Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

these townhomes look like they could be used for retail or business. But im guessing theyre not zoned for that use and im sure if you lived in one of the townhomes and had say a pub open up next door, there would be some unhappy home owners. Maybe one day though.

It’s ridiculous for there to not be retail all along the podium of this development. I dearly hope it gets converted to that.

^Nonsense. Everything is contextual. U Towns reflects the collegial atmosphere of this micro nabe. Proof?

Z6BvEzr.jpg

ttuz9Hf.jpg

jq4qVrY.jpg

35EOHXZ.jpg

WxA7IFN.jpg

dxfnKH4.jpg

CyWw77W.jpg

It finally struck me where aA got inspiration for the angled balcony motif: note the angle of the steeple
nyDb7YH.jpg

brilliaAnt
0XMjFjg.jpg

kgrkaK2.jpg

Oh and perhaps St Mike's had a clause in their sale agreement: no retail allowed?

There is retail close by, there are a number of things from Wellesley to st Joseph on the east side, and on bloor and in yorkville. I don't mind the lack of retail. Convenience is always nice but it does often detract from the buildings character. The balconies are looking good. Still not very noticeable from a distance though. Hopefully when they are completed they will translate better from a distance.

Totally OT - the old theatre at the NE corner of Dundas and Spadina is just begging for a restoration/reuse.
AoD

This was originally a live venue for Yiddish theatre which was very unique for the day (1920's). It later became a regular cinema for a few decades until the early 60's when it was turned into a burlesque house and then when adult films became all the rage and burlesque died out, it became the Golden Harvest Theatre showing Chinese action films. I was in there a few times in the 80's, my first exposure to Shaw Bros. films, and it was an absolutely gorgeous cinema even then. Shame it got chopped up, I doubt much remains of the auditorium but it was among the nicest in the city.

Back