Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

I visited yesterday morning, and pedestrians were indeed able to travel around the entire circumference of King's College Circle (wasn't true on Saturday morning). The entrance to MSB facing toward KCC was also opened, and you can now walk from the entrance on Queen's Park Crescent to King's College Circle through the renovated courtyard area. The south end of KCC and the east entrance to the underground parking lot (going west on Wellesley) still look very rough, so not sure that completion is imminent.
I also heard that classes don't officially start until Friday, so they have basically another week to get stuff in order.

I also heard that classes don't officially start until Friday, so they have basically another week to get stuff in order.
Classes don't start until later this week, but the colleges all have their orientation weeks (I believe they started over the weekend) so the campus should be pretty busy. At least they got it to a somewhat presentable level, the giant dirt pit probably would've been a turnoff for incoming frosh.

Today

Hart House Circle is still being fenced off (gazebo pictured), but path behind the observatory is open

IMG_9674.jpeg

IMG_9675.jpeg

Looking east at the Wellesley underpass from Gerstein Library. Ongoing construction on the vehicle ramp to the underground garage is preventing direct access from the underpass to King’s College Circle (front campus)

IMG_9676.jpeg

As mentioned previously, the perimeter of front campus is now fully accessible, although the front campus itself (the lawn) is still fenced off. Looking west through the fencing

IMG_9677.jpeg

Pathway to Medical Sciences Building is now open, as is the courtyard and walkway which leads to University & College

IMG_9678.jpeg

Pavilion housing the elevator to the underground garage at the SE corner of King’s College Circle

IMG_9679.jpeg

The south end of the lawn is still a mess

IMG_9680.jpeg

Ongoing excavation at the SW corner of front campus. Access to Galbraith Rd (leading to College St) is now open from both the south and west sides of the perimeter (King’s College Circle)

IMG_9681.jpeg

One day shy of 3 weeks later, Photos taken Sept 29th, 2023:

The area around Hart House Circle is progressing but remains well shy of completion. To the south, the majority of the Front Campus circle and associated works is now complete, but there remains additional finishing work to do on landscape, parking entrances and areas adjacent to Med. Sci.

DSC02603.jpg

DSC02604.jpg

DSC02605.jpg

DSC02609.jpg

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02611.jpg

DSC02612.jpg

DSC02613.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

DSC02615.jpg

DSC02616.jpg

^ Nice photos!
You must have been just a few hours shy of them putting new signage on the front of the Medical Sciences Building, above the balcony. Not a fan of it. None of the other buildings around the circle have signage like it. But I guess they feel they have to give the Temerty family recognition for all the $$$.

Sad that they tore down the Best Building (and soon Banting building) and aren't putting their names on another building. I guess money talks more than scientific discovery does.

October 2 2023:

I just wanted to highlight one of the photos from Northern Light. If my understanding is correct, It seems they are finally going to tear down the very old steam pipe that is awkwardly situated in the path of the garage tunnel. Take a look at the current steam pipe placement:
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 3.22.31 PM.png
tempImage6Wm6Os.jpg

It seems they have disconnected one of the two pipes in this tunnel as of today. Here is a close up of that intersection:

tempImage0nXHyF.jpg

If you compare it to Northern Light's image, the top pipe has been removed. Surprised it took them this long to do this but I suppose it's a major process to re-route steam pipes.

Attachments

• tempImageUu60vO.jpg
    tempImageUu60vO.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 43
Happy to announce that our long period of suffering is finally over. The fences have come down and the Front Campus field is once again accessible (no obvious progress on the south part, Hart House, or the parking lot entrance unfortunately).

Hopefully the lawn is not scarred by desire paths 3 years from now. Then again, the City of Toronto is not maintaining the grass here and I would imagine UofT to do a better job with groundskeeping.

Hopefully the lawn is not scarred by desire paths 3 years from now. Then again, the City of Toronto is not maintaining the grass here and I would imagine UofT to do a better job with groundskeeping.
Before this project, the lawn was in really rough shape. It has been in rough shape for probably its entire lifespan (150 years?). Hopefully given this is the "landmark" of UofT, proper lawn care will take place.

It would be cool if they allowed desire paths to form over a few seasons, and then added paved paths along the routes pedestrians have created!

Got to differ on this.

Historically, front campus wasn't just a hang out spot; you saw pick up soccer, and other sport activities; plus, it's also the historic home of convocation (the outdoor meet and greet bits).

You're also supposed to be able to get an on-centre view of UC's main entrance from King's College Road; and vice versa.

I wouldn't want to see it all cluttered up.

Back