Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I quite like that tree-lined walkway idea.

One of the saddest aspects of our streetscaping in Toronto is the endless parade of dead or dying trees. I assume that it's at least partly because they're imprisoned in tiny concrete boxes. Trees in Paris and other cities tend to be in much more spacious open areas. I'm not sure why Toronto is so obsessed with those concrete containers. The saddest is on streets like Blue Jays Way and Wellington where the old planters have been filled with asphalt so that you have random squares of asphalt in the concrete sidewalk.

If the rest of the Nathan Philips Square revitalization is going to look like this, we're going to have a beautiful public square that we can all be proud of.

dsc8849.jpg

dsc8847.jpg

Pics by MetroMan

Last edited:
amazing pictures retroman. i think it's unanimous: NPS is a success.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5H 2N1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 188680 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Jun 3, 2010

Project: Other New Building

Description: This is for the Nathan Phillips Square revitalization project. The work is to include a new bike storage area below grade, a new information kiosk, a new restaurant with greater than 300 seats, a new theatre, a renovation to the elevated walkway and a peace garden. Also please refer to folder no. 10 167186 BLD.

Back to Search Results page

The LED lighting on the sides and rear of the two City Hall towers was fired up on Tuesday. I've seen them go brighter back when they were testing/aligning them a month or so ago and with most LED light installations, they can change colours.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I know it was built way before, but it's too bad Osgoode Hall doesn't face NPS. It would make such a better western wall for the square...

I walked past there on Saturday, and all of the blue fencing that was put up on the western end was taken down. Not sure why.

The cinderblock bunker is gone - photos by shadydeals on flickr (who generously granted UT the right to post them directly):

4794818562_b979461600_z.jpg

4794813562_d730f4246e_z.jpg

AoD

Last edited:

Back