Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Re: re: NPS Competition

I know I should duck when I write this, but I could care less if they change the name of the square. I mean, who is Nathan Phillips anyway? I would only hope the name remains non-corporate: Swiss Chalet Plaza just doesn't do it for me.

Nathan Phillips was the first non-Orangeman elected mayor. That is a huge deal - Phillips was Jewish, but before him, you couldn't be mayor if you were Catholic, Jewish, or anything else than a Protestant. Doug Holyday suggested renaming the square. He was rightfully scorned by almost all.

I think renaming public spaces such as parks and squares for money is sacrosanct. Skydome, not so much, but I still refuse to acknowledge its renaming, partly because of all the tax dollars Godfrey got us to spend for that place, only for Godfrey to buy it for $25 million 15 years later.

Never for the square but perhaps for the skating rink, flower beds, washrooms(?), etc.

I don't think I've ever heard of naming rights for a washroom! I can only imagine the possibilities...

So according the website, we should expect to see the finalists designs by March '07-.

There are some very interesting people involved with the various teams, but I wonder how much influence they will have on the overall projects- considering the 3 out of 4 teams are predominently canadian?

Doesn't an international team have to pair up with a Canadian firm if they want to do work here?

I too am disappointed we can't see the preliminary proposals. The city wants to get people involved...giving people the opportunity to see all the proposals would really generate interest.

Nathan Phillips was the first non-Orangeman elected mayor. That is a huge deal - Phillips was Jewish, but before him, you couldn't be mayor if you were Catholic, Jewish, or anything else than a Protestant. Doug Holyday suggested renaming the square. He was rightfully scorned by almost all.

And beyond all that, Nathan Phillips was the mayor who made New City Hall and NPS possible. (A debased version of that naming logic is Mel Lastman Square in North York.)

...sounds a little self-congratulatory to me. Shouldn't a civic space be named for something that speaks of the public, or for something that defines what the square is used for or what it represents?

As I said, I think the name Nathan Philips represents what City Hall represents architecturally - Toronto coming of age from a city run by conservative Orangemen to a cosmopolitan international centre that has loosened up big time.

tudararms, you are kidding me right?

What speaks more of the public than an individual who has served the public and made a worthwhile and lasting contribution to the city? What represents the city better than naming a square in front of city hall after someone who served the city in an honourable and lasting way?

Using the logic (?) above, the square would be named "In front of City Hall Square" or "Public Events Square."

I know I should duck when I write this, but I could care less if they change the name of the square. I mean, who is Nathan Phillips anyway? I would only hope the name remains non-corporate: Swiss Chalet Plaza just doesn't do it for me.

You should duck. Ignorance of recent history is a really bad reason to "care less" about changing the name of the square.

...sounds a little self-congratulatory to me. Shouldn't a civic space be named for something that speaks of the public, or for something that defines what the square is used for or what it represents?

He had retired by the time they named the square, so it wasn't "self-congratulatory". As for the civic space being named "for something that speaks of the public" or for "what it represents", that's exactly what they did. Nathan Phillips helped transform this city -- naming the square after him was a fitting tribute and I can't imagine a more appropriate name.

You should read up on this stuff.

The Toronto Sun *shrug*

Mon, December 11, 2006

The statue of Sir Winston Churchill at Nathan Phillips Square has been deemed 'relocatable,' which is one thing the great leader is not

By JOE WARMINGTON

Sir Winston Churchill might have had something to say about this.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat," he once said.

Yes, they'd be more careful with talk of relocating the Churchill monument at Nathan Phillips Square if the rough and tumble leader were alive today!

But this is 2006 where a leftist Toronto city council constantly begs Ottawa for more taxpayers' dough yet plans an unnecessary $40-million "revitalization" of the square which could see the removal of one of the greatest figures in the history of the free world.

In the process, a stunning monument to Churchill -- one which has stood for 30 years at the southwest corner of Nathan Phillips Square -- may well be in jeopardy. In a glossy, colour brief encouraging bids for designs, there is a possible travesty in the making: the tribute to Churchill has been deemed "relocatable."

Let's just say right now such an indignity won't be carried out without a fight. As the former British prime minister himself said, "We shall not flag or fail.

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight in the fields and in the street, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender."

We didn't. But some just don't seem to get it.

In supporting the redesign even editorial page editor Rob Granatstein wrote "roll Winston Churchill to elsewhere in the city. What does he have to do with Toronto anyway?"

How about freedom?

"He meant everything," said Arthur Bishop, the 83-year-old author, historian and WWII Spitfire pilot who has a picture of the legend with his flying ace father Billy Bishop above his desk. "Without Churchill rallying Britain, it very well may have fallen. This is disgraceful."

Toronto, as we know it today, might not even exist.

To be fair, a decision to remove the monument has not yet been made but the competition says it can be. What kind of people erect a monument and later take it down? This isn't Iraq! It goes against the purpose of enshrining a person in the first place.

RELOCATABLE?

The winning design, to be announced next February, does not have to include Churchill and two other "relocatable" sculptures, the Roman Column and the Sundial. Strangely, Henry Moore's abstract, The Archer, has secured "not relocatable" status.

"Why is that one is not to be moved but the one of Churchill can be?" asked Hal Jackman.

The former lieutenant governor of Ontario doesn't think either should be touched. "My father paid for both," he said of the late Henry R. Jackman who dedicated the Churchill memorial in 1977 -- 12 years after Churchill's death in 1965 -- with the idea it would be there forever.

Ironically David Crombie was mayor then and three decades later is on the selection committee, which includes Michael Ondaatje, Cornelia Hahn Oberlander, Frances Halsband, Eric Haldenby and Dinu Bumbaru.

Jackman, who was not aware of this competition, will now pay attention. "My father (a WWI vet and an MP during WWII) was a great admirer of Churchill," he said. "No one has ever talked to me about this. My father made an agreement with the city. This would be breaking that agreement."

Whatever is decided, they'd best not count out Churchill, who in 1941 told Canada's Parliament, "(Germany's) generals advised France's divided cabinet: 'In three weeks England will have her neck wrung like a chicken. Some chicken. Some neck.'"

Some stupidity they are even considering this. And some injustice if it happens. Bishop, who has seen his own father's stellar reputation attacked by anti-war zealots, agrees there will be resistance. "I am so sick of these left-wing yahoos," he said. "It just gets so ridiculous. They just want to make themselves heard."

They'll hear plenty if they lay a hand on the man we should be forever thanking for all our freedoms.

^ Toilet Paper. That's what I'd use The Sun for if it in itself wasn't already bull shit.

I'm always amazed by what the Sun will get on about. The statue is in a horrible location now. It ought to be moved somewhere even without the square being redeveloped.

how dare they consider moving our statue of liberty.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the fact that the thing is always covered in pigeon crap. down with those dirty birds. don't they realize they're only alive and free today because of him?

That's another reason to turn the lights on at the CN Tower. To kill the pigeons, ridding Churchill's statue of poo.

How would the potential of moving a statue to allow for an overall improvement of the entire area constitute an insult, considering the alternative of neglect?

AoD

Back