Toronto Two Gladstone | ?m | 8s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

12 February 2011--wonder when 8 Gladstone is launching? So far Streetcar's silence on whether it's their site or not leads me to believe it may be their next project....

005ah.jpg

008enf.jpg

I'm making them aware how much we hate that concrete anti-urban corner here.:D

In all fairness there is going to be retail space on the ground level, along Gladstone. Unfortunately the incline on Queen St exposes the basement level, hence the gradual introduction of a concrete wall on the south side of the building. If they're smart they'll put something to dress it up (maybe a designated space where artists can draw nice graffiti, instead of letting it get randomly tagged). Hopefully when the building beside it gets developed they'll put some store frontage there, which right now is a much bigger blight the small wall at 2 Gladstone.

My name is Jeanhy and I am with Streetcar Developments. The concrete wall on the south side of 2 Gladstone is actually a structural "crash wall" that we were required to build by CN due to the proximity of the railway tracks. CN has very strict rules, restrictions and design/construction requirements for building within a certain distance from the rail tracks. We are currently investigating various options to make this "crash wall" more "interesting" as we are aware that this would otherwise be prone to graffiti and would become an eyesore. We will be releasing more details about our plans for the "crash wall" as they are finalized over the upcoming months. Please feel free to check our website for updates (www.streetcar.ca) and I will also make a point of providing details of our plans in this thread. Regarding the 'concrete corner' at 2 Gladstone, yes, there is going to be new retail at the corner at ground level. I hope this sheds some light on the situation, and we welcome your comments and feedback. Thanks.

Grow some poison ivy on the lower half of the wall. That way, when the hooligans come to spray the upper half of the wall, they'll walk away with stings. That'll teach them!

That, or some normal creeping plant covering the enitire wall would do fine.

Thanks for joining UT Jeanhy! Good explanation as well. Given the area, how about two "picture frames" that would host changing exhibitions of photography and paintings by area artists--say 4-6 exhibits each year? But would the 2G condo association want to maintain that feature?

I suppose a metal sculpture or freize would work well here, perhaps documenting the area's history? Or changeable LCD art panels.

Looks like my 12 Feb 2011 prediction re: 8 Gladstone was spot on...;)

Last edited:
Fastest moving project by Streetcar so far - this thing flew up! I'd love to have a place here, in the middle of a vibrant area.

March 19th
20110319018.jpg

A couple of notes on this picture:

- I love how they've connected Sudbury to Gladstone. It really goes a long way to urbanizing a previously desolate intersection.

- I wonder if Christine Zeidler gave up on her intention to rebuild the Gladstone Hotel roof. I've never seen the building from this perspective. It looks quite beautiful but the missing cupola is very obvious.

Last edited:
If only all buildings moved this quickly. This thing is going to take about a year to build. Excavation started this past June.

A couple of notes on this picture:

- I love how they've connected Sudbury to Gladstone. It really goes a long way to urbanizing a previously desolate intersection.

- I wonder if Christine Zeidler gave up on her intention to rebuild the Gladstone Hotel roof. I've never seen the building from this perspective. It looks quite beautiful but the missing cupola is very obvious.

Apparently there's a bylaw against cupolas? I was reading an article about the Big Bop building, which is being fully renovated by Crate and Barrel, yet they aren't allowed to rebuild the historic cupola that the building used to have. Unfortunately the article didn't go into the reasoning behind such an insane bylaw.

Apparently there's a bylaw against cupolas? I was reading an article about the Big Bop building, which is being fully renovated by Crate and Barrel, yet they aren't allowed to rebuild the historic cupola that the building used to have. Unfortunately the article didn't go into the reasoning behind such an insane bylaw.

Well, I presume exemptions can be granted on heritage grounds, should one petition to do so. So, I'm guessing that for Xtina Zeidler, there's no superurgent rush to expend elbow grease on negotiating such an exemption; other things are momentarily more important...

May 08 Taggers Rule

The taggers really rule this area and this building is going to get kill by them.
5702194031_ac126bfe13_b.jpg

5702759710_8e0e32154b_b.jpg

5702758784_3fae3902d8_b.jpg

5702179175_662d175ec3_b.jpg

5702746816_5205c7f85a_b.jpg

5702177099_56dbd187b4_b.jpg

5702174161_0c116a174d_b.jpg

Another opportunity to express how I absolutely fiercely despise taggers. The street level along Dufferin will definitely get tagged. The higher levels won't have that problem once people have moved in. That wall got tagged because it's now only a construction site and access up there shouldn't be too difficult.

Back