Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

A lot of their projects are funded because of political commitments. Until they are given control of revenue tools, another political decision, it will remain that way. They are inevitably able of detonating political bombs at this time.

It is a long standing project that is fully funded and, in fact, is very close to completion.

Besides, look at it this way: if I worked for Metrolinx, I wouldn't want a project I'm working on to be turned into some political hoopla just because its an election. Scheduled public meetings like this would be easy targets for the politically motivated.

They were update meetings.....regularly scheduled at that.....meant to update interested parties and locals where they were on the project and what could be expected in the upcoming months. What sort of political hoopla could come out of a meeting like that? I think there is more political hay to be made (if you are inclined to do so) out of the fact that the first of the meetings was cancelled via email less than 5 hours before it was scheduled to take place.....and that the reason is that "communications from the Ontario government will be quieter"....that sounds like something an opponent could grab onto!

I also beleive they don't want politically fuelled public meetings to make them seem like they are supporting a certain government. I.E. holding a Sheppard LRT meeting and explaining why the sheppard subway doesn't make sense, it would be too political. public communication is minimized to try not to interfere with the election.

No business traveller has a problem with the price of a taxi. Highway congestion is the problem with the taxi. A tolled taxi-only lane on the highways would also be perfectly acceptable.

bad traffic only occurs during certain and limited number of hours. For most of the day, traffic is hardly bad enough for passengers to avoid taxis.

Currently at 6:30 pm, it takes 37 minutes to drive from YYZ to downtown (same the other way). It is hardly not that bad compared with the 25 minutes on UPS (which doesn't even take one to the final destination). Plus, you don't get into the train and leave. You need to wait for its scheduled departure, which adds at least a few extra minutes.

Last edited:
I also beleive they don't want politically fuelled public meetings to make them seem like they are supporting a certain government. I.E. holding a Sheppard LRT meeting and explaining why the sheppard subway doesn't make sense, it would be too political. public communication is minimized to try not to interfere with the election.

I could see not having a meeting on something like the Sheppard LRT as it is an unfunded/unplanned project and, yes, favouring one option/mode over another is fraught with political danger.

That said, I do not see the analogy between that and a pre-scheduled regular progress update project that has been ongoing for, what, 5 years and is within a year or so of completion and, as we speak, is reaching some pretty important milestones. It's not like there are decisions to be made on this project....but, it seems, I may be the only one seeing as cancelling this meeting having more political implications than going ahead with it.

bad traffic only occurs during certain and limited number of hours. For most of the day, traffic is hardly bad enough for passengers to avoid taxis.

Currently at 6:30 pm, it takes 37 minutes to drive from YYZ to downtown (same the other way). It is hardly not that bad compared with the 25 minutes on UPS (which doesn't even take one to the final destination). Plus, you don't get into the train and leave. You need to wait for its scheduled departure, which adds at least a few extra minutes.

As someone who (very) regularly leaves the downtown around 6:30 pm I can tell you that around 37 minutes is the sort of "norm" time to get to the 401/427 area so probably a few more minutes to get into the terminal....that said....I don't have to think too hard to think of times when that drive has taken substantially more (an hour is not "unusual")...yes there are some times when it is a bit less (30 minutes is a good time) but that is sort of the point....the unpredictability of it will work in favour (for some folks) of the train.

As someone who (very) regularly leaves the downtown around 6:30 pm I can tell you that around 37 minutes is the sort of "norm" time to get to the 401/427 area so probably a few more minutes to get into the terminal....that said....I don't have to think too hard to think of times when that drive has taken substantially more (an hour is not "unusual")...yes there are some times when it is a bit less (30 minutes is a good time) but that is sort of the point....the unpredictability of it will work in favour (for some folks) of the train.
How are travel times at 6:30 with the Gardiner construction?

It's a shame they didn't start that construction after the Union-Pearson line opened.

Ever looked at Pearson's flight schedules? They're pretty strongly correlated with a workday with AM peaks (7am to 9am) and PM peaks (5pm to 8pm).

Most airport business users who are making a day trip to Toronto arrive in the morning rush and leave in evening rush. Highway congestion is limited for most of the day; but the heaviest airport users are arriving/departing at exactly the worst times for congestion.

More specifically, a very small number of senior execs with very limited time (and often private aircraft) tend not to stay overnight but have immense decision making authority. Congestion for this very small number of airport users can have a very large opportunity cost. Since helicopter service from Pearson to downtown office buildings is not available, we're building what should be a highly reliable/predictable train instead. Yes, deals do leave the city due to congestion; I've seen it myself in 2001 and Toronto Board of Trade corroborates saying we still make a bad first impression for many executives.

Last edited:
How are travel times at 6:30 with the Gardiner construction?

It's a shame they didn't start that construction after the Union-Pearson line opened.

Honestly....most nights my drive home has been shorter since the lane closures (5-10 minutes).....I think it is a function of where I get on (Spadina)....the merge has been made easier/smoother because of the lane re-alignments. The problems is nights like tonight....one disabled vehicle just east of Jamison and the whole thing falls apart.

Metrolinx has cancel all public meeting schedule for this month as well June until after the election is over for the corridor. Metrolinx is concern as who will win on June 12, as it could the next step to scrap it if the right party doesn't win.

Strachan Ave new Overpass could be partly open by the end of the month and if so, the last of the grade crossing will be history. They are about to pour the east sidewalk on both side of the bridge this week. Once done, back filling will take place for most of the new ramp for the bridge with paving to follow.

After the current traffic is relocated, the west sidewalk can be built.

4th track is in place for the north tunnel and only 3 will be place in the 2nd one with provision for the 4th at a later date.

Time to put the talk of stations south of Bloor to bed as there is no place to build one at King St or south. You can only built a 3 car platform on the west side starting at the north end of the bridge. Have the photos to show this and up on site.

Queen St can have a full platform for both the Barrie and Milton line only on both side of the corridor, but kills the Railpath on the east side if a station went in there. An operation nightmare if you want all lines to use those platform that it is not worth doing it.

Metrolinx has cancel all public meeting schedule for this month as well June until after the election is over for the corridor. Metrolinx is concern as who will win on June 12, as it could the next step to scrap it if the right party doesn't win.

Scrap what? The meetings were not about the UPE they were about the GTS....how could that get scrapped?

Scrap what? The meetings were not about the UPE they were about the GTS....how could that get scrapped?

Oh...didn't catch that.....but, going back to my earlier point...this is ML politicizing the meetings....meetings that had no political purpose/meaning now have people like us discussing the cancellation of the meetings in a very political context.

Kinda akin to kindergarten teachers not teaching their students (i.e. suspending their own duties) because one party might eliminate their jobs if elected.

Currently traffic congestion on the 427 begins at roughly 7 am and last until roughly 10 am then picks up again around 4 pm and lasts until 7 pm. Considering that Pearson has a curfew from 12 am to 6 am (or was it 11 to 5), there is congestion during 6 hours of the airport's 18 hour operating day, or one third.

Aside from the fact the RFP for this rail line was issued in 2001 and the PanAms were awarded to Toronto in 2009 (The province took over this project from SNC Lavalin in 2008 and had their EA completed months before Toronto was even awarded the games).....why would Pan Am visitors care more about a train than you or the other visitors you mention?

Well, that's easy. Our Pan Am bid team was announced in September 2008, and in November the province announced the UPX as part of their big move plan and that the EA process for the UPX would be cut from 3 years to 6 months. Conveniently that made the EA get the green light right before selecting the Pan Am bid winner. Also, the head of our bid committee was former Liberal Premiere David Peterson, and the current Premiere was Liberal McGuinty, so it's not hard to imagine them working in concert for the bits and pieces of the Big move that would help our bid. And it's not that the Pan Am visitors care more about this line - technically, it was never about them - it was about impressing the selection committee and winning the bid.

Of note, since the RFP was submitted in 2001, that means Mike Harris was behind it. That man's reputation on transit just keeps getting better. He killed the Eglinton subway and gave the green light to the Sheppard subway and started the UPX mess.

Back