Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

The lighting on this building is going to be kind of insane given how much it will dominate the skyline. I wonder if other buildings will try to outdo them, and then we have Blade Runner...

Dont think the City will approve this as it exists in its current state. I think it will be heavily revised.

one thing everyone should put in mind that we are talking about Allied and Westbank both are a blessing to Canada when it comes to quality. one thing you shouldn't worry about is quality.
Let's just see if the building is actually approved with that lighting feature and even then, hopefully it doesn't start falling apart like Aura's.

Dont think the City will approve this as it exists in its current state. I think it will be heavily revised.

Don't worry about city approval yet. BIG will make changes preemptively. Westbank has already said that there will be adjustments made. This is the very first design they've put out. It represents the concept and direction but it's by no means final. Note how KING underwent substantial changes while maintaining the same concept. I liked the original a lot but I think where they ended up is in fact better in the real world, outside of a rendering model.

I doubt they're going to sacrifice the large floor plates so the tower will probably end up as wide as it looks here. Maybe larger setbacks to break up the flat glass wall appearance can soften that.

The article states "A planned 264 metres tall, taller than Scotia Plaza". Yet Scotia Plaza is 275 meters. Just a simple error?

I'm all for the beefy slab vibe it has. More curious about how the cladding will look and how they are going to manage whatever species of tree actually makes the cut.

Note that this isn’t the first BIG tower with trees at high altitudes. 88 Market Street in Singapore is over 900ft and has trees both at the top and at a mid section open air garden, at around 300ft.

This tower is under construction right now and the trees remain an important part of the design and will in fact be there. So BIG knows what they’re doing. Union Centre will have trees on its roof.

I don't really care if the end product has trees or not. I want to see how this building looks naked so that I could lay proper judgement onto it.

Their presence in the renderings is just a distraction.

Back