Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

I think that the slab massing with rectangular floorplates provides more window exposure than a square floorplate.

Still though, as hinted in my narrative, a tree or limb falling 298m to the ground is going to cause more an issue than one only 6m off the ground. Something to do with kinetics, gravity and that nine-point-eight-meters-per-second-squared thing. Making it for more a spectacular landing and very bad day for anyone underneath it. >.<
As well as patio furniture!

I think that the slab massing with rectangular floorplates provides more window exposure than a square floorplate.

As well as patio furniture!
Yeah...some Karen lobbing a chair over the railings for the YouTube clicks can almost be as fatal as a falling branch from that height. /sigh

I personally like this project. Im not one of those people who thinks in order for a building to be nice it must be "slim, sexy, skinny, etc". I personally like it when a skyscraper has some girth. It's more commanding and makes a bigger impact on the skyline. Don't get me wrong, I do like a slim tower as well, but we need some thickness thrown into the mix sometimes too. We don't have a single tower in TO like this one, so I'm all for it.

So this is now public:
Mike Mercatus

Got it. Okay. That's okay. Thank you. Maybe just refresh our memory, team, I thought you owned the air rights for Union Center and I just noticed the $50 million transaction referencing the air rights at Union Center. Could you maybe elaborate on what the difference is about?

Michael Emory

Sure. That is roughly 5.2 acres immediately to the south of the Union Center site above the rail lands where we closed the acquisition of their rights, I believe in the fourth quarter. So it is literally 5.2 acres of land that really runs directly south of the Union Center site, I guess with the boundary on the east being North [Indiscernible] and the boundary on the West being Simco. And it basically goes to the far side of the rail lands and that is a very, very good incremental asset for us at union center and will, in time, augment our ability to create value on that larger site.

Mike Mercatus

Okay, that's great. Would that be followed by a resubmission of the proposal for Union Center as it currently stands?

Michael Emory

Fortunately, it isn't necessary. We just got approval for what I would call Union Center 3.0, which we're very happy with. I think it's now at about 1.33 million square feet. We will clearly build it and construct on the remainder of the existing site in a way that allows us to utilize the air rights most efficiently. But we don't have to change how we're going to use the portion of the site that Union Center 3.0 is on

Toronto Model 02-02-22 Union Centre.png

...also, they seem to be using the Webster version of "Centre" in that exchange. Is that the result of whatever method they're using to transcribe the conversion is in some sort of auto-correct mode? Or they actually planning to rebrand the name as "Union Center"?

So does this conversation have any relevance for construction to begin in the near future...or is it some fantasy plan 10+ years down the road?

Inclusive of Skywalk, this will get you ~5 acres (Trainshed to Simcoe, Skywalk to the southern extent of the USRC)

1643900119215.png

FWIW, as '42' noted above; unless PE sees fit to correct, I don't see anything on this block (over the rail corridor) in the next several years.

I think Allied has a few buildings in front of it in the queue.

Last edited:
Inclusive of Skywalk, this will get you ~5 acres (Trainshed to Simcoe, sky walk to the southern extend of the USRC)

FWIW, as '42' noted above; unless PE sees fit to correct, I don't see anything on this block (over the rail corridor) in the next several years.

I think Allied has a few buildings in front of it in the queue.
Correct. This is at least a decade away.

Back