Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Doors Open 2010

Starting at the south-east side of the green roof these photos follow the building around back (the north side) and back around to the west side finishing back out front on the south side. This is a stunning display up here, I can't wait to get back and see it in a month or so when the plants have grown more. I noticed about 17-18 LED lighting panels around each tower, so about 35 or 36 LED's will light up the back and front columns of City Hall once they're up and operating. Many can be seen in some of the photos.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The west side of the site currently under construction as seen from the north end

The photo below and others above by dt_toronto_geek show street furniture is already up there... if benches with shadow-casters is what you meant.

Meanwhile, this roof is an indication of how good the whole square will be when PLANT & STP+W are done with it!

Thanks for the pics/vids. There is one regrettable change in the project - in the original proposal, they intended to "ring" the council chambers with polished black granite to mimic a water feature without the hassle/cost; to see that replaced with paving is a bit of a disappointment. That said, the rest of the project and the LED lighting is very nice - wonder if the latter can change colours?

AoD

Excellent Roof! I'll have to check it out!

What if they could also link up the AGO and Eaton Center to Nathan Phillips with some sort of treed walkway? I've been thinking about this for a while - thought I'd toss the idea up here.

nathanphillipsafter.jpg

There's just a few 1-3 story warehouse-like buildings in the way (crossed out in green)

2875773895_f3f64ff232.jpg

(Paris)

Last edited:
Treed walkways are always welcomed anywhere. Sadly, I would be happy if the present trees on our streets were healthy and full.

I was up on the roof today and it is a great success. The pictures do not do the space justice. The detailing (the handrails, the benches) is exceptional as well. This bodes well for the renovations for the rest of the square (which are not exactly moving too fast. I have see no workers for the past two weeks or so).

Last edited:
They were very vague as to when the renovations would be complete: "over the next few years". This sounds like they don't have the funding in place for the whole thing yet and will do it as money becomes available. Hopefully the next Mayor and Council are friendly to the project.

Will our trees ever look the ones in Paris? Maybe the first step is to remove all the shredded plastic bags. Then water. Then prune. I've never seen as many dead sidewalk tries in Toronto as I do now. If the city's going to plant twigs and then just leave them to die, they shouldn't bother. Either do the job right or don't do it at all.

Will our trees ever look the ones in Paris? Maybe the first step is to remove all the shredded plastic bags. Then water. Then prune. I've never seen as many dead sidewalk tries in Toronto as I do now. If the city's going to plant twigs and then just leave them to die, they shouldn't bother. Either do the job right or don't do it at all.

Here here.

I live in the Yonge and Eglinton area and I just know I'll witness the death of scores of newly planted trees in the next year. It's already happening with some. Way to revitalize.

That's not to mention the already hacked-up, newly laid (poured is the more accurate verb) sidewalks. I seethe whenever I see that &$*%ing asphalt. Let's hope there's some permanence to the beauty we're promised at City Hall.

Most of our low to mid-traffic areas (and parks) downtown have beautiful mature trees, the problem lays with some our high traffic areas.

Here here.

I live in the Yonge and Eglinton area and I just know I'll witness the death of scores of newly planted trees in the next year. It's already happening with some. Way to revitalize.

That's not to mention the already hacked-up, newly laid (poured is the more accurate verb) sidewalks. I seethe whenever I see that &$*%ing asphalt. Let's hope there's some permanence to the beauty we're promised at City Hall.

Not really sure what your basing this on, most of the new trees in the Y&E area seem to be doing fine, it can take a year or two for some to bloom completely, quite a few did earlier in this summer. Also, most of the new sidewalk is virtually untouched, you should take a walk downtown on Yonge to a see a truly hacked up sidewalk.

Downtown Toronto does not have many mature trees lining the main pedestrian avenues like Yonge, Queen, King, Dundas, Bloor.

The biggest offender is Yonge Street. As our main street it us a disgrace to the city and really co tributes to the concrete feel of this city.

Back