Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

If the Nathan Philips Square renovation ended here, I'd be happy to take the net gain that the loss of that horrendous nuclear shelter was.

nathanbunkr.jpg

I am glad it's gone after all these years of waiting - and it's good to see that they aren't wasting time now that the ball has started rolling.

AoD

Well, no need for flames since the issue is already settled - the walkway is staying, but we're going to get a reno for it (with selected sections of the cladding replaced with glass)

AoD

Well, no need for flames since the issue is already settled - the walkway is staying, but we're going to get a reno for it (with selected sections of the cladding replaced with glass)

AoD
What? I don't remember hearing about that. That sounds kind of disappointing. I understand that that look isn't considered "pretty" these days but I think it's completely honest and we'll probably regret the change after a decade.

Thanks AoD.

I'm not a fan of that idea at all. I understand the reason for doing it and can appreciate what they're trying to accomplish by putting the glass in but I do feel like it's taking away from the "purity" and monolithic look of the square.

With the removal of the nuclear bunker and, if they remove that silly garden that's in the middle towards the east, I think NPS would be the best representation of the 60's that Toronto has. And it definitely has an Orwellian, 1984, Equilibrium, feel to it that I love. I can see it coming back around in style over the next couple of decades.

Thanks AoD.

I'm not a fan of that idea at all. I understand the reason for doing it and can appreciate what they're trying to accomplish by putting the glass in but I do feel like it's taking away from the "purity" and monolithic look of the square.

With the removal of the nuclear bunker and, if they remove that silly garden that's in the middle towards the east, I think NPS would be the best representation of the 60's that Toronto has. And it definitely has an Orwellian, 1984, Equilibrium, feel to it that I love. I can see it coming back around in style over the next couple of decades.

Totally respect your opinion, but while we're pouring our hearts out over the walkway, I'll say that I hate that damn thing. From the square, it looks like a chunky band of bland, strangling off a seemingly ambitious public space with absolute impunity; when you're actually on it, it's just downright depressing. Trees and benches may help, but I sincerely hope that "repaving" the walkway means at least laying interlocking pavers. That's what I had assumed would be done based on what I saw from the renderings.

Ultimately I disagree about the glass - I think it could really benefit from being opened up more, and I guess glass is the only way to go. I'll probably change my mind once idiots start keying it all to crap, so I guess I'll have to make sure I march up there and enjoy it while it's pristine.

Last edited:

Back