Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

South facade is boring yes, but it's sleek, slender no fuss profile has a certain charm, especially since it is so different on the east and west.

My comment was a pun on the expression 'too little, too late.' 'Too little' because, if the lighting is the fix, this fix is only superficial; 'too late' because this fix would be apparent only at night, when it's late. Either way, I'd conjecture that we're all to some degree entitled to share our comments on architecture in our shared city. So unless there's a good, likely engineering-based reason for putting up the mis-matched glass on the mechanical here, I'd say that this is something that should have been avoided.

But I'm always open to objections.

Whether the mechanical glass stays or not it is still an exceptional tower so why dwell on the negatives?

Installer are there to install the glass. It's not their responsibility if a load/panel comes in discoloured or mismatched. These deficiencies will be brought to light during a developer's inspection and it will be worked out who ultimately will pay the additional costs. It's far from being too late not that I believe it will be replaced.

The lack of a fountain is just so disappointing, it would have made an amazing vista for King W.

I think it is a very attractive building with an obvious and irritating flaw, the colour of the glass in the mechanical penthouse. The more pressing questions for me if I were a potential purchaser would have to do with a feature I like from a distance, namely the external bands. Although they look handsome from a distance, I wonder what effect they will have on the interior of the units. Do I want an apartment with, potentially, a broad band across my view? Will the bands make window cleaning difficult and costly? Will they get dirty on the inside and also be hard to clean? Will birds nest on the points they are joined to the wall? These have probably been addressed earlier in this thread but I haven't located the answers.

Last edited:
Whether the mechanical glass stays or not it is still an exceptional tower so why dwell on the negatives?

Installer are there to install the glass. It's not their responsibility if a load/panel comes in discoloured or mismatched. These deficiencies will be brought to light during a developer's inspection and it will be worked out who ultimately will pay the additional costs. It's far from being too late not that I believe it will be replaced.

It's only exceptional because it's "different" in a city that is loaded with boring, unimaginative design. As some have said, the flaws are pretty big with this building. The renders looked amazing. The end result is much worse. There has to be something done so that developers stick to the design that is presented. I get that there will be changes but it never sat right with me that a builder could propose one thing and deliver something so completely different. Changes should be minor.

Found listings with pics.

Definitely a case of buying post-construction to figure out the view impacts of the banding...
Not keen on the bare concrete ceilings and walls.

f657dd0b946cd46738d9a416258e2aa0.jpeg

http://www.to-condo.com/224-king-st-west-toronto.html#idle

ee001df4b4961e135079e3a74f3eb929.jpeg

http://www.to-condo.com/224-king-st-west-toronto.html#idle

83cc4df022342ca5938a1b97ddc751a9.jpeg

http://idx.myrealpage.com/wps/-/_wf~940,noframe~true/recip/36558/search-729579.def/details-45131738

355b2e101d6753df68f15ebb0cb7c7ff.jpeg

http://idx.myrealpage.com/wps/-/_wf~940,noframe~true/recip/36558/search-729579.def/details-45131738

$_20.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-1-bedroom-de...-den-at-theatre-park-224-king-st-w/1041375887

Last edited:
Maybe I can be corrected but it seems Lamb Developments always do concrete ceilings. Is this a way of just cheaping out and selling his buildings as modern lofts? For a building as 'elite' as this, I would have liked to have seen less concrete.

Thanks for finding those photos, Officedweller. I imagine that they still have to finish the bare concrete ceilings and internal walls, perhaps according to the directions of the purchaser. But the photos do show the effect of the diagonal bands. How one feels about them would be a matter of individual taste. I think I would choose another building.

Maybe I can be corrected but it seems Lamb Developments always do concrete ceilings. Is this a way of just cheaping out and selling his buildings as modern lofts? For a building as 'elite' as this, I would have liked to have seen less concrete.

I haven't seen a lamb project without concrete ceilings. I like the look but it's not for everybody. When done right, concrete can look nice. When done in a rush, cost cutting way as seen at many loft projects, they stink.

I think for a project of this class the ceilings should have been white plaster. You hear quite a bit of noise with concrete.

I don't like the bands as they really cut off the views.

Thanks for finding those photos, Officedweller. I imagine that they still have to finish the bare concrete ceilings and internal walls, perhaps according to the directions of the purchaser. But the photos do show the effect of the diagonal bands. How one feels about them would be a matter of individual taste. I think I would choose another building.

I dont think thats the case about finishing the bare concrete ceilings. The photos taken are from an add to lease a 2 bedroom unit. I pressume the unit is done if the owner is looking for tenants.

I kind of like the look of the bands from the inside. I can think of other reasons for not wanting a unit here, but the visual impact of the bands is interesting

I haven't seen a lamb project without concrete ceilings. I like the look but it's not for everybody. When done right, concrete can look nice. When done in a rush, cost cutting way as seen at many loft projects, they stink.

I think for a project of this class the ceilings should have been white plaster. You hear quite a bit of noise with concrete.

I don't like the bands as they really cut off the views.

For an exposed ceiling, these ones fall into the latter camp; they look far too messy here. Unfortunately what's really a big cost cutting measure for the developer has been sold to suckers as some sort of premium design feature. What a joke.

Love the concrete ceilings.

The concrete ceilings and walls is another matter. There are some that are aesthetically pleasing, while others look messy. Concrete/textured walls have to be treated on per-case basis.

Last edited:
Love the concrete ceilings.

The concrete ceilings and walls is another matter. There are some that are aesthetically pleasing, while others look messy. Concrete/textured walls have to be treated on per-case basis.

I definitely love exposed concrete when it's done right, and finished to standards befitting its exposure. It's just unfortunately the ones pictured above, along with many recent projects don't have the attention to detail required to warrant their exposure. For comparison, here's a well done example of exposed concrete.

Back