Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

A public transit (read regular) link to the airport and a private express link are NOT mutually exclusive. Why do people continue to act like the UPX is being built at the expense of some other transit link.

It sort of is being built at the expense of 'some other transit link' as no other transit link is currently being built.

We're flogging a dead horse, here, people.

But all the capital has been spent on a "private" express link. That's what the powers that be wanted. The Eglinton LRT extension funding was deferred (read: cancelled) while UPX (with its suspect business case) goes ahead. There is no money for a regular transit rail link.

Why is an express train is both classified as private and with a suspect busienss case? (1) it is owned by the province and will be run by the province (albeit initially it would have not been) and (2) it MAY break even on an operating expense basis according to the business case.

It was inplied by the contrasting statement that Eglinton has a NOT suspect business case. The LRT was never expected to run on a break-even basis so it actually has a worse off business case than the UPX (both business cases has assumptions built into it). And both the UPX and LRT will be equally publically owned.

The UPX has a simple purpose. The Financial Service sector is mostly within a 10 minute walk of Union. It employes directly 230,000 people and indirectly (accountants, lawyers, etc) anouther 98,000. This doesn't inlcude the purely hypothetical indirect jobs such as the service industry (which many other industries do include when determining indirect jobs). The Financial sector is a high paying job engine for Canada and has helped transform this city (the hub was in Montreal until the 70's). The Financial sector has a lot of mulitnational companies (both Canadian and branch offices in Toronto). It needs highly predictable travel around the world.

This is the target of the UPX. It will make travel less stressful and a bit quicker. The executives are use to Heathrow and Hong Kong and use the train there and want one here. They dread LGA and the craziness that can happen trying to rush to a meeting in mid-town. We are competing for their time (which will help drive job growth) and we need to make sure Toronto is easy to get in and out of (and for them Toronto is only the financial district plus maybe a taxi ride to Buca or Jacobs).

So yes, it is priced to be exclusive. But is is public (anyone that pays can use it).

It sort of is being built at the expense of 'some other transit link' as no other transit link is currently being built.

Which project is a: not being built today because of funds being directed to the UPX and b: We won't be able to build in the future due to the UPX system taking up track and station space?

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but is there room to add more tracks if SmartTrack decides to follow the UPX corridor (at least up to Weston Station if there is no way it can go to the Airport)?

Perhaps SmartTrack can end at Weston Station instead - I think that neighborhood can stand to benefit from SmartTrack more than a trip to the Airport. If so, then UPX only needs to stop at Mt. Dennis for the LRT and Bloor before it arrives at Union. SmartTrack can do more local service.

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but is there room to add more tracks if SmartTrack decides to follow the UPX corridor (at least up to Weston Station if there is no way it can go to the Airport)?

By and large, no. There are a couple of locations where additional tracks could be shoehorned in, but south-east of West Toronto the entirety of the rail corridor will be filled up with track.

That said, if SmarTrack was only run at 15 minute frequencies there wouldn't necessarily be a need to add more tracks to what will be there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Which project is a: not being built today because of funds being directed to the UPX and b: We won't be able to build in the future due to the UPX system taking up track and station space?

I completely understand that having UPX does not preclude future transit projects on the corridor. Nor am I against UPX at all. I think it's a great idea.

What I'm saying is that, theoretically, you could make the argument that any funds that could potentially have been used towards a public transit link to the airport were instead tied up building the UPX express shuttle system. I realize that you could say this about any other project that is currently in progress, but that's part of the point. There is only a finite pool of funding for all projects that is available after all. Projects like Eglinton Crosstown Phase 2 exist as Phase 2 because of budgetary reasons, after all. If funding was not an issue, there would be no phases at all and just one single build-out of the line.

Last edited:
It's not just that UPX does not preclude future transit projects on the corridor; at 15-minute spacing, it doesn't even preclude future transit projects on the very same tracks. As the UPX tracks can also carry other services, future transit projects can be added at significantly less cost than UPX was. Of course, anything in the future will come with other strings attached, or more specifically overhead wires, so those will cost something.

Eight tracks or bust!

15784767115_246048e7f4_c.jpg

15165332073_ef58bf6a53_c.jpg

One of those tracks is for the Newmarket Sub to Barrie. The current junction between the Barrie and Brampton lines at Parkdale will be withdrawn from service before long.

A reliable source confirmed to me that the new junction at "Woodbine" (I have also been told that it may be named Wice instead) where the Pearson spur leaves the Weston Sub will go into service (partly, anyways) this weekend. The new build appears to be three tracks from Strachan to that point, and two tracks from there to Bramalea. For now, the third track west from Woodbine/Wice to the next new Interlocking ("Airway") is apparently a service track for freight trains, rather than a main line track.

Three tracks gives UPX dedicated service in one direction, and GO dedicated service in one direction. If GO becomes bidirectional, it will be necessary for GO and UPX trains to intermingle in the other direction. It's feasible, but even with all the shorter blocks, it will be interesting to see if the heavier GO trains, making more stops and likely not running to the minute, can coexist with the UPX trains running on 15 minute headways. Or, UPX could have dedicated use of two tracks and GO could run on a headway that puts all meets west of Woodbine/Wice. It will be interesting to see how VIA is handled as well.

I'm also told that the station trackage at Pearson has a subway-style 'X' crossover configuration rather than the more railway style '\ /' crossovers.

- Paul

One of those tracks is for the Newmarket Sub to Barrie. The current junction between the Barrie and Brampton lines at Parkdale will be withdrawn from service before long.

A reliable source confirmed to me that the new junction at "Woodbine" (I have also been told that it may be named Wice instead) where the Pearson spur leaves the Weston Sub will go into service (partly, anyways) this weekend. The new build appears to be three tracks from Strachan to that point, and two tracks from there to Bramalea. For now, the third track west from Woodbine/Wice to the next new Interlocking ("Airway") is apparently a service track for freight trains, rather than a main line track.

Three tracks gives UPX dedicated service in one direction, and GO dedicated service in one direction. If GO becomes bidirectional, it will be necessary for GO and UPX trains to intermingle in the other direction. It's feasible, but even with all the shorter blocks, it will be interesting to see if the heavier GO trains, making more stops and likely not running to the minute, can coexist with the UPX trains running on 15 minute headways. Or, UPX could have dedicated use of two tracks and GO could run on a headway that puts all meets west of Woodbine/Wice. It will be interesting to see how VIA is handled as well.

I'm also told that the station trackage at Pearson has a subway-style 'X' crossover configuration rather than the more railway style '\ /' crossovers.

- Paul

I realize there is one for Barrie, but even with that included I thought it would only be 5 tracks. 1 for Kitchener, 2 for UPX, 1 for Milton, and 1 for Barrie. 5 total.

The crossover at Pearson is indeed an "x" crossover, you can see it in the newest satellite imagery.

3 tracks is good for UPX dedicated service with 1 track given to Kitcheners single direction service, correct? The plan is to add another track when Kitchener upgrades to a full bidirectional service. Its the whole reason the Strachan underpass was constructed for 8 tracks, 2 tracks for each of the 4 GO train services. VIA would probably just run in between GO train service on the Kitchener corridor that point. Also why I am surprised why there is a 6th track at Strachan, I thought it would only be 5 to provide the still single direction service that is expected after construction is complete.

Last edited:
Some photos from Oct 29/30 out of about 200 I shot
Roger Rd
15606312699_869b27fa3e_b.jpg

15768458676_6286b48477_b.jpg

15790255761_8056d54cef_b.jpg

15606977997_724e1c15ec_b.jpg

Dennison Rd
15792144395_ac18ffeda7_b.jpg

15606329599_c3fe98fd8d_b.jpg

Weston Station
15606339099_2efa897cb3_b.jpg

Weston Station
15172209584_528636afa9_b.jpg

15790290851_50093ff027_b.jpg

15172216584_f7f323b67b_b.jpg

Etobicoke North Station
15768501306_3773ee26a3_b.jpg

15790304511_b0e670747d_b.jpg

15606363509_02c325d433_b.jpg

15768518886_fb9f2ca99d_b.jpg

Islington/401
15604570837_3c3a0be2f1_b.jpg

15170296893_79ee226f05_b.jpg

15604327928_b24cb35616_b.jpg

Carlingview Dr
15766101106_86304738df_b.jpg

15604933820_d9e0ee1d1c_b.jpg

Brampton
15603814349_2ff3a8d1fb_b.jpg

15787764231_4d97b6688b_b.jpg

15787790261_e10d6d07e9_b.jpg

15787791051_cf0e6362df_b.jpg

15765994146_fc1db8eb77_b.jpg

I would love to see 3 trains going under the 401 at the same time. Seems like this is where they should have spent a little more.

I'm hearing rumours that they may start work on putting a fourth track underneath the 401 - via a new "bore" under the highway - as soon as late next year. I've yet to see anything official however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back