Toronto U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre (Phase 1) | 64.8m | 13s | U of T | Weiss/Manfredi

I am always skeptical about the "glowingness" and "special colourness" you see in renderings (not to mention the already discussed "deciduous tree survivingness". Will it really just be some form a glass cladding?

I am always skeptical about the "glowingness" and "special colourness" you see in renderings (not to mention the already discussed "deciduous tree survivingness". Will it really just be some form a glass cladding?

Are you really Shi**ing on someone for giving up 100 million dollars of their own money??? hahaha in exchange for a NAME! Just take the money and say thank you.
Well I wouldn't phrase it quite like that.
I mean I think it's great that they want to give money, but how many buildings or parts of buildings does one need with their name on it? What does it say about an institution or a society when we name our buildings simply for whomever gives the most money towards them?

Just once, I'd like to see a benefactor acknowledge the people that led to their immense wealth. Like, wouldn't it be nice if someone said "actually, please name this building after Joe the caretaker, who has worked for my business for over 40 years. He worked hard every single day and played a role in our business' success too."

My greater concern is where philanthropy may unduly influence the research or teaching direction of an institution. I'm not suggesting that this is the case here; where the couple in question chose to support a pre-existing U of T project.

Rather, that it certainly can be an area of concern and one which may require further attention in terms of ethical fundraising in the future.
This would be a concern for me too. Again, I don't see any evidence for this happening here, but I mean, wouldn't it be weird working in a building named after benefactors... would there be expectations to do things that conform with their views / opinions?

perhaps it would be better to allow a large donor to put forward names that might be chosen (their own excluded), or to have the University put forward a list of appropriate names and give the donor input into which one is chosen.

Just a thought.
THIS. Why can't we do this.

Last edited:
I feel like universities should get involved and partner into the condo design business. Not only would they get some cash, but they would be able to assist 80% of architect firms in this city who feel the need to design continual garbage.

For the most part, I'm thoroughly impressed with what Ryerson, York, and U of T has been doing.

Love the deciduous tree survivingness comment! I’d also note the bizarre tendency of Toronto renders to pretend streets won’t be festooned with overhead wires slung from all manner of frontier-town poles.

Back