Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

That's a bit of an over-the-top response to somebody just making a suggestion, backed up by some reason. No need to be so harsh. The idea is worth considering, more people should weigh in.

This thread is about the whole corridor and about the Union Pearson Express.....there is nothing in the title that states or implies that the topic is limited to discussion about construction or the posting of photo updates. The entire gamut of topics that are covered by this corridor are included. That would include the GTS project, what level of service that should produce on the GO services that use this corridor, the UPe construction and the operations of the UPe (which, invariably, include the costs - real or imagined - of using that service).

I am one who often enjoys and is enlightened by the contributions of Drum....but as it is currently constituted, I have to think that this forum is exactly the right place to have a discussion about UPe pricing.

This thread is about the whole corridor and about the Union Pearson Express.....there is nothing in the title that states or implies that the topic is limited to discussion about construction or the posting of photo updates. The entire gamut of topics that are covered by this corridor are included. That would include the GTS project, what level of service that should produce on the GO services that use this corridor, the UPe construction and the operations of the UPe (which, invariably, include the costs - real or imagined - of using that service).

I am one who often enjoys and is enlightened by the contributions of Drum....but as it is currently constituted, I have to think that this forum is exactly the right place to have a discussion about UPe pricing.
I see no reason why discussions about the pricing, train colours, or on-board cappuccino machines couldn't be part of a UP Operations thread instead.

I see no reason why discussions about the pricing, train colours, or on-board cappuccino machines couldn't be part of a UP Operations thread instead.

It certainly could....but then I would expect that this particular thread would dissipate into many threads......UPe construction....UPe Operation....GTS project....

Considering how much of a mess the three Union station threads have been in terms of mis-filed photos and discussion that might naturally belong in one instead cropping up in another, I can't see any real benefit from breaking this one up. It would be one thing if the thread was growing by 30 pages a day and people weren't able to keep up. Rolling stock, construction photos, cappuccino machines, fares and so on are fine in one thread.

Nobody was complaining about the composition of discussion in this thread until today. Let's just keep going.

I could go either way though I am a bit more inclined to keep things as they are. It's a lot of work for the mods (who often get little thanks for all the unpaid UT work to keep this going) to separate the posts properly and cleanly. Sometimes posts belong in both the original and the new thread as they are relevant to both. There's over 4000 posts to go through.

I agree. Also, operations are so closely tied to the physical infrastructure that the natural flow of discussion involves moving back and forth. A photo of a station under construction will inevitably move to discussion about how that station will be used.

I hope Drum reconsiders and starts posting photo updates again.

Nobody was complaining about the composition of discussion in this thread until today. Let's just keep going.

I made a comment about how tired I was of it, it all seemed circular, but whatever. At least it's out in the open now. I am also eager to get back to discussion about the actual capital infrastructure, not saying fares are not to be discussed, just my preference.

I walked across the corridor at Church on Friday, looks like they poured the last roof section of the tunnel. I think there are other small wall sections here and there that have rebar and are awiting concrete, but otherwise, it looks like most of the concrete work in Weston is done! Any timelines on getting track in there?

We are just over 6 months from total project completion, its nice to finally see so many GTA infrastructure projects finally nearing completion.

We are just over 6 months from total project completion, its nice to finally see so many GTA infrastructure projects finally nearing completion.

half of them are happening because of the Pam Am games, I suppose.
Now I really want the Olympic Games, as without such pressing need to avoid losing face in front of the world, our politicians simply choose the easiest way - do nothing.

half of them are happening because of the Pam Am games, I suppose.
Now I really want the Olympic Games, as without such pressing need to avoid losing face in front of the world, our politicians simply choose the easiest way - do nothing.

IIRC, the last potential summer Olympic bid (2024) was dropped because of a general feeling that we should see how Pan-Am goes, and then go from there. Rob Ford suggested at 2028 bid may be more realistic, it's one of the few rationale things I've heard him say.

I agree, the Pan-Am will be a good test run on the city's services, the GTS included. Maybe we could finally get the revenue tools for transit implemented by then, get a committed schedule for implementing other Big Move projects, and then submit that 2028 bid. But that's all for another thread.

Yeah it feels like we're at the start of a series of improvements/openings finishing over the next few years. 2nd Platform Union & new streetcar launch were both exciting.

As a Vancouverite I can attest that the Olympics are an obscene waster of money and even more so the summer games.

The reality is that the tickets are always so expensive that only the chosen few can really take advantage of the sport. The city turns into an armed camp and those so called long term benefits never materialize. Despite Campbell's claims of all the tourists who will flock to the city after wards, tourism is down from before the games and convention bookings in Vancouver are now down to 1999 levels. It left the city with a huge debt and a few big skating rinks and that's about it. Of course the poor were kicked out of their accommodation thru "renovictions" and their rents went thru the roof.

The Olympics are a huge money maker for real estate developers which is why they always push the games........the taxpayers pay for the upgrades to infrastructure and the real estate companies buy all the land around them, built houses, and then sell them at ridiculous prices. This is why politicians love them, the developers who benefit from the games make sure that that the politicians who pushed them are well compensated.

Any way back to UPX........
I can understand where the concerns are about the thread but the reality is that construction on the line is winding down. This is why the fares have started to become an issue in the main stream media and the travelling public.

Now that the line is within sight the conversation is naturally turning from construction to who exactly is going to be able to use this line? The conversation has moved from construction jobs to the public asking "what exactly is in this for me seeing I paid for it?"

Thank You Celebrations

Please join us as we thank you for your patience and understanding and showcase the completed work in your neighbourhood.

Denison Road Underpass
1631 Weston Rd.
Saturday, September 20 from 12 noon to 2:00 p.m.

Strachan Avenue Overpass
Massey Harris Park, 945 King St. W.
Saturday, September 27 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.

West Toronto Diamond
Railpath entrance on Cariboo Ave.
Saturday, October 4 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.

Weston Tunnel
GO Station Parking Lot, 1865 Weston Rd.
Sunday, November 23 from 12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m.

You now can return to your fare talking.

Last edited:
You now can return to your fare talking.

Drum, I'm assuming you grabbed this from the latest GTS email, but you missed the meat of it!

A summary for everyone:

* Temporary Strachan overpass is gone, full opening of the new permanent bridge should occur soon.
* UP platforms at Bloor station under construction, overnight track work in the area mid-October
* West Toronto Diamond - west tunnel excavation to be complete early fall, concrete panels and waterproofing in east tunnel to be complete at the end of October
* Lane restrictions on Eglinton expected to be removed this month
* Denison Road pedestian underpass should be open shortly, road to open late this year
* Track installation in the Weston Tunnel until late November
* The Weston Road underpass and Humber bridge should be complete in November
* Service at Etobicoke North GO will be shifted to the north in late September, and the south platform will be demolished after
* The north freight service track and three industrial spurs are complete between Islington Avenue and Highway 27
* Lane restrictions at Weston Rd. and Black Creek Dr. should be removed shortly
* Balast mats are scheduled to be laid between Queen Street West and Dupont Street mid-September
* Foundations for noise walls at Nickle St. in Mount Dennis will begin late September

Back