Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Connections

Brown and Storey would like the competition to go even further. "It's an opportunity to create a whole zone from Osgoode Hall to Old City Hall to the Eaton Centre, Trinity Square and beyond," Storey says. "It's all disconnected. We could have a larger civic precinct."

IMHO this is the most important aspect of the competition.

NPS RE-DESIGN......winner announced.

Perhaps it's a bit premature for the coronation, but I'm pretty sure this is a winner. The actual competition docs are way too much reading so hopefully submitting a low res jpeg will still ensure victory. I wonder...

1. The grandest gesture in the re-design is of course the new arch, and I think Revell would have gotten a kick out of it.

A little bit Gateway Arch, a little bit Harbour Bridge... it would be enclosed/jumper-proof and fun to climb. Quite striking, high enough to ensure unobstrusive photo ops of City Hall at ground level, and a heck of a view. Glass 'n steel.

nathan.jpg

2. "The World" - though not entirely original, there's few places on earth where this would be so very appropriate... "Meeting Place" and all that.

The topographic, embossed effect is all in the design... (it's flat), the world is flush to the new granite pavers so no tripping thank you.

At night (see inset upper right), the topographgic map reveals the fibre optic inlays that carve out the countries of the world in light.

Key cities (like Toronto of course) would have their own little glow... perhaps even backlit city names.

Definitely a not-to-miss geography outing for the whole family.

3. The fountain - doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the square is crying out for a great water show... akin to the Eaton Centre fountain with a timed mega-geyser. They're always fun to wait for.

4. The Podium: new stairs invite us up to the podium with lots to see. The Peace Garden has been relocated here and now we can touch (or punch) council chambers as Revell had intended.

Stairs offer up great sightlines for public events large and small.

The stage remains modular and never sits around unless it has to... stored under the north/east stairs and walkway.

* with the exception of the north/east storage and the south/west washrooms etc. there remains free passage under the walkway/garden into the square.

5. A new pavilion (echoing the council spaceship) is a welcome centre, snack bar, skate rental etc.

Washrooms/change rooms are located nearby, built under the elevated walkway.

6. Sculpture Walk: the west perimeter of the square hosts a new sculpture walk with gardens, the Archer, the Sundial etc. and new full colour glass globe fashioned from all the flags of the world (lower left).. particularly groovy at night.

7. The Elevated Walkway: re-clad but not for walking... it's planted with lots of fleurs and evergreens to ensure all year colour.

Forgive me but... it had to go... the south perimeter of the walkway is demolished so the square opens completely to Queen Street. Come on in damn it.

So there she is. Me likey even if you don't.

Forgot to mention... would like to reclad the roof of council chambers spaceship.... clouds reflecting and all that... yummy view from the new arch.

3D, April Fools was some time ago...

... are you sure this isn't something you prepared? I like elements of it, but it meddles too much with the City Hall building itself.
It also doesn't take into consideration the requirement to keep the walkways.

Canuck:

Stolen from Metropolis...or the KPMB Hummingbird proposal.

AoD

Toronto now makes so much sense to me, after reading your well-considered comments. Yes, I took the time to read.

The pay-off was the wonderful, insightful... expected... comment about wheelchair accessibilty!!

Wow. You guys are just so ... special. This forum is joyful, so joyful. Spread the joy. Hey Alvin, you can use that as the UT value proposition if you wish. No charge.

The fountain: I like the idea of a single large fountain. I think it would be better if it incorporated a monmental sculpture by a reknowned international artist. Thus, in winter, a lit central sculpture can be viewed and skated around. Considering the popularity of this rink in winter I would make it larger as well.

A new pavilion (echoing the council spaceship): I like this idea a lot- that concrete shack needs to go. Something reflecting the style of the main building would be more appropriate.

Sculpture Walk: Excellent- the more public art the better. More trees as well- especially evergreens. That square needs some greenery over the winter months.

The Elevated Walkway: Nice idea with the planting flowers etc. but ideally I would like to see those elevated walkways taken down.

The Arch: Very bold, but I'm quite sure this would not fly as it would obstruct the gorgeous view of the spaceship from some angles.

I've already wrapped your Xmas present Bog, because it appears you take the time to read and consider.

BTW, the arch is outrageous but why not? ... inject some whatever into the damn competition. compliment/re-invigorate/re-invent... pourquois pas?

What impresses me most about that scheme is how it offers to revamp the towers into something more in accordance with Revell's 1958 model;-)

^^ that's cuz that is Revell's model.

Is my sarcasm meter picking up something?

Even though this seems to be a spoof model, I do like the geyser idea.

The anticipation of this thing shooting up and wetting people splashing around in the pool (yes, people should be allowed in there) would be fun to watch and participate in. It could be coordinated with lights from below the water. Water changing to red (via LED's) could mean an impending blast of water.

Again, I see no better model to follow other than Crown Fountain @ Millennium Park, Chicago.

Of course I used the model but I have very specific plans regarding re-cladding the towers... if allowed/budgeted.

reclad.jpg

Back