to Wallace Ave, the path will have to move 100% or close to, to east side of the path ROW leave next to no greenery and maintain the current with of the path. I would heavily recommend against reducing the width of the path. Even the greenery on the west side would be lost 100% in shifting the path for track 1 and the sound barrier. This is still 5-10 years down the road.

Aug 15
As a note regarding Union Station Clock, various GO senior staff has question why there are clocks on the platforms when the time is display on the platforms screens in the first place as well at Union.

The Railpath is fine from Bloor St to Randolph and will loose some greenery on the west side for the sound barrier. North of Randolph to Wallace is your problem area.

They are rebuilding part of the new UPX Shelters already. More up on site
20636144901_a1e8275a79_b.jpg

20441493358_17dd6a617d_b.jpg

20006972294_284b27af3f_b.jpg

20636177801_35bc581c44_b.jpg

20008666093_d7c0bbd6da_b.jpg

20603320396_530e3c6138_b.jpg

20441565050_f7bfdb83ae_b.jpg

20629554805_3092ef48ef_b.jpg

20441552188_16f7993f2f_b.jpg

Since the Railpath is City-owned park property, is there any kind of deal between Metrolinx and the City regarding encroachment into the park, etc.? If the walls get pushed into park space and the path has to get shifted over, people won't be pleased... Wasn't it possible to just build everything meter further from the path in the first place?
I also remember reading/hearing about the possibility of using some Railpath space to create another elevator and stairway to get under that future track. Otherwise, when that track goes in, there will be no way to access the station from the path/negihbourhood, unless to go all the way to Bloor St.

Wasn't it possible to just build everything meter further from the path in the first place?

Not possible. Look at the aerial overview of the GTS corridor at Bloor St. As is there's barely enough space in the right of way for the 2 platforms and 6 tracks - 4 for the Weston Sub(UPX & Kitchener line)and 2 for the Galt Sub(Milton line). They couldn't just shift the future track one westward because it would eat into the space needed for the northern(east) platform. As it is that platform will already be much smaller in width than the southern(west) platform.

Not possible. Look at the aerial overview of the GTS corridor at Bloor St. As is there's barely enough space in the right of way for the 2 platforms and 6 tracks - 4 for the Weston Sub(UPX & Kitchener line)and 2 for the Galt Sub(Milton line). They couldn't just shift the future track one westward because it would eat into the space needed for the northern(east) platform. As it is that platform will already be much smaller in width than the southern(west) platform.

Hadn't seen the updated Google satellite imagery recently. Looks like it was just taken this spring/summer. Neat to see the station from above, and the West Toronto Diamond looks funky too:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6672756,-79.4595064,561m/data=!3m1!1e3

Then I guess it's unlikely that Milton trains will be stopping here anytime soon, assuming that another platform would be required.

There is enough room on the west side to put in a walk-in platform since the tunnel already exist to all the other platforms.

This stop would become a SmartTrack station let alone an RER

"The Union Pearson Express will run every half hour instead of every 15 minutes"

At first I thought this was a permanent change because so few people are using it. It turns out that this is only temporary due to construction.

Back