Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Would they use a Tunnel Boring Machine to get through the concrete or would it be dirt and rock a certain distance east or west of the existing tunnel?

Would they use a Tunnel Boring Machine to get through the concrete or would it be dirt and rock a certain distance east or west of the existing tunnel?

The TBM's cut through the concrete station walls for all the stations .up to Allen Road. Then do it again up to Yonge Street, where they meet the TBM's coming westward.

The TBM's cut through the concrete station walls for all the stations .up to Allen Road. Then do it again up to Yonge Street, where they meet the TBM's coming westward.

Um, I think we're getting wires crossed here? This is in reference to the Crosstown, whereas we are talking about the GO trains on the Weston sub?

I'm not sure whether the cost involved with a TBM would be justified for one track. I think there would be some cut-and-cover instead, and restricting of lanes on the 401. It's a bad idea given the traffic situation without restrictions, but it might be the best bad idea we got. The GTS team told me it's just a difficult engineering situation they are still trying to figure out. This stretch of the 401 was built in 1956, and the pilings used to make it are apparently messed up.

Um, I think we're getting wires crossed here? This is in reference to the Crosstown, whereas we are talking about the GO trains on the Weston sub?

I'm not sure whether the cost involved with a TBM would be justified for one track. I think there would be some cut-and-cover instead, and restricting of lanes on the 401. It's a bad idea given the traffic situation without restrictions, but it might be the best bad idea we got. The GTS team told me it's just a difficult engineering situation they are still trying to figure out. This stretch of the 401 was built in 1956, and the pilings used to make it are apparently messed up.

They wouldn't use a TBM for such as short distance, and attempting to use cut-and-cover would be insane considering the conditions on the highway above.

A far more likely solution would be something like pipe/pile jacking, which can largely be done while keeping the highway above open.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That signal bridge looks pretty high and close to the end of the tunnel, I imagine the sightlines are adequate though, it would be a huge screwup is they weren't.

Having operated through there I can tell you there's(thankfully) no issues with that signal mast. It does look like there might be from that perspective, but really its just the zoom that makes it appear closer than it really is to the tunnel. Plus there is a lot of clearance in tunnel height-wise.

crs1026952709 said:
I'm also told that the station trackage at Pearson has a subway-style 'X' crossover configuration rather than the more railway style '\ /' crossovers.

The X type crossover were used because of a lack of space and really there is no need for the traditional \ / crossovers, which can support crossing over at higher speeds (ie limited speed) since trains will not be operating at 45mph on the viaduct and by the station.

I'm not sure whether the cost involved with a TBM would be justified for one track.

Having overseen some of the design work on the TBMs for the Eglinton Crosstown, I can assure you that you would not use one here. Much more complex machine than is needed, and far too expensive. Those were $16M each.

Having overseen some of the design work on the TBMs for the Eglinton Crosstown, I can assure you that you would not use one here. Much more complex machine than is needed, and far too expensive. Those were $16M each.

Good to know and thanks for all the responses.

Sorry, one more question. When the GTS is done next year and more GO train service on the Kitchener Line is possible, will there be some trains starting from Union in the morning rush hour and travelling West? I understand that the schedule has not been released. I've read before the project increase in trains, I just can't recall if any of them will be outbound/inbound during rush hour.

Came across this article and I wanted to share just how pitiful some residents of Vancouver can be.

SKYTRAIN CANADA LINE RECORDS 200-MILLIONTH PASSENGER

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/11/skytrain-canada-line-records-200-millionth-passenger/

It's great news for Vancouver if the Canada Line is exceeding expectations.

I wish the article stuck to that topic.

Throwing in the comment "making Toronto jealous" is out of place. And the criticism of UPX at the end just seems like a slap at Toronto -- the line isn't even open, the fares are not even decided, and the actual ridership has yet to be realized.

Residents of Vancouver are drowning in hatred of Toronto. Just go there--they love to tell you how much they hate us. It's pitiful. The thing is, they don't seem to realize here in Toronto we don't even talk about them.

Residents of Vancouver are drowning in hatred of Toronto. Just go there--they love to tell you how much they hate us. It's pitiful. The thing is, they don't seem to realize here in Toronto we don't even talk about them.
It is rather bizarre. Though 200 million a year isn't to be sniffed at - not as high as Line 1, but quite impressive given the limited technology they used. The Eglinton line only forecasts 50 million a year, with significantly more capacity than the Canada Line has.

It is rather bizarre. Though 200 million a year isn't to be sniffed at - not as high as Line 1, but quite impressive given the limited technology they used. The Eglinton line only forecasts 50 million a year, with significantly more capacity than the Canada Line has.

did i read the wrong article? it seems it is 200 million in 5 1/3 years.

did i read the wrong article? it seems it is 200 million in 5 1/3 years.
Oh ... hmm, 200 million would be about 650,000 a day ...and apparently their daily ridership is about 135,000 a day on Wikipedia. So 200 million all-time makes more sense. Hmm, not as impressive - a bit more than double their 99 B-line bus.

And only 135,000 a day compared to the estimated 170,000 a day on the Eglinton line - which doesn't even go downtown! Not impressive at all.

Oh ... hmm, 200 million would be about 650,000 a day ...and apparently their daily ridership is about 135,000 a day on Wikipedia. So 200 million all-time makes more sense. Hmm, not as impressive - a bit more than double their 99 B-line bus.

And only 135,000 a day compared to the estimated 170,000 a day on the Eglinton line - which doesn't even go downtown! Not impressive at all.

I wasn't guessing....the opening paragraph says:

Not long after reaching its fifth year anniversary this past August, SkyTrain’s Canada Line recorded its 200-millionth passenger sometime sometime on Sunday, November 16.

I wasn't guessing....the opening paragraph says:
Yes, it's clear. I looked at it quickly and assumed that on an annual basis simply because otherwise would be well less than 50 million a year would be embarrassingly small for what is essentially a subway line into downtown. But once reading it properly, it's clear that ridership really is that low - only about 40 million a year. Toronto's streetcars alone carry close to 90 million a year!

Nor, initially, connect to the airport.
To be fair, the Eglinton line estimates include Phase 2 to the airport. Though you only have to see the ridership numbers, to see how small a portion that is.

Which is true in Vancouver as well. If you board downtown, most people get off before Richmond, and very few actually head to the airport. In the critical AM peak period (which tends to limit capacity on most lines), the number of trips starting at the airport is very small in both cities (for the 2031 AM peak estimate for the Eglinton line, I think it's actually 0).

One advantage for the airport as a trip generator, is that much of the traffic it generates is off-peak and counter-peak, thus not requiring an increase in capacity elsewhere on the line.

Back