Toronto TYSSE: Pioneer Village Station | 11.89m | 1s | TTC | aLL Design

They are overthinking it. It's a piece of public art, sure, but TTC is well within its rights to govern what shows up. If filters is what it takes, or limitations is what needs to be baked in, so be it. If one wants "free speech", use your mouth.

AoD

They could set up a Message Review Panel, meeting monthly, to decide what's appropriate to display. Apply online, submitting $650 or so to cover administrative costs, $750 if a non-416 resident.

Maybe it is TTC worried about people misinterpreting a proposed advertising slogan for this station: "Visit Pioneer Village Station and get a message!" Somebody thought it would read, "... and get a massage," and thus thought it too salacious for such a public venue.

Not cool.

upload_2018-1-18_10-35-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-18_10-35-21.png
    upload_2018-1-18_10-35-21.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 502
Does the TTC think that questions about this will just go away? Is Interim CEO Rick Leary simply uninterested in this kind of thing? We cannot have a piece of interactive artwork sitting there doing nothing. A solution needs to be found.

Maybe they are counting on no-one really caring if it is left turned off. I mean, just look at how long they have left Arc en Ciel in a non-functional state.

AoD

Arc en Ciel was removed long ago after they stopped maintaining it, and it never had four touch screens installed throughout its station, seeking out your manipulation. This is new, and inviting, and they need to turn it on, programmed to avoid certain words, or not.

Arc en Ciel was removed long ago after they stopped maintaining it, and it never had four touch screens installed throughout its station, seeking out your manipulation. This is new, and inviting, and they need to turn it on, programmed to avoid certain words, or not.

True, but I think it just speaks to the TTC's indifference to public art other than it being a checkmark a good chunk of the time. And I suspect they would rather not turn it on than deal with the fallout in this instance, however the chips fall.

AoD

The City must tell them that they have not fulfilled their public art obligations until it is turned on; they have obligations in that regard to complete the art, and it's not complete if it has not be activated. I've sent a note to the City's coordinator of public art, asking for a comment.

Good thing Glencairn is getting its art back.

Meanwhile, a certain symbol common in a certain website frequented by a certain leader of the "free" world cannot be properly displayed in Pioneer Village station's message displays.

Apologies to @salsa who frequents said website (and some others too)

Musicians would not be happy to learn that they have to spell out the word "sharp" on those displays.

Last edited:
Is Glencairn getting some art? I thought they were just fixing the leaking windows. (I live near that station, so if so, that is good news!)

True, but I think it just speaks to the TTC's indifference to public art other than it being a checkmark a good chunk of the time. And I suspect they would rather not turn it on than deal with the fallout in this instance, however the chips fall.

I'm confused. Brand new installation that someone must have approved. And now (after all that time and money) someone is having second thoughts? A lack of something here.

I'm confused. Brand new installation that someone must have approved. And now (after all that time and money) someone is having second thoughts? A lack of something here.

They probably didn’t think clearly about the implication of what they have chosen. I mean gee, you are having an art instilllation that will allow joe blow to come along and input a message for public display - they should have thought about the potential for abuse *right there*

AoD

Back