Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Man, from a distance, it looks like a stunner.

I agree, if by "stunned" you mean stunned that a developer could miss the mark by so far. Or stunned that they had the audacity to evoke the term Art Deco when advertising this monstrosity. Or stunned that a tall precast eyesore could be built at such an iconic urban intersection.

It would have taken so little money to elevate this to acceptable or even likeable, in my opinion.

Uptown by Taller, Better at SSC....

IMGP7325.jpg

Casa is so beautiful

I agree, if by "stunned" you mean stunned that a developer could miss the mark by so far. Or stunned that they had the audacity to evoke the term Art Deco when advertising this monstrosity. Or stunned that a tall precast eyesore could be built at such an iconic urban intersection.

It would have taken so little money to elevate this to acceptable or even likeable, in my opinion.

Agreed.

I don’t understand the “hate-on” some of you have for this building. I like it very much. Casa is so average by comparison.

well the 'N' is silent and the 'm' is actually pronounced like a 'p' so if you read the posts aloud (like i do), it would sound like "Ape" -you know, like the big monkey. Please to make your aquaintance Big Daddy!

Regarding Uptown, i find it very visually pleasing: clean, modest, understated elegance -at least in this picture.

Casa is beautiful. Uptown is a dump. What upsets me most though is that it had some (and I mean a very small some) potential, as from a distance they did a decent job with the profile. Everything else destroys it though; the precast, the windows, the horrendous "crown". Even Mississauga doesn't deserve this, despite the fact they've allowed monstrosities like Chicago and One Park to go up.

Casa is beautiful. Uptown is a dump. What upsets me most though is that it had some (and I mean a very small some) potential, as from a distance they did a decent job with the profile. Everything else destroys it though; the precast, the windows, the horrendous "crown". Even Mississauga doesn't deserve this, despite the fact they've allowed monstrosities like Chicago and One Park to go up.

Whoa whoa whoa say what you want about Chicago - I don't like that building either, but One Park is awesome.. it looks like it belongs in Gotham City! I would gladly replace Uptown with "the Batman building"..

One Park is kind of cheesy but it turned out better than the Uptown, IMO. It has the verticality that Uptown lacks (think Traynor's suggestion) and its crown was actually completed. That said, they completely screwed up the most important part: street level. It's atrocious.

One Park is kind of cheesy but it turned out better than the Uptown, IMO. It has the verticality that Uptown lacks (think Traynor's suggestion) and its crown was actually completed. That said, they completely screwed up the most important part: street level. It's atrocious.

Okay the streel-level part I definitely agree with, but thats the way all towers in Mississauga look like at the street.

Okay the streel-level part I definitely agree with, but thats the way all towers in Mississauga look like at the street.

Wrong. They do not all look like that at the street. Try actually going there and walking on the streets and see for yourself.

As for the roof of this building... they have changed it a bit, but mostly it looks the same. It's still not finished though, so we'll have to see what comes yet.

DSCN6184.jpg
82526628vt1.jpg

The initial design for the Uptown roof actually had a 'pointy hat' type of crown (not nearly as tall at the Daniel's New York Towers or Capital projects, but a short spire type crown), but that was subsequently changed to the version now being completed. Initial design was also had two additional two floors and 10 meters of additional height.

There seems to be a lot of focus on the final product vs the rendering, but the final crown is near identical to the drawings submitted to the city planning department years ago and would certainly be 100% identical to the construction and architectural drawings... which isn't to say that is the better outcome, just that it is obviously the expected outcome.

Last edited:

Back