Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

oHHHH I rather like what I see! I hope it will help and appease the loss of the lovely 60's 'modern' facade.

I was wondering if someone in Laymans terms can describe the difference between window-wall and curtain wall? I've always wondered what the main difference (besides the fact that window wall is cheap and pretty inefficient) between the two are. A quick Google search didnt help me much.

I was wondering if someone in Laymans terms can describe the difference between window-wall and curtain wall? I've always wondered what the main difference (besides the fact that window wall is cheap and pretty inefficient) between the two are. A quick Google search didnt help me much.

There are a few differences:

-Curtain wall hangs in front of the floor slab and is anchored back to the slab at each level to support the dead load of each story of glazing. Window wall typically sits on the slab edge spanning from floor to floor with a spandrel panel "cap" over the exposed slab edge
-Assembly wise, curtain wall enclosures are glazed from the exterior as opposed to interior. Window wall panels are installed from the interior.
-Performance wise, curtain wall can act as a rainscreen, meaning water that penetrates joints is designed to drain along a secondary drainage plane within the joint. Window wall systems are face-sealed, any water infiltration is a failure in the system.
-Window wall also relies heavily on the joints at each floor level. Differential settlement/movement can lead to air and water leakage. Curtain wall, because it hangs off the slab, can absorb differential movement between it and the concrete/steel structure.

It gets a lot more complicated when you look at different types of curtain and or window wall: stick-framed vs unitized curtain wall or hybrid window wall, but I think those are the basics. I'm not an expert so I'll let someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The silver looks like pressure pad in that photo, so I'd assume a cap is still to come?

It looks like all the silver pressure plates will be capped creating shadow lines versus the flush black structural silicone joints. I guess the pattern will emerge as more vertical panels are added.

It looks like all the silver pressure plates will be capped creating shadow lines versus the flush black structural silicone joints. I guess the pattern will emerge as more vertical panels are added.
Yup.

Here's a close-up of the podium rendering. (Note that these are created before final materials have been selected and paid for, so take this as information about their intentions, and not necessarily a promise of the final details.)
480Caps.jpg

So... by switching to curtainwall, and using the external steel frames, I guess they have also technically increased the square footage of the office levels too.
They have, and we really never expected that before shots of the steel frame began to appear. The changes to the exterior of the office tower are covered entirely through the Site Plan Control application, (I believe), and those are documents that the City does not make available online. (Maybe someone knows otherwise in that regard? We've certainly never seen any.)

What we get to see are the Zoning Amendment applications, and those are all about massing and height and separations… without mention at all of changes to the office floors. Apparently the building will end up with about 1,507 m2 of office space on each floor. Apparently those floors were about 1,385 m2 before, so there's over an 8% increase in floor space coming based on the new frame and cladding.

Attachments

• 480Caps.jpg
    480Caps.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 2,123
Always wondered what the difference was, but never followed up. I didn't think there was much, but this explanation makes it much clearer. Curtain wall appears to be the better option, but i'm
sure that is never explained to buyers. Can we assume window wall is cheaper to install?

Back