The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

karledice

Member Bio
Reaction score
Impressive, and surprised that this isn't made domestically, even in Ontario, we don't have mfg plants that can make these steel structures?
Surprised it has to be made in Europe and shipped over

PatM

Member Bio
Reaction score
2020/11/26

IMG_20201126_092505.jpg

IMG_20201126_092537_1.jpg

IMG_20201126_092534.jpg

IMG_20201126_092510.jpg

IMG_20201126_092624.jpg

IMG_20201126_092718.jpg

Last edited:

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Any word on tenants? This thing is flying now, it looks likely that it’s going to be occupied some time next year. There must be a list of confirmed tenants somewhere. As a neighbourhood resident, I’m most interested in what kind of retail is going to be at my doorstep. Anybody know? Whole Foods? Movie theatres? Apple? These and more have been rumoured for The Well at one point or another but never confirmed.
The movie theatres were not taken up so that area is being configured for other commercial use. Any other particular retail tenants continue to only be speculation.
This office building's facade in the photos up above. Has a rich deep green look to it when it's overcast compared to when it's sunny !
Correct, it's cheap green glass.

steveve

Member Bio
Reaction score
I actually find the dark green hue of the office building cladding to be somewhat refreshing. Though green glass dominated the formative years of the construction boom, blue and grey glass seem to be much more prevalent as of late.
Recent office builds SFC, 16 York, LCBO Tower, Bay Adelaide, EY, CIBC Square, etc all seem to have some variation of blue or silver.
The X beams and metallic accents also compliment the overall aesthetic.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The theatre space has been leased to the Konrad Group.
Ah, the digital agency and product innovation firm that offers strategy, design, and technology services to the world's most ambitious businesses and brands? The Konrad Group that leverages their design-driven approach to build cutting-edge digital solutions, delivering compelling experiences to their clients and further on to their clients' customers? Cool.
It is green, but it's not cheap.
Sorry, I should have said “bargain basement, bottom-of-the-barrel, fire-sale, iron-loaded, penny-pinching number-cruncher architecturally-stigmatized bottle-green vitrics associated with the worst of our condo construction from the previous wave." I mean, just compare it with the glass in the Stantec building right in front of it:

img_20201126_092505-jpg.285231

Photo by @PatM

At least the green glass on the tower is nice and flat.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said “bargain basement, bottom-of-the-barrel, fire-sale, iron-loaded, penny-pinching number-cruncher architecturally-stigmatized bottle-green vitrics associated with the worst of our condo construction from the previous wave." I mean, just compare it with the glass in the Stantec building right in front of it:

42! I had no idea you could speak with a @ProjectEnd accent! 🤣

Hands over the award for Unambiguous Opinion of the Day!

Last edited:

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not here to stand up for the colour, but it's the same product line that's also being installed at 100 QQ and the new Piano Courthouse. Early 2000s window wall, this ain't.

Perhaps HPA has some answering to do?

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Is it HPA ultimately? Heard it through the grapevine that it was a cost-saving move by RioCan who are not quite as used to the finer points of architecture as are Allied REIT and of course HPA themselves. It has not been long that RioCan has been in the AAA office tower development business, and in this case it seems to show.

I do think HPA needs to take some ribbing here for the non-functional cross-bracing. It does look good from a distance, but come on HPA… you guys are amongst my fav 😍😘🥰 architects in town, but oooooffffff!

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if the southern residential towers will use a different hue of glass/curtain wall on their north and south facades, and if there will be any big material differences between the Rio Can rental tower and the two Tridel towers.

soufflot

Member Bio
Reaction score
I do think HPA needs to take some ribbing here for the non-functional cross-bracing.

I get the feeling this might be an unpopular opinion on here but... why? Should they also take a ribbing for the non-functional brick panels planned for the Wellington facades? Or the stone veneers used elsewhere? At the end of the day, aren't they all different shades of adornment masquerading as structural elements?

The architecture nerd in me also thinks structural cross bracing would have been really cool. But even though that wasn't ultimately possible (presumably for reasons beyond HPA's control), I'm still glad they decided to give this building more personality than strictly structurally necessary.