The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

ushahid

Member Bio
Reaction score
i think both the claddings have same shade of green but the cladding on the podium is less shiny and the cladding on tower is more shiny.

Full Metal Junkie

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks for investigating! It’s funny though, your pic now makes the lower portion look silvery, while the upper looks green ?
That's the thing, the cladding here is fairly interesting in the way it plays with the light. It's a fairly saturated shade of dark green when viewed straight on, but has a mirror sheen when viewed at an angle. In this case it's reflecting grey skies, hence looking silvery. The cladding here will make this office tower look fairly unique among the rest of the skyline, so it gets thumbs up from me.

Contra

Member Bio
Reaction score
I love how through the staging of this project we get to see lower level construction that normally would've been hidden from view. Fascinating to watch.

Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
As the glass continues to go up I have a good feeling about it. Even if it remains this greenish colour, it still looks pretty good now that more of it is up there, and looks very different depending on the angle and reflection.

I have no doubt this project will end up just as amazing as everyone expects it to

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
Caught In The Act - And Up She Goes

Every once in a while, a tower crane can be seen, most often on weekends, just sitting there, holding up a large concrete block. Stays that way for a number of hours, and then the concrete block gets put back down.

This afternoon, the north crane for the office tower at The Well was doing this. But this time it was different - with the view from our place, the concrete block was positioned in front of the CIBC Square project. Several hours after first seeing it, the block had moved up against its CIBC Square backdrop.

The conclusion - the block acts as a counterweight to the crane's counterweights, to give crane's shaft a more neutral and balanced position within the shaft's base structure while the crane is unattached at its base and is raised (lifted by the hydraulic jacks) to its next level. The rate of rise is so slow that it is not perceptible when watching it, but can only be seen when there is a background against which the change in height in the block can be noticed over a period of time.

20200307_175313.jpg

Last edited: