Toronto TYSSE: Downsview Park Station | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

That was my guess, but I would have thought they'd need to move the tracks further away than they did. I'm guessing they'll just excavate under the regular tracks, build a temporary bridge, then excavate where the diverted tracks are?

They couldn't move the tracks away any further because of where the station is relative to the bridge over Sheppard. They managed to get as much separation as they could.

Is the diversion for construction of the station buildings? The station box has already been dug for over a year now.

Most of the station box has been dug for a year now, but not all of it. The part still left to do - directly under the railway diversion - has yet to be started, and can only be done when the construction has advanced to the point where the new railway bridge over/through the station is in place and in use.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Downvsiew Park (Sheppard West) Station box as seen from the Barrie GO train on Sunday afternoon

7533109510_9578254246_c.jpg

I just passed by Sheppard West/Downsview Park station today. It's going to be one deserted station when it first opens since . After the area gets built out, it'll be a little busier. Might have made more sense to just rough in the station for now. Once the condos actually start getting built, they might have even been able to squeeze some money out of the developers to complete the station.

Of course, if we actually had real regional rail with full fare integration, it would become a fairly busy transfer point.

^ Imagine that station if we score an Olympic bid (assuming the stadium would be constructed in Downsview).. Then it would see some traffic.

I just passed by Sheppard West/Downsview Park station today. It's going to be one deserted station when it first opens since . After the area gets built out, it'll be a little busier. Might have made more sense to just rough in the station for now.

I think the main reason it is being built is the Barrie line transfer point. With fare integration it could be a fairly busy transfer point for people going to both Yorkdale Mall and York University.

I realize the Barrie Line only has about 11,000 weekday riders at the moment but it has potential to carry an order of magnitude more passengers with improved signalling, double tracking, and frequent service to New Market.

Tight integration with the TTC makes the Barrie line significantly more appealing for trips to York University and Yorkdale Mall.

How many people would actually be using those daily though? Is it enough to support a subway?

36 Finch West and Steeles West both go to the Finch Station on the Yonge leg of the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina Subway. Some, if not most, will transfer at the new Finch West Station.

How many people would actually be using those daily though? Is it enough to support a subway?

Does every stop on every transit line have to justify itself with large daily traffic though? If a subway is needed/desired/built between point A and point Z and inbetween there is point S which has uneven traffic flows but includes an interesting destination (say, a park or a concert venue or a sporting facility....or, in this case, possibly all 3) does it not make sense to have a stop there?

I think the main reason it is being built is the Barrie line transfer point. With fare integration it could be a fairly busy transfer point for people going to both Yorkdale Mall and York University.

I realize the Barrie Line only has about 11,000 weekday riders at the moment but it has potential to carry an order of magnitude more passengers with improved signalling, double tracking, and frequent service to New Market.

Tight integration with the TTC makes the Barrie line significantly more appealing for trips to York University and Yorkdale Mall.

You'll get no argument from me on any of that! You're absolutely right. When I say rough in the station for future completion, full fare integration would definitely be one of the things that would prompt completion. Unfortunately, with the current situation I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple hundred people a day who made the transfer.

... full fare integration would definitely be one of the things that would prompt completion. Unfortunately, with the current situation I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple hundred people a day who made the transfer.

I believe fare integration will happen a couple of years after TTC is fully on Presto.

Why? Primarily Union Station capacity but I could also see both the provincial Tories and NDP making it a "string" to GO/TTC receiving provincial gas tax and other operating funds.

The last couple of times Metrolinx has presented potential solutions to resolving long-term capacity problems at Union Station they involved transferring more passengers to TTC. A downtown tunnel (sub-union station or Wellington tunnel) seem to be backup plans.

The last couple of times Metrolinx has presented potential solutions to resolving long-term capacity problems at Union Station they involved transferring more passengers to TTC. A downtown tunnel (sub-union station or Wellington tunnel) seem to be backup plans.

I thought the Metrolinx option was still a station at Bathurst North yard and a tunnel from there (whether operated by TTC or GO).

I don't see how transferring GO passengers to TTC would solve the Union problem, if they don't add new connections to the TTC subway system.

Back