Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Bring things back on topic, the corridor will see a number of milestone take place in Dec.

As it stands today and subject to change, Dec 1 will see the reopening of Old Weston Rd Grade Crossing after nearly 3 years of being close.

Mid Dec will see track 3 & 4 install in the 2nd tunnel for the West Toronto Grade Separation. This will allow UPX to use these tracks in 2015.

Dec 13 & 14 will see VIA using the Barrie Line as the Weston Sub will see the shifting of track 3 at the Weston Station to connect to track 3 in the Weston Grade Separation Tunnel. Tracks 3 & 4 will be brought up as close it can to the Weston Station, but will not connect to the plan tracks in the station until 2015. The tracks will be install in the station once the existing platform has been rebuilt. 75% of the platform is ready to have the snow melting system place while the rest is waiting the completion of the shelters bases.

Steel is up for the new Weston Station and waiting to be enclosed. The ramps from the new station to the various platforms are almost completed. Work is almost ready for the new bridge over Lawrence Ave.

Most of track 3 & 4 in the Weston Tunnel are in place using precast ties.

Until "ALL DAY Service" starts on the KW line, only 3 tracks will be in operation outside of blocks or various locations. No track 1 going into the Weston tunnel or at Etobicoke North for 2015 and most likely be 2020 before they are place.

The UPX Union Station track has been install.

A few 100 drivers have or will shortly will be piss off after finding out that their vehicles were tag and tow that were parked on Weston Rd Sunday. They were illegal park due to Santa Clause Parade with notices up on every pole and other places advising these drivers not to park there in the first place.

GO Transit had one of the new DD buses in the parade as well 8182 on display at the Weston Station for the Thank You Community Event. GO had one of their new enforcement car on display for a while with another colour scheme which looks good along being dress up for the parade.

As for the DD bus, first time in the new ones and have yet to ride any DD bus at all. A lot different from what I remember seeing in the first buses some years ago.

There are about 80 photos up for Weston and have yet to do Union.
15242450264_1f1949dc14_b.jpg

15242460974_6fced2ce32_b.jpg

15864748595_2645b211d0_b.jpg

15838929116_02b6995aee_b.jpg

15838940176_cab33ff7d4_b.jpg

15242497184_215dece4c3_b.jpg

15862781091_a37f89e0de_b.jpg

15864148802_268acb4c9b_b.jpg

15242522544_7d11e90fbe_b.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, the Eglinton line estimates include Phase 2 to the airport. Though you only have to see the ridership numbers, to see how small a portion that is.

Which is true in Vancouver as well. If you board downtown, most people get off before Richmond, and very few actually head to the airport. In the critical AM peak period (which tends to limit capacity on most lines), the number of trips starting at the airport is very small in both cities (for the 2031 AM peak estimate for the Eglinton line, I think it's actually 0).

One advantage for the airport as a trip generator, is that much of the traffic it generates is off-peak and counter-peak, thus not requiring an increase in capacity elsewhere on the line.

Indeed. The issue of serving the airport and having it be a relatively low peak ridership is going to be an issue for Ottawa as well when the Trillium Line is electrified and a spur is built to the airport. The spur is being considered right now.

Whenever you have a split in the line and one branch will have a substantially higher peak load than the other, it's always a balancing act to determine what the ratio should be of trains on each branch. Too even a split and you risk crowding on the higher used branch. Too slanted a split and you risk hurting the less used branch even further by having such low frequencies that it becomes incredibly inconvenient.

That said, the transit system really is pretty good. There's a few things we could learn from there, like the B-Line buses and a payment system that doesn't involve tokens.

The B-Line service does work very well for the amount of capital they put into it in order to set it up. It's a very inexpensive way of delivering higher order transit to an area as a "placeholder" for a permanent RT solution to be implemented. I've said for quite a while that for the Transit City lines that weren't on the priority list, that the TTC should be focusing on building B-Line-style BRT along these routes, because the demand is certainly there. Toronto may not get around to building LRT on these corridors for a decade or two, but that doesn't mean it should have to be the status quo until then.

Last edited:
They love to talk down Calgary here but Calgary has higher per-capita ridership than Vancouver but Vancouverites refuse to believe it. Considering it's size, Calgary has the best transit system in the country and is very forward thinking in terms of setting aside land for future transit expansion.

Personally, I think Ottawa actually has the best in Canada, considering it's size. The two cities are roughly equal in population, and while C-Train does have a higher ridership,than the Transitway bus routes (90 series), OC Transpo as a system as the Calgary Transit beat, both in passengers per day/year and in modal share.

Reminds me of Ayan from Vancouver, who came to troll the Toronto Parks thread and scoff at Toronto. Eventually he got banned. This hatred of Toronto is hard to comprehend. It's not just coming from Vancouver, but the whole country. I really don't get it. How come Americans don't hate NYC?

A large portion of the population does hate NYC and/or LA.

NYC was treated much differently pre 9/11, but the whipping boy in the United States is Los Angeles, and sometimes Detroit.

Are those pics only of the UPX and not the GO Kitchener line?

It's the UPX. If I'm not mistaken, the GO trains will share the same platform but will stop on the south end while UPX will stop on the north end. It's gonna be one hell of a long platform!

It is both since Weston GO is a station for both.
Here UPX
15679015027_0438094ece_b.jpg

From UPX back onto the GO Platform. UPX platform will be the closes to the main entrance for the station. Weston UPX is at the north end while Bloor is at the South end. As a GO rider, you will have a longer walking distance now compare to what was there before.
15838961256_d4e326ae6b_b.jpg

So $29. I always suspected that it would be closer to $30 than $20. I wonder if there will be a discount for return passengers?

When I read the article and that $29 popped out, I instantly thought "where'd that come from?" ....there is absolutely no effort made to even support that figure or attribute the number to some research or tip or anything. I have long believed the number would be in the $22 - $25 range but we won't have to wait very much longer now will we.

Back