Toronto TYSSE: York University Station | ?m | 1s | TTC | Foster + Partners

I guess the good news is that all that groundwater probably won't be frozen if they actually start in 2-3 weeks. If they take much longer than that, things seem like they could be a bit more interesting for the slackers at Ellis Don.

I guess the good news is that all that groundwater probably won't be frozen if they actually start in 2-3 weeks. If they take much longer than that, things seem like they could be a bit more interesting for the slackers at Ellis Don.

York would then have their own skating rink.

Is it really "groundwater" (which would be kind of troubling, considering the bath-tub would presumably be waterproof) or is it collected rainwater? I would imagine it's the latter.

AoD

There's no way it's rainwater. That thing is huge and several feet deep. I don't know how much rainfall we've had since July but I'm guessing it's measured in inches, at most.
How groundwater is leaking into it is also somewhat baffling but it's definitely the more likely of the two scenarios. I may have mentioned above that there is some kind of pumping-type equipment alongside the hole but it doesn't seem to be doing anything substantive...We'll have to keep an eye out for when Ellis Don gets cracking anyway.

There's no way it's rainwater. That thing is huge and several feet deep. I don't know how much rainfall we've had since July but I'm guessing it's measured in inches, at most.
How groundwater is leaking into it is also somewhat baffling but it's definitely the more likely of the two scenarios. I may have mentioned above that there is some kind of pumping-type equipment alongside the hole but it doesn't seem to be doing anything substantive...We'll have to keep an eye out for when Ellis Don gets cracking anyway.

It could be a combination of both - the open pit is not waterproofed - the walls are just concrete and water will get past them. The waterproofing of the station box will be done as the station is constructed. What you see on site now is just to support the surrounding earth - another concrete wall will be cast in the inside of the pit walls.

We got a lot of rain this summer. The runoff from the surrounding area probably flooded the pit. It's just a matter of pumping the water out and building the station. It'll probably take a while to pump all the water out, though.

Ellis Don is setting up shop at York U.

20131028_124742 (800x573).jpg

Until now the hoarding around the site has been entirely solid so you couldn't see in at all. The new gates are all open (but with the translucent blue nets) and there are also new cut-outs in the hoarding ,though they have temporary boards on the now. Given what a high-traffic area it is, it'll be nice that people can finally see what's going on.

Attachments

• 20131028_124742 (800x573).jpg
    20131028_124742 (800x573).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 957
From http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/Project_News/Construction_Notices/News_by_Date/2013/November/01_Station_Contractor_Begins_Work_for_YU_Sta_Nov_2013.jsp:
Work will soon begin on the next phase of station construction with the mobilization by the York University Subway Station contractor EllisDon. EllisDon will begin bringing equipment and forces onto the York University Station construction site as they gear up for full mobilization and the next number of years of subway station construction. The site is located between York Boulevard and the Kaneff Tower/Archives Building and Ian Macdonald Boulevard near the Seymour Schulich Building. Work will take place in the Contractor Work Zones and Station construction areas on the map below.

Early mobilization work includes:

Starting on November 2, 2013, water will be pumped out of the station box. There will be some construction related noise related to the pumping.
Contractor site preparation which includes extending the construction site fencing on Ian Macdonald Boulevard across from the Archives of Ontario.
Mobilization of heavy equipment on to the site.
The erection of two (2) tower cranes on the east and west ends of the construction site (red circles on map).

Are construction crews typically described as "forces" that are mobilizing? I'm happy they're starting work and it's probably harmless but i is oddly militaristic in tone.

Are construction crews typically described as "forces" that are mobilizing? I'm happy they're starting work and it's probably harmless but I is oddly militaristic in tone.
Forces is a bit, but not entirely, unusual. But Mobilization and demobilization - or more colloquially mobing and demobing are very common terms.

Are construction crews typically described as "forces" that are mobilizing? I'm happy they're starting work and it's probably harmless but i is oddly militaristic in tone.

Workforce is a very common term. Perhaps they recognize that these sites typically have some people seemingly milling around so they have shortened workforce to force :) . I don't find calling people a member of a workforce or force any more offensive than calling people a human resource.

Ellis Don is in the hizzizz at York U. There are 3 trucks pumping away. At this rate, I have to say it looks like it's gonna take some time.

20131106_093411 (480x640).jpg

Attachments

• 20131106_093411 (480x640).jpg
    20131106_093411 (480x640).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 741
Yeah, if you go back a few posts you'll see the stories that ran in the National Post and the Star.
The site had been quiet when the first contractor finished their work in July and EllisDon hadn't taken over yet. In the meantime, it filled up with water (hard to say how much given the perspective but definitely several feet deep). TTC indicated it was groundwater though there could be rainwater too. Anyway, once the news broke they rushed EllisDon into action and the pumping started Monday. Once it's done, they'll presumably start the actual station construction which, allegedly, is not behind schedule after all this.

Back