Vaughan TYSSE: Highway 407 Station | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

Bingo. If we could save $50M per subway station by not overbuilding, we could use the about $500M saved in subway stations here we could build that connection between Sheppard/Yonge and Downsview, or extend Sheppard subway east to Vic Park.

Relax I was merely poking fun at Vaughan's delusions of grandeur. The whole line itself is overbuilding to begin with so I don't know why everyone is picking on the stations. I'm sure we don't want to go there again.

I don't see that the new 407 station is really that overbuilt. It looked quite minimalistic to me. There's no above-ground structure to speak of, and a pretty bare-bones station.

I'm a bit perplexed why the only entrance is on the far side of the bus terminal from Jane. Surely there will be at least a few pedstrians.

I think that the fact that they're making the stations more spacious is a good idea, I mean, in the future its better to have space there than to have to expand if it is ever needed. Plus In my opinion who wants tiny crowded stations where all they did was add a box in the ground?

Although I can't get over the fact that it's called Highway 407 station...

I'm a bit perplexed why the only entrance is on the far side of the bus terminal from Jane. Surely there will be at least a few pedstrians.

There's nothing to the south that will generate pedestrians. Those people will walk to Steeles West. Across the street there's a cemetery. That won't generate any real traffic. There may be a few people north of the 407 that might walk here rather than going to VCC. But if they are walking that far they certainly can walk a bit further.

The station is enormous considering the only people that will ever use it are as many people as can park in the 600 parking spaces or transfer from the unbuilt transitway. You could build a bowling alley in the concourse and still have room left over to move the station's entire daily ridership though - if they all arrived at the exact same time - in a couple of minutes. It's a station that can be added later when it's needed. The line shouldn't even be underground here.

I'm not really sure what could be removed in order to cut costs though. As mentioned there is no building structure to speak of, save for a provision for a bus terminal (Imagine if they built the terminal...). Remove the maintenence level? Maybe, I honestly don't know why it's needed. Maybe we save on structural costs and get a pit and a platform as someone suggested. Still it's only $140 mill where other stations on this line are getting built for closer to $200 mill.

I think the major complaint should be the 30% cost overrun just at the planning stage. At just under $100 mill it may have been palatable, but the bump makes it less so. It's not just this station either it's virtually every station along the route has run into the same "problems" of high water table, etc, etc. Seriously were any professional engineering studies done for this area? Were the station costs intentionally low balled to get approval? Were the cost increases even due to the reasons cited? Or were they used a catch all for other reasons just to jack up the cost of the station? Was the overrun added in simply because the contingency fund is there so they figured we might as well take that as well?

With these sorts of questions I wonder if we shouldn't have an audit/review at the end of each of these projects to see for example, why something might have gone 30% over budget before even putting a shovel in the ground. I think we need that venue to be able to ask the project manangers why things like high water tables, etc were missed in the engineering studies. I'm sure there's usually very good reasons for the overruns but I think we should hear them.

There's no such thing as overbuilding when your city is a metropolis.

It ain't paradise to put up a parking lot.

I'm not really sure what could be removed in order to cut costs though.

Hows about the asphalt? Make it a gravel or grass lot, and that'll save a few pennies, and maybe a little more environmentally friendly. Just good luck keeping the station free of mud in spring.:rolleyes:

Given that the area isn't developed (and doesn't sound like it will be in the near future -
Is there a reason the line isn't elevated in this area?
Future development could be built around an elevated station and an elevated crossing of the 407 would provide good visibility.

Given that the area isn't developed (and doesn't sound like it will be in the near future -
Is there a reason the line isn't elevated in this area?
Future development could be built around an elevated station and an elevated crossing of the 407 would provide good visibility.

I'm guessing it has much to do with the fact that both Steeles West and VCC stations will be underground. Would there be room to get past Jane, up through a portal and to a proper height (I'm guessing 15 - 20 feet) for the station and then back down to VCC. What sort of construction savings could be had, and what effects would that decision have operationally? I.e. if the track is grading up and down what effect would that have on the trains, the motors, the brakes, the wheels etc. If there is an increased maintenence cost due to "roller coasting" the line it must be offset by a substantial savings in construction costs.

-Vaughan's "delusions of grandeur" have nothing whatsoever to do with this design. TTC is running the show and they held the intl' design competition and selected the winner who produced this design.
I man, I guess it's possible some of those unsavoury types in Vaughan leaned on em to make it a bit fancier....

-It sounds like most of the cost overruns have to do with making sure they don't impact Black Creek (which is, as I said earlier, the main reason there's no land for development). The other big factor seems to be the 407 Transitway.
So, firstly, they had to ADD something on to the initial design (hence, more money) and they've basically been ordered to include in their design something for which there is virtually no detail yet....that surely requires leaving some leeway, no?

I'm not saying there is NO overbuilding but those are both legit factors for an "overrun" and I for one am happy to see they are continuing to make some effort to DESIGN these stations. It's not really ridiculously extravagant - it's just an open concourse with a lot of windows.

If there are any pedestrian there, which I doubt, they are better off walking out the driveway which is further from the 407 and might have lights.

I am glad to see the station named "Highway 407" because putting the word "Transitway" into the name made it way too long. I'm hoping the plans for Vaughan's station show it named "Vaughan Centre".

Back