Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

Happy to see more activity on this thread! I feel like this is a really under-appreciated project for the urban landscape (heh) for downtown Toronto, since a lot of non-U of T students seem to like passing through the campus when walking.

I haven't seen it recently, but when I lived in the Annex and worked downtown I often took the route through the campus. Pleasant, quiet, leafy, a few ways to cut some corners, etc.

It would be cool if they allowed desire paths to form over a few seasons, and then added paved paths along the routes pedestrians have created!
I fell like this should have been the plan when they started the reno. Give the people what they want! And then make it look pretty.

I agree with Northern Light. I'm not a fan of big dumb lawns in general, but this seems like the place to have a big dumb lawn. It's part of the appeal of King's College circle. It's a destination in itself, and not just a space for paths.

That being said, the lawn will probably look like a mess in March, and they'll have to fix it every May, but that's also part of the fun of having a big dumb lawn.

I fell like this should have been the plan when they started the reno. Give the people what they want! And then make it look pretty.

Provided one takes into account the impact on some existing uses of the space, it's certainly plausible to cut across the open space with paths/lights/seating (though I would still argue not desirable here). However, one must also keep in mind that with a parking lot and geothermal plant below there is no opportunity for tree planting or other significant weight/structure over the centre of the circle.

I haven't seen it recently, but when I lived in the Annex and worked downtown I often took the route through the campus. Pleasant, quiet, leafy, a few ways to cut some corners, etc.
Yes, U of T has a very pleasant campus for strolling through and, in general, the work they have done on it in the last decade has really improved it.

Apologies for the lack of pictures, but another brief update: First, the plants and trees seem to be all installed in the small areas on the east side of the circle (top of this image). More excitingly, the fences have come in closer to the parking structure, opening up a path directly from MSB to the south side of the circle i.e. the area around the concrete sculpture in the top right of this image is now accessible to the public, along with two rows of amphitheatre-style seating forming a ramp from MSB to the south side of the circle. It also seems that the various piles of dirt at the south end are shrinking considerably, and work seems to be focused there currently.

Here are some images finally for context. First we see the entrance to MSB at the SE corner of the circle in all of its (almost) finished glory:
20231028_140027.jpg

As mentioned, work seems to have moved almost entirely to the south end, where the pit and piles of dirt have been nearly entirely replaced by new stone tiles (at the southernmost part, left part of first image) and soil (adjacent to the field itself, right part of first image and behind the fence in second image). I'm not 100% familiar with the final plans, but it seems like this soil section will be covered in grass as well and connect up with the rest of the field? Not sure why it was done later, maybe someone smarter has insight:
20231028_140113.jpg

20231028_140358.jpg

The field itself was extremely lively, even on a chilly (ish) weekend day like today, which is great to see.

@Paclo must have been here very close to the same time as I ! He didn't even come over and say 'hi'. Pfft.

He also posted first, LOL That's what I get for being pokey.

Photos taken November 5th, 2023:

DSC02769.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02773.jpg

Temporary Irrigation in the planting beds:

DSC02775.jpg

Clear Desire Line forming:

DSC02776.jpg

Hart House Circle main path is substantially complete, subject to landscaping:

DSC02780.jpg

Taking their time finishing the garage entrance:

DSC02781.jpg

Look at the exposed tubing here:

DSC02782.jpg

I assume that is 'snow melt'

Lots of trees on the east side of the circle:

DSC02785.jpg

Mostly non native trees, lots of cherry, some Black Gum, at least one Ginko and the natives are Ironwood.

Parking Garage Pedestrian entrance:

DSC02788.jpg

DSC02789.jpg

A couple of bonus pics from elsewhere on campus:

Very nice Red Oak specimen on St. George Street:

DSC02768.jpg

From the foot of St. George..........are these actually Salvia? That's what they look like to me......but I've never seen them look that good post-frost.

DSC02790.jpg

Last edited:
@Paclo must have been here very close to the same time as I ! He didn't even come over and say 'hi'. Pfft.

He also posted first, LOL That's what I get for being pokey.

Looks like you were there earlier than me based on the sky, but we definitely overlapped and took almost identical photos of that garage entrance!

I was there on Saturday, and I noted two things: two old ladies looking very confused as they drove on the pedestrian only pathway (not sure how they got there), and the pumpkin on top of the DNA sculpture in front of med sci is still sitting up there.
You can easily get on the pedestrian only path by driving west on Wellesley and turning right onto Hart House Circle. I've seen many Ubers do that and it's quite frustrating to see. There's no road to walkway transition over there (i.e it's continuous). Obviously construction vehicles need to take that path but once it's all complete, they need to put up signs or barriers

Back