Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Yep...huge difference for the folks heading East after the match....those heading west can take upwards of 15 minutes to get through tunnel.
You could tap at the easy south platform before heading through the tunnel to the north platform. Just remember when waiting for the train at Long Branch incoming to the game, wait around till 2-3 minutes before train arrival before the first tap. :)

Interesting comment from Rocco Rossi during something called #ONTakesFlight (some sort of planning strategy seminar on Toronto Pearson's future).

https://twitter.com/roccorossiTO/status/595262852702851072

UPX is projected to carry 8% of air travelers at Pearson. Now some will say at what cost did we incur to serve only 8% of travelers. However with a 38,572,416 travelers served in 2014, 8% is just over 3 million riders per year.

However with a 38,572,416 travelers served in 2014, 8% is just over 3 million riders per year.
Sigh only 3,000,0000 a year ... or about the same as TTC 76 Royal York South.

Meanwhile the 504 King streetcar carries over 19,000,000 a year - almost half the passengers carried by Pearson. Can you imagine if it got the investment that the UPX got?

Sigh only 3,000,0000 a year ... or about the same as TTC 76 Royal York South.

Meanwhile the 504 King streetcar carries over 19,000,000 a year - almost half the passengers carried by Pearson. Can you imagine if it got the investment that the UPX got?

Yes, if TTC/Council actually had a clue what to do in the case of 504/501.

AoD

Interesting comment from Rocco Rossi during something called #ONTakesFlight (some sort of planning strategy seminar on Toronto Pearson's future).

https://twitter.com/roccorossiTO/status/595262852702851072

UPX is projected to carry 8% of air travelers at Pearson. Now some will say at what cost did we incur to serve only 8% of travelers. However with a 38,572,416 travelers served in 2014, 8% is just over 3 million riders per year.
Mathematically, if all trains were full for all day, it came to something over 7 million seats moved on the UPX, not necessarily all seats filled. Some parts of the day is very quiet, so 3 million people means an average of slightly under 50% UPX average utilization. Airports are surge prone, considering the arrivals of small and big jets at different times, so this sounds a reasonable guesstimate; there will be a full UPX train with standees during peak airport surges, with near empty trains at offpeak. So it averages out.

There is some capacity for expansion, such as an all-3-car fleet running 10 to 12 minute headways (providing well over 10 million seat-trips per day), but we really need the Georgetown corridor capacity for other (lower cost) transit services. But in theory, firing all cylinders (literally), we can gradually accomodate approximately 25 percent of airport travellers without needing standees, if we took the mathematics at face value. Reality will be different as peak periods will be very bottlenecked with occasionally full 3-car UPX trains with standees in aisle, when an A380 arrives at the same time as a 747. Conversely, the 5:30am UPX train heading to Union may be mostly empty as the first plane hasnt arrived yet, less disembarked all the way to baggage yet. So full efficient train utilization all day is just is not possible. However, 8 percent is certainly not the final frontier even with the current fleet. Maybe in one direction, but the 38 million Pearson travellers includes both arriving and departing, so Rossi may have been off by 2x.

Last edited:
Saw them testing the UPX on the Kitchener line near the Humber this morning, heading west at the same time a GO train headed east. I think this is a sign of notable completion of the trackwork, they have the confidence to test during rush hour.

Saw them testing the UPX on the Kitchener line near the Humber this morning, heading west at the same time a GO train headed east. I think this is a sign of notable completion of the trackwork, they have the confidence to test during rush hour.
Testing? They are into full running every 15-minutes aren't they from 6 AM to midnight?

Testing? They are into full running every 15-minutes aren't they from 6 AM to midnight?

They are running a more limited schedule - every 30 minutes - to test that all of the hardware for things like the automated routing and platform edge doors are working correctly. They should start running a full 15 minute schedule starting in the next week or two.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They are running a more limited schedule - every 30 minutes - to test that all of the hardware for things like the automated routing and platform edge doors are working correctly. They should start running a full 15 minute schedule starting in the next week or two.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
So UPX will launch to the public using a 15 minute schedule, I would hope?

So UPX will launch to the public using a 15 minute schedule, I would hope?
Yes, they announced this. Or re-announced it, as the 15-minute schedule has been announced many times since Jean Chretien was Prime Minister.

OpeningJune6EN.jpg

Attachments

• OpeningJune6EN.jpg
    OpeningJune6EN.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 887
Good. Such a temporary scaleback to current testing frequency would be silly, I do not think Georgetown corridor is THAT behind schedule.

Really, you should also be able to get full access to TTC/GO somehow too if you choose that option and pay for it. Similar to buying a national rail ticket for London while in Manchester and getting a Tfl travel card added to the cost. Perhaps even simply issuing a Presto card with the VIA ticket.

By fluke, I ended up at the Bloor station on Monday, considering I have being trying to make it there for the past few weeks.

The UPX trains weren't running on any set schedule Monday afternoon when I saw 3 eastbound trains within 10 minutes. Even the westbound were all over the place.

They were using all 3 track and the #2 track has been cut from track 1 at the West Toronto Grade Separations.

All but 2 trains were A-A with 1 3 car A-C-A and 1 A-C. The breaks were squealing like pigs for some reason when coming to a stop.

I found it very odd that the block signal went red once a eastbound train past it and turn green going the opposite direction when that train past the Bloor block on the same track. Never seen this before. At one time all 3 tracks were green going east or west.

I don't have much hope that the centre platform will be completed on opening day and the east platform will be mid summer or fall.

They were removing all the modules for the UPX platform enclosure for some reason and this will delay the project some what.

They were working on the access platform on the east platform as well a section of the platform. Once this is done, then the temporarily platform can be taken out of service with the use of the new platform so the rest of the GO platform can be built.

Most of the wood has been installed for the ceiling on the Centre platform with material being staple to it. The GO platform ceiling is in place with wiring taking place. Flashing stills needs to be finish.

First time I shot video with the new camera and like Nikon, prefer my Sony camera to the point the sound track maybe off based on You Tube notices.

A few horns sound odd at times when they enter the construction zone.

Sound barrier wall going up on the west side on both sides of Bloor St.

Not sure when I will have the photos on line, but here are the videos for what they are worth. Will have to re-shoot with the other camera this week.
[video]https://youtu.be/42gOFN_Okz8[/video]

https://youtu.be/qmqG5gvDP0Q
https://youtu.be/L77el06gOOU
https://youtu.be/g9nGyEBNllw
https://youtu.be/UeOzFW58Pqo

Back